Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake bleeding, brake fluid changes - IMPORTANT  (Read 52351 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Brake bleeding, brake fluid changes - IMPORTANT
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 11:25:04 pm »
Hi Sean, Ive been meaning to ask you for a while now….I have noticed probably 2 times now that when I brake really sharp (i.e. foot to the floor) I have felt a grinding in the pedal. Could this be related to brake fluid issues?

Thanks,

Carlo. :smiley:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 11:51:56 pm »
Hi Sean, Ive been meaning to ask you for a while now….I have noticed probably 2 times now that when I brake really sharp (i.e. foot to the floor) I have felt a grinding in the pedal. Could this be related to brake fluid issues?

Thanks,

Nothing to do with fluid - that is just your ABS kicking in.  :happy2:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 11:55:13 pm »

Thanks,

Nothing to do with fluid - that is just your ABS kicking in.  :happy2:

Thanks Bud  :notworthy:

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2013, 09:26:17 pm »
Wow, I did this, this evening... lots of black stuff... holding the pedal back is fun, cheers :happy2:

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2013, 07:05:35 pm »
Worth noting, that the ABS purge takes a huge chunk out of the battery power; today I had an Airbag warning malfunction, followed by no electrics... oh sh!t was my first reaction, then tried to start the car, nothing...... Battery, doh.  Quick charge and it was fine; took the long way home to get some juice into it.  :happy2:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2015, 02:10:10 pm »
Hello. Found this from the search function. Some good advice.

Although I'm relatively handy with basic mechanical tasks (I've changed discs and pads and managed to fit coil overs all on my own before), I've NEVER bled brakes before. Should I stop here and get a garage to do this for me?

I've got VCDS, A caliper winder tool, new brake discs and pads for the rear, new braided lines all round and new discs, pads, calipers to fit to the front. I'll get brake fluid from TPS (how much is needed)

Can I have a bit more detail on the process of bleeding once you've plugged in VCDS?

Do you need to just put it into 1 mode and then bleed it once.. or does it need bleeding in all of the 4 modes that were previously mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Johnsy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 11:58:44 pm »
Thread Revival!

Anybody in or around Newcastle upon Tyne who can do the VCDS abs trickery for me ?

Offline Flyingscotsman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2016, 08:27:35 am »
Just thought I'd draw attention to this helpful thread on the importance of using VCDS to cycle the ABS during brake bleeding, and of flushing with plenty of fluid.

Did my brakes at the weekend and after using VCDS got about 100ml of pretty black fluid out of the rear calipers. This is despite the fact that I paid a VW dealer for a "brake fluid service" only last year!

I used about 1.5 litres of fluid to flush all four calipers (~350ml from each).   

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 08:53:57 pm »
Just thought I'd draw attention to this helpful thread on the importance of using VCDS to cycle the ABS during brake bleeding, and of flushing with plenty of fluid.
It is indeed a very helpful and important thread.  It really deserves to be a <cough>STICKY<cough>  :evilgrin:

Did my brakes at the weekend and after using VCDS got about 100ml of pretty black fluid out of the rear calipers. This is despite the fact that I paid a VW dealer for a "brake fluid service" only last year!
If it was only 100ml of fluid from your rear calipers - and bearing in mind the extra length of pipework to the rears, I would strongly doubt that came from the ABS/ESP unit.  More likely to be the seals in your rear calipers wearing which was what tainted the fluid.

And 90% of VW stealers are utter scum regarding brake fluid changes.  My ex-SWMBO asked me to check over her recently purchased genuine DasAuto approved Mk6 TDI - and the brake fluid is BLACK in the master cylinder reservoir.  Car has had full main dealer service history, AND the DasAuto used car sales check (which is supposed to check brake fluid condition) - and the amount of boxes they ticked, but blatantly failed to do is truely shocking.  The bluetooth head unit and DIS still had the previous owners full phone book and handset still stored.  :fighting:

I used about 1.5 litres of fluid to flush all four calipers (~350ml from each).
1.5 litres is a bit on the sparse side - especially if it has never been bled properly previously.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline IOMAL

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:52 pm »
Forgive my ignorance,is this what your on about when you say  VCDS .....or is it another piece of kit that's lots more dosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2017, 03:46:15 pm »
Forgive my ignorance,is this what your on about when you say  VCDS .....or is it another piece of kit that's lots more dosh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Second option man.

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU_9.html#product_information

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2017, 06:19:54 pm »
So sorry to be stupid, how much would brake fluid should I need to do all 4 corners plus clutch? Then am guessing all 4 corners again when flushing the abs? Would I need to redo the clutch for the 2nd time? Thanks.
MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2017, 08:52:45 am »
Gave this a go on mine yesterday and failed. It's a completely empty system with new brakes front and rear. I put the pressure bleeeder on (10psi) and bled them manually and finished with the clutch. Then plugged in the laptop and used "basic settings" and followed the guide for a couple of times. Didn't really help and just seems to be  pouring brake fluid down the drain. (hypothetically)

Can anyone confirm if you are using the "basic settings" function or just using the "output tests" to kick the abs pump in while holding the brake?
Both my brake and clutch pedal go to the floor still.

Offline GTICZ

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2017, 11:50:18 pm »
i think, you will need to a second man to work with basic setting... with output tests it can be done by your self, but its ust my guess

Offline M4T VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2017, 01:18:21 pm »
That's what i did. I did have a 2nd man with me but the basic settings goes on forever and you end up using loads of fluid. I bet the dealers dont use that method!