Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake bleeding, brake fluid changes - IMPORTANT  (Read 52333 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Brake bleeding, brake fluid changes - IMPORTANT
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2018, 09:13:57 pm »
So sorry to be stupid, how much would brake fluid should I need to do all 4 corners plus clutch? Then am guessing all 4 corners again when flushing the abs? Would I need to redo the clutch for the 2nd time? Thanks.
It can honestly depend on if it has ever previously been done properly.  I would personally make sure I had at least three litres of brake fluid.

And the clutch only needs doing once - leave it until the very last - and ONLY use a pressure bleeder.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Brake bleeding, brake fluid changes - IMPORTANT
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2018, 09:23:09 pm »
Gave this a go on mine yesterday and failed. It's a completely empty system with new brakes front and rear. I put the pressure bleeeder on (10psi) and bled them manually and finished with the clutch. Then plugged in the laptop and used "basic settings" and followed the guide for a couple of times. Didn't really help and just seems to be  pouring brake fluid down the drain. (hypothetically)
You need to make sure ALL bleed nipples are closed when cycling the ABS/ESP unit.

The VAS5051 type 'bleed' method is only meant to be used with higher pressure, and much greater capacity and flow rate pressure bleeders.  A 'diy' type pressure bleeder with 10psi will never keep up with the very aggressive VAS bleed method.  I have known master cylinder reservoir seals to collapse when using crap pressure bleeders!

Can anyone confirm if you are using the "basic settings" function or just using the "output tests" to kick the abs pump in while holding the brake?
Not done it for a while, but I think it was just the output test.

Both my brake and clutch pedal go to the floor still.
Whoops.  Epic fail.  :confused:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~