Make a donation

Author Topic: Fitting uprated mounts  (Read 2630 times)

Offline oak_grun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
Fitting uprated mounts
« on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:34 pm »
How hard is it to fit a set of vibratechnic engine and subframe mounts?

Could it be done on driveway with a trolley jack or is a ramp required? Any guides and list of tools required?

Thanks in advance.

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Fitting uprated mounts
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:22:37 pm »
dont know if this will help you out i have not done it myself but had a look recently along with so much other stuff i would like to be able to do myself, the engine mounts dont look that bad to do dont know about any others.

2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 04:29:54 pm »
Yep, easily done on the drive with axle stands and a trolley jack to support the weight of the engine / gearbox when you take the old mount off.

Gearbox side = Battery out, battery tray out, wiring harness trunking unclipped and moved out of the way, jack up the gearbox slightly to take the load off the mount, remove 3 x gearbox to bracket bolts, remove 4 x mount to body bolts.   Fit new mount, drop jack down.  Done.

Engine side = Jack up with a big peice of wood on the sump to spread the load, expansion tank moved out of the way, carbon can removed or moved out of the way, nearby hoses moved out of the way, washer fluid neck unbolted and moved out of the way, remove carbon can bracket, remove 2 x 13mm bolts (body to mount) and bracket, undo 2 x bracket to engine bolts, remove 2 x mount to body bolts.  Fit new mount, drop jack down. Done.

Subframe mount = remove torque link (22mm bolt and 2 x 16 mm iirc), remove subframe, hacksaw through the plastic parts of the OEM dogbone bushes, punch them out, fit vibratechnics dogbone mounts remembering to align the notch in the top bush with the anti roll bar.

Body to engine mount = 40nm + 90 degrees. Always replace.
Mount to engine / gearbox = 60nm + 90 degrees.  Always replace.
22mm torque link bolt = 100nm + 90 degrees. Always replace.

The 2 side mounts are 30 mins each if you're handy with the spanners.

Subframe mount is about an hour.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline oak_grun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:28:45 pm »
Yep, easily done on the drive with axle stands and a trolley jack to support the weight of the engine / gearbox when you take the old mount off.

Gearbox side = Battery out, battery tray out, wiring harness trunking unclipped and moved out of the way, jack up the gearbox slightly to take the load off the mount, remove 3 x gearbox to bracket bolts, remove 4 x mount to body bolts.   Fit new mount, drop jack down.  Done.

Engine side = Jack up with a big peice of wood on the sump to spread the load, expansion tank moved out of the way, carbon can removed or moved out of the way, nearby hoses moved out of the way, washer fluid neck unbolted and moved out of the way, remove carbon can bracket, remove 2 x 13mm bolts (body to mount) and bracket, undo 2 x bracket to engine bolts, remove 2 x mount to body bolts.  Fit new mount, drop jack down. Done.

Subframe mount = remove torque link (22mm bolt and 2 x 16 mm iirc), remove subframe, hacksaw through the plastic parts of the OEM dogbone bushes, punch them out, fit vibratechnics dogbone mounts remembering to align the notch in the top bush with the anti roll bar.

Body to engine mount = 40nm + 90 degrees. Always replace.
Mount to engine / gearbox = 60nm + 90 degrees.  Always replace.
22mm torque link bolt = 100nm + 90 degrees. Always replace.

The 2 side mounts are 30 mins each if you're handy with the spanners.

Subframe mount is about an hour.

Cheers Kev :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:42:13 pm »
No worries!  The torque link bolt might be 21mm actually, thinking back to when I last did it.

It's a straight forward job.  Just don't drop the engine on the floor  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 08:02:39 pm »
Might be worth doing a cambelt and water pump change if they are close to due date.  :happy2:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~