Make a donation

Author Topic: P0441 EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow  (Read 95762 times)

Offline simonshotter

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: P0441 EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 03:43:29 pm »

ITs here!

willni

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 08:31:06 pm »
Sorry for bringing this up but I've two questions;

1. Has anyone experienced an intermittent lose of power from this?
2. My car's under the Das Welt Auto warranty do you think I can get this covered under it?

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 11:39:18 pm »
I've got this code myself now. I was trying to remove the cap off the top of the canister and ended up snapping the pipe off. It now looks like the pipe in the pic of page 1. My question is how do I swap this pipe out as the other end is attached to a another small white plastic pipe and I can't for the life of me remove it. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:01 am »
A lot of people seem to do that.  When I bought my ED30 I noticed the previous owner glued it back on.

Anyway, removing the other end is just a simple case of unclipping it.  It's the same 'speed fitting' the fuel filter uses, so you press in a couple of tabs whilst pushing the pipe forwards to relieve the tension, then it simply pulls off.   Usually takes a few attempts to find the knack, but it takes seconds when you know how.

Fit the new pipe to the carbon can BEFORE clipping the other end in.   It's a 90 degree-ish twist lock.   You'll never get the cap on/off the carbon can with the pipe in situ without breaking/bending something, hence the pic on page 1.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 08:17:07 pm »
A lot of people seem to do that.  When I bought my ED30 I noticed the previous owner glued it back on.

Anyway, removing the other end is just a simple case of unclipping it.  It's the same 'speed fitting' the fuel filter uses, so you press in a couple of tabs whilst pushing the pipe forwards to relieve the tension, then it simply pulls off.   Usually takes a few attempts to find the knack, but it takes seconds when you know how.

Fit the new pipe to the carbon can BEFORE clipping the other end in.   It's a 90 degree-ish twist lock.   You'll never get the cap on/off the carbon can with the pipe in situ without breaking/bending something, hence the pic on page 1.

A belated thanks for the reply Pudding. I glued the pipe back in place while I waited for the new pipe and the engine light cleared. I replaced it anyway as per your advice (successfully!) and gave the cannister a good shake while I was there. The light went off for almost a month but has come back again now. I guess I'll try a new canister next and hope it's that. On the plus side I haven't had my faulty engine oil light come on for over a month now (touch wood!).

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 09:23:18 pm »
Exact same thing happenned to me over the weekend. Snapped the pipe when trying to change the cannister.

Luckily I managed to get to TPS 10 minutes before closing time. New one cost somewhere between £11 and £15. And then fitted it before connecting the pipe to the rear of the engine.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 09:43:39 pm »
^Did you buy the canister new? How much did it cost can I ask?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2018, 05:32:42 am »
Canisters are best part of £100 from VW. There are cheaper ones on eBay - no idea if they're any good though
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2018, 07:09:16 am »
I paid around the £20 mark from xkd_2013 on ebay. People from this forum have bought things from him before with no issues.

The only problem I had was the O ring on my pipe was a bit loose so wouldn't let the pipe fit into the hole but when I got a new pipe the O ring was more tight. I had to use a bit of fairy on the O ring and the pipe slot straight into the hole.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2018, 09:21:58 am »
Yeah the canister is bloody expensive for a plastic box filled with tiny charcoal pellets.  Anything that throws the EML is expensive because they know you need it to pass inspections.  Gits.

What usually happens is the internal filters start to break up and bits of it get stuck in the pipes, or charcoal pellets find their way into the N80 valve.   And naturally, the box is sealed so you can't service it.  Gits.

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2018, 09:05:24 pm »
Is there a way to tell whether it's the cannister or N80 valve that's failed?

Offline mk1mad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 09:18:54 am »
When mine threw this code, I replaced the n80 valve first and that cured it. Bought the valve new  off eBay so may be a chinese genuine copy.
Fault has not come back in 18 months.
Edition 30
Golf Mk1 5vT

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 05:01:03 pm »
When mine threw this code, I replaced the n80 valve first and that cured it. Bought the valve new  off eBay so may be a chinese genuine copy.
Fault has not come back in 18 months.

I did the same with genuine parts but also replaced the hose that connects to the valve, since it was revised in the meantime. Solved my issue. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 10:00:32 am »
You know when the evap system has a leak because there is no "whooooooosh" when you undo the fuel filler cap.

With N80 valve, they can stick open.  I don't know if it's a normally open or normally closed valve, but if you take it off and you can blow through it both with and without 12V across the pins, it's fooked.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 11:50:29 am »
You know when the evap system has a leak because there is no "whooooooosh" when you undo the fuel filler cap.

With N80 valve, they can stick open.  I don't know if it's a normally open or normally closed valve, but if you take it off and you can blow through it both with and without 12V across the pins, it's fooked.

I think the normal is closed. It just opens when the ECU orders it to, to recycle the gas vapours.