Make a donation

Author Topic: Engine mounts - the Teutonic_Tamer method . . .  (Read 22924 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Engine mounts - the Teutonic_Tamer method . . .
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 09:49:58 pm »
TT where are these pics :sad1:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 10:10:32 pm »
If you don't like it give vwr a call and ask them as you might as well ask them instead of complaining about it
So you think shafting others is acceptable?  :confused:

And for the record - this is NOT me slagging off VWR - as I rate many of their activities extremely highly - namely their motorsport operations.  :innocent:  And I think Sam Roach is a top bloke.  :drinking:  But just 'cause I like some aspects of a company, and not others - that doesn't mean I should have a totally polarised opinion of them!

And yes, their customer service is good too, as is their speed of product despatch.  :congrats:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 10:16:50 pm »
I think i like shafting others  :ashamed: only kidding but like I said TT give sam a call and I am sure he will be more than happy to tell the answers to your ????

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »
lets not sully a good thread with the 'usual' ... :confused:

nice work TT. some good points , I think stokeballon also mentioned that the side mounts were the biggest culprits too going against the idea of the lower being the primary strain taker. cant visualise in my head why but fact is more proof than theory lol

personally i think silicone is a cop out, when you could have created some dynamic engine mounts ala the new porsche's design  :signLOL:

you plan to post up instructions / proper part no's for others to follow the DIY?

Why would I use new mounts as a basis for the mod and not my old 'well used' ones out of interest?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 10:49:49 pm »

nice work TT. some good points , I think stokeballon also mentioned that the side mounts were the biggest culprits too going against the idea of the lower being the primary strain taker. cant visualise in my head why but fact is more proof than theory lol

personally i think silicone is a cop out, when you could have created some dynamic engine mounts ala the new porsche's design  :signLOL:

you plan to post up instructions / proper part no's for others to follow the DIY?

Why would I use new mounts as a basis for the mod and not my old 'well used' ones out of interest?

could be the 4 week curing time John, you would either be car less  for 4 weeks or be forced to buy a new set to run with in the mean time?????

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 10:55:19 pm »
They are still on the JKM website.  :wink:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 10:57:13 pm »
aaah good point gaz  :happy2: duh  :signLOL:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 11:11:00 pm »
I think i like shafting others  :ashamed: only kidding but like I said TT give sam a call and I am sure he will be more than happy to tell the answers to your ????
I don't doubt you in the slightest - I'm quite sure Sam would tell me.  :smiley:  But that doesn't make it any better that someone (whoever it may be) stoped JKM selling them too.  :popcornsoda:

Anyway, like I said, I don't want this to get into a traders slanging match.  :happy2:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 11:32:26 pm »
:happy2: :happy2:

I can see where peeps are coming from.  Yes, the lower rear mount should be the 'primary taker' of the torque reaction strain - and indeed it is.  However, as much as we slag and beef about the OEM lower rear mount, it actually has fairly limited tollerance for movement - even when totally shagged.  There is probabaly only about 3-4mm each way (back and forth) in the lower mount - which is what the cheaper options of the poly inserts fill quite well (be they a very poorly engineered solution).

But both the side mounts have about 4 times the amount of play in them.  Now, 4 times doesn't sound that much - but think how they are are being acted upon.  With the lower rear, it is being acted upon at the very extreme of the engine (the furthest away from any imaginary 'centre pivot') so basically with the lower mount - what you get is what you see.  But the two side mounts are probably as close to the 'centre pivot' as possible.  Lets for example say there is 16mm movement each way - multiply 16mm by the length of the 'pivot' (so that is from the centre of the side mounts, to say the bottom of the sump) - then you can see why the two side mounts have a far greater effect than many may actually think.

personally i think silicone is a cop out,
Huh - why?  Silicone filling of voided engine mounts has long been the de-facto way of stiffening mounts on Group N cars (rallying and circuit racing) which need to keep OEM parts.

when you could have created some dynamic engine mounts ala the new porsche's design  :signLOL:
You lost me there . . .

What, for the whole shebang, or just my silicone mods?

Two reasons - firstly, the silicone really does need at least 2 weeks, ideally 4, to properly cure - you are talking about prolly 3inch thick silicone - and mine were still vinegar stinky after about 6 weeks - so can you prop up your engine on bricks for that long whilst they go off?  Secondly, my old engine mounts were well and truely fooooked - when you use silicone, you are actually supplementing the existing rubber in the mounts - so if the existing rubber is past its sell by, then you are only really doing half a job.

Time for kip now . . .  :indifferent:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 11:39:42 pm »
They are still on the JKM website.  :wink:
The lower rear one ain't.  JKM had to remove it after I discussed with them.  They only have the Vibra Technics side mounts - because they still have stock of these - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsimotormounts.htm#tfsi

Oh and don't buy those THS FR3 lower rear mounts from JKM either - they are fundamentally identical to how I modified a set of new OEM mounts - these still need that VW special workshop tool to pre-shrink them before pressing into the subframe - so you will be cursing trying to fit them.
------

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »
Cheers shaun  :happy2:

theory on amount of relative amounts of movement seems sound.

RE: silicon a cop out / porsche active mounts , I was making a joke that it was too easy for a man of your talents  :grin: and that you could have copied porsche
Porsche Active Engine Mounts linky

Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2010, 10:25:24 am »

Now with correctly set adjustable ARBs and properly restrained ponies - there is no need for a Quaife.

Oh, final comment to report - I too now hear the 'whine' from my DSG in 2nd gear - I think this was also reported by RedRobin.

....I agree with your findings about the big benefits of these engine mounts but am surprised by your Quaife comment. I can see how the mounts would lessen the work the Quaife needs to do but I need convincing that a Quaife is of no benefit when such engine mounts are installed. Or am I taking your words too literally?

Obviously it's reassuring and good to know you're hearing the same (or similar) 'whine' as on my car. There's absolutely no effect on performance that I can detect due to the 'whine'. Fortunately I'm someone like Mat who actually enjoys all the added sounds from the engine bay - As one becomes familiar it becomes easy to spot any changes in sounds which may herald a problem which needs solving. I absolutely hate quiet cars! 

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2010, 10:36:09 am »
anyone got a pic of the mount split apart ?
I cant quite picture where the voids are and how the mount moves (car side vs engine side)

from this page
http://www.thsperformance.co.uk/product/FR3_TOP_Engine_Mounts_1.8_TFSI_2.0T_FSI%7CTDI_THSFR3-MK5TOP
I found, but it still doesnt quite make sense

does the other side just slot in ?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
BLOG | BUILD

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 10:55:36 am »
The lower rear one ain't.  JKM had to remove it after I discussed with them.  They only have the Vibra Technics side mounts - because they still have stock of these - http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tfsimotormounts.htm#tfsi

Oh and don't buy those THS FR3 lower rear mounts from JKM either - they are fundamentally identical to how I modified a set of new OEM mounts - these still need that VW special workshop tool to pre-shrink them before pressing into the subframe - so you will be cursing trying to fit them.

I fitted some BETA FR3 lower mounts happily on the bench with a vice and a "improvised" press took me no more than 1hr 30mins from start to finish....don't see why you would have so many problems....

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 12:46:58 pm »

I fitted some BETA FR3 lower mounts happily on the bench with a vice and a "improvised" press took me no more than 1hr 30mins from start to finish....don't see why you would have so many problems....

Im with Carl on this one TT.  I have fitted the THS mounts with no issues.  We just charge 1 hour for the lower mount.  Carl did well to get it done in a vise in around 1 1/2 hours.  I agree that it would be easier to shrink them first, but even unshrunk they still go in with no loss of plastic.

I wish we could get the VT mounts direct from VT as they are another good option.  Even our trade price from 'Racingline' is crazy expensive, so we just dont bother.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook