Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake bleeding, brake fluid changes - IMPORTANT  (Read 52330 times)

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Brake bleeding, brake fluid changes - IMPORTANT
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 12:46:42 pm »
In a way you can bleed a DSG, but its done through a computer and resets all the adaptions  :love:

The A4's/A6's dont come in too often for brake fluid changes, but its a tad awkward to bleed them.  The clutches dont always pressure bleed that well so a few pumps of the pedal is often required.

TT - How do you find SRF with the ABS?
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »
In a way you can bleed a DSG, but its done through a computer and resets all the adaptions  :love:
Talk about playing with words! :P  Anyway, if you just re-adapt the DSG, then you are still using the same fluid (and it aint no DOT4)!

The A4's/A6's dont come in too often for brake fluid changes, but its a tad awkward to bleed them.  The clutches dont always pressure bleed that well so a few pumps of the pedal is often required.
But how do you access the clutch bleed nipples? :popcornsoda:  Unless you have hands like a pixie, with 46 joints in your arm - it is virtually impossible to even get your hand in there, never mind an 11mm spanner to crack the nipple!

TT - How do you find SRF with the ABS?
I've no interest in sending my ABS/ESP to an early grave, so I won't be using SRF or RBF or any other race fluid.  These types of fluid are meant for very specific racing applications, where the ABS has been physically removed from the vehicle.  If any trader or workshop uses these type of fluids in any road car with ESP - then they should clearly document the customer that they may toast their ESP unit.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 10:59:13 pm »
Old fashioned thank you  :happy2:

You're welcome.  Let us know if you experience the same black flush!

Well all done,  :driver: You are right its a bit if a oh sh*t moment when the pedal starts grinding, glad you give a heads up on that.

My mate did say that after the ABS cycle the fluid was dirtier than normal but not black (I was inside doing pumpy pumpy so didn't see it - on the pedal that is :laugh:). Dunno if the age and mileage has anything to do with it not being fully black, its 38k just over 3yrs, and had one fluid change about 13 months ago by the previous owner, not sure if that was done this way or not.

Oh and clutch was bled too my mate said in 10yrs he has never bled a clutch at the same time as brakes - maybe I should look for a new mechanic mate?? :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:01:38 pm by Rob GTI »
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 09:18:20 am »
Old fashioned thank you  :happy2:

You're welcome.  Let us know if you experience the same black flush!

Well all done,  :driver: You are right its a bit if a oh sh*t moment when the pedal starts grinding, glad you give a heads up on that.
:happy2:

My mate did say that after the ABS cycle the fluid was dirtier than normal but not black (I was inside doing pumpy pumpy so didn't see it - on the pedal that is :laugh:). Dunno if the age and mileage has anything to do with it not being fully black, its 38k just over 3yrs, and had one fluid change about 13 months ago by the previous owner, not sure if that was done this way or not.
Age, rather than mileage has the greatest effect on causing brake fluid to deteriorate.  Maybe the reason your fluid wasn't black is down to its spritely age  :P - or maybe heaven forbid - the stealer actually did the job correctly last time!  :surprised:

Oh and clutch was bled too my mate said in 10yrs he has never bled a clutch at the same time as brakes - maybe I should look for a new mechanic mate?? :evilgrin:
Clutch bleeding isn't actually an 'official' scheduled item.  And historically, hydraulic clutches used to have their own separate fluid resevoir - so there was no scope for cross-contamination of fluid between the clutch and brakes.  But modern cars hydraulic clutches now 'piggy-back' their resevoir onto the brake master cylinder.  So if you are dilligent enough to regularly change your brake fluid - but omit your clutch fluid, you risk 'diluting' the efforts of your work (quite literally)!
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

oddhod

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2010, 06:06:50 am »
Just came across this post whilst browsing and just had to sign up to say that this is complete nonsense.
Conventional brake bleeding is all that is required and is perfectly sufficient. You send brake fluid into the resevoir and if you open the nsr bleed nipple for example it will travel though the master cylinder, through the pipes, through the abs unit, through some more pipes and out of the caliper. Job done.
There is a basic setting facility to activate abs pump whilst bleeding but this is only if part of the system has been emptied. ie. if a caliper was replaced.

Offline tmagnet

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 08:06:09 pm »
Did you notice any or much difference by replacing the old fluid in the ABS unit?

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 11:45:01 pm »
I wouldn't have noticed any difference as I upgraded the calipers, discs and pads at the same time - sorry.
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

MPS

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 11:29:50 pm »
I'm trying to ruffle a few feathers and make everyone aware of this problem of dealers cutting corners with brake fluid servicing on VW's UK facebook page. Mwuhahahah!  :evilgrin: Bet my name'll be black-listed at my local dealer now, I can kiss my warranty claim for rusty wheelarches goodbye!  :grin:

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 10:40:50 am »
if my car is new (2000 miles) and i fit braided lines and re-bleed with VW fluid do i still need to run ABS on VCDS or will i be ok? obviously the fluid will be clean but will there be air left in without the VCDS cycle?

also will i need to bleed the clutch if i change the lines?

thanks

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 01:56:33 pm »
Just came across this post whilst browsing and just had to sign up to say that this is complete nonsense.
Conventional brake bleeding is all that is required and is perfectly sufficient. You send brake fluid into the resevoir and if you open the nsr bleed nipple for example it will travel though the master cylinder, through the pipes, through the abs unit, through some more pipes and out of the caliper. Job done.
There is a basic setting facility to activate abs pump whilst bleeding but this is only if part of the system has been emptied. ie. if a caliper was replaced.

You, sir, are talking utter bollox!  You clearly havn't got a fcuking clue what you are saying, have you. :fighting:

Since when have Mk5 Golfs had just 'ABS' rather than the full-blown 'ESP'?  Do you drool out of your back passage, and use andrex on your mouth?  :indifferent:

Go fcuk off back under the little rock where trolls hide, there's a good chap!  :booty:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 01:58:08 pm »
Did you notice any or much difference by replacing the old fluid in the ABS unit?

Nope.  But I'll sleep better at night, knowing I've hopefully saved my ESP unit from an early grave.  :happy2:
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 02:00:35 pm »
I'm trying to ruffle a few feathers and make everyone aware of this problem of dealers cutting corners with brake fluid servicing on VW's UK facebook page. Mwuhahahah!  :evilgrin: Bet my name'll be black-listed at my local dealer now, I can kiss my warranty claim for rusty wheelarches goodbye!  :grin:

What about all the other gazillion corners they cut, like using the wrong engine oil, not changing DSG fluid properly, fitting cheap budget tyres on 2nd hand cars, employing 'technicians' with NO qualifications, etc, etc
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 02:03:03 pm »
if my car is new (2000 miles) and i fit braided lines and re-bleed with VW fluid do i still need to run ABS on VCDS or will i be ok? obviously the fluid will be clean but will there be air left in without the VCDS cycle?

also will i need to bleed the clutch if i change the lines?
If your car is genuinely 'new' - ie, not a car which was built in 2007, but parked up on some disused airfield or docks, then registered as 'new' in 2011 - then no.  :wink:
------

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:49 pm »
the tyres are week 27 2011 and was delivered in septemeber so i know it was built between july or august

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 11:13:25 pm »
the tyres are week 27 2011 and was delivered in septemeber so i know it was built between july or august
The tyres could have been changed.  The VIN is a far more reliable method of determining the cars age - the 10th digit is the model year.  :wink:
------