Make a donation

Author Topic: DRLs - anyone tried these? ** now with pics on pg10 **  (Read 109182 times)

Offline Woody.Guern

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: DRLs - anyone tried these? ** now with pics on pg10 **
« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2014, 10:10:47 pm »
Hi Martin,
yes scotchloks used as supplied in the kit, not got round to testing with a multimeter yet. Just been out tonight in the dark and the  drls are way too bright! disconnected at the fusebox for now until i suss out what is wrong.

Paul

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #286 on: April 01, 2014, 10:35:49 pm »
Scotchlocks are not great and don't always give reliable connections.  All my connections were soldered and wrapped in heatshrink - thanks again Darren!  :drinking:   I think what failed in the end on mine (after more than 3 years) was one of the connections in one of the inline fuse holders.  They let moisture in so if you can, I'd wrap tape (or heatshrink) around each end of the fuse holders.

I'd say that your white wire isn't connected properly to the feed from pin10 on the headlight connector...  Good luck!

Paul.

Offline Woody.Guern

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #287 on: April 05, 2014, 06:20:12 pm »
Hi,

Problem solved !

Turns out that the white wire , number ten is the feed to main beam, so no wonder I wasn't getting any voltage when I  turned on the sidelights! So I connected up to grey/black(?) number 12, which is the feed to the sidelights, now the drl's dim as soon as the side lights are turned on.
 Couldn't get the connection block apart so had to stick a pin through the insulation to test for a voltage. As luck would have it the first wire I tried was the right one!
I can only assume that I was following instructions for GTI and not ED 30, the wiring must be different.....perhaps I should have mentioned this before?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, and maybe this will help someone in the future who has the same problem.

Happy days!!

Paul.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #288 on: April 05, 2014, 06:31:11 pm »
Hi Paul

Glad you got them sorted.  I'm not aware of any wiring differences between GTI and Ed30 but if it works, it works!

Enjoy!

Paul.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: April 06, 2014, 09:54:25 pm »
Hi Paul

Glad you got them sorted.  I'm not aware of any wiring differences between GTI and Ed30 but if it works, it works!

Enjoy!

Paul.

hello paul good to see you back on here :happy2:

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2015, 10:02:05 am »
Good morning guys.

Been reading with intrest these DRL and feel like the front of the car needs something. Can I ask those who
 have very recenty brought some, where did you get them from. Seems to be a number on Ebay from Taiwan!!!

good work on the write up PND.

cheers all

05 GTI 5 Door, sunroof, met paint, 18" monza, Leather Anthacite, front centre armrest, xenon headlights, Lux pack 2, Sensors, Winter Pack.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2015, 10:11:56 am »
Hi

Resurrection of my old thread! Not sure where to buy them from these days but what about these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-5-GTi-V-daytime-running-lights-DRL-new-/261597789313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce8717c81

Even better as you get open grills.  Might be worth a shot.

If you do find any of the Jom ones like in this thread, I have a spare set of the dimming modules and wiring available.

Good luck!

Paul.

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2015, 11:06:47 am »
Paul
many thanks they do look good. I have also seen these below but always worry bout kit from that part of the world. Based in northern scotland I will have to install my self lol

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231497745041?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

05 GTI 5 Door, sunroof, met paint, 18" monza, Leather Anthacite, front centre armrest, xenon headlights, Lux pack 2, Sensors, Winter Pack.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #293 on: April 26, 2015, 11:19:59 am »
Hi

The ones I listed were from Germany so might be a better bet!  If you need installation help locally, Scott (Golfman) is only in Dundee.  He may be able to assist.

Good luck with your search!

Paul.

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: April 26, 2015, 12:00:22 pm »
Paul
Many thanks, deffo something to look into when inreturn from estonia with work. Dundee only 3 hrs so will look up golfman.

How are you finding yours?

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #295 on: April 26, 2015, 02:27:55 pm »
Ha! Mine were still on the GTI when I sold it last year when I got my R!  When I put them on the GTI, it was in the early days of DRLs so not that many about at that time on any cars.  Looked good and now of course I got a pair free with the R!  Times change.

All the best.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: April 26, 2015, 03:13:33 pm »
nice r mate--need pics

Offline Milkman123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: Black GT 170TDi. Full leather, RCD510, 18" charlestones, MDI., only 35k on her from new
« Reply #297 on: May 03, 2015, 08:20:47 pm »
I coded my fogs as DRL.
but found the HB4 bulbs way to bright kept getting flashed.  :stupid:
So I bought some more fog lights off eBay (£15) sanded down the bulb holders and bought a stop light bulb holder off eBay (like skoda and new polos run as DRL) glued them into fogs light, wired them to ordinal loom using a plug again of eBay
Result....OEM looking not dazzerling DRL.  :smiley:
I can't load photo I can't figure it out. Lol   :fighting2:

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: May 17, 2015, 12:02:17 pm »
Well ordered some off the bay. Will have to get them fitted when I get back from estonia in a couple of months. Car electrics is not somthing I have done, so will have to get auto elect to do it.

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: July 03, 2015, 07:39:54 pm »
Time to bring up an old thread. Well just got back from Estonia ( Go there if you have never been as its outstanding). My "self professed" electrician buddy has kindly wired in my DRLs, the ones in the link below, however i think he has wired the live to a constant rather then a switched like i asked. The DRLs stay on when ignition off. Only noted after i got car home and into shade......bloody sun!!! Sadly for me not for him he is on his way to Egypt on holiday!!!!

I have checked and he has wired the live into Fuse box B by battery, position F6. Now not being an auto elect person and not owing a multimeter (yet) can anyone tll me if there are any available live SWITCHED positions in Fuse box B? If not then any available in the fuse box c on dash?

Cheers in advance :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-5-GTi-V-daytime-running-lights-DRL-new-/261597789313?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce8717c81