Make a donation

Author Topic: And so it begins...  (Read 1205 times)

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
And so it begins...
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:00:52 pm »
Well the VW warranty on my car is coming to an end in a couple of months. So it's time for a few changes. Mostly in the lighting department, which is (IMO) one of the Golfs weakest areas.

So I have a set of xenons heading my way (need ballasts and bulbs and a levelling kit - already have the headlamp washers  :happy2: ). Having had xenons on my last three cars I've never really got on with the standard halogens on the Golf - even with Nightbreakers I don't think the lights are great on dipped (full beam is pretty good though). I'm still contemplating whether to DIY or to have someone come and do the dirty work for me. Read a few how-tos (here and elsewhere) and I can see what needs to be done and it seems to be within my abilities, but interested to hear of any real-life experiences - and if anyone knows anyone in or around Essex that can do this job I'd be interested to know who.

Part two of the plan is to swap the rear lights for the LED version. So much better (again IMO) - every time I follow a Passat or a Golf+ I'm impressed with how much clearer and faster the LEDs are compared to the stock rears.

Once I've got the lighting sorted, a remap is on the cards. Will see what route to take closer to the time - Revo is interesting but I have past (positive) experience of Bluefin as well so it remains to be seen. Can't see myself going beyond stage 1 though.

Along the way, probably also time to ditch the ashtray (never used) and get the stowage tray instead ie. something I can actually use!!  :signLOL:

As for other things, well who knows. I'm personally a great fan of stock appearance-wise - the rear LEDs are actually the closest I will have ever been to a non-stock appearance mod, insofar as they were never available as an option in the UK - and IMO the stock car is a good looking vehicle that doesn't need much help (ok, ok, maybe it's about 15mm too high on 18's but I can live with that). A WALK is more likely :smiley:
Having said that, some of the carbon wrap work I've seen here has been pretty impressive - but I'm not sure I'm enough of a fan to go for it myself.

'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)