Make a donation

Author Topic: Valeo LED Mk5 Tail Lights Modification....  (Read 120525 times)

Offline cmdrfire

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
Re: Valeo LED Mk5 Tail Lights Modification....
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 06:33:15 pm »
Robin there is a plug and play solution if they can manage to get the inners to perform 3 functions.

But it requires VCDS changes as the inners will use the feed from the old fog light.

Get Chris to call me and I can explain things much better  :happy2:

I understand about the "plug-and-play" functionality and the VCDS changes - we can use VCDS to set the two inners as reverse lights (a la US cars) and use the fog-lamp signal to activate the third level of intensity on the PCBs.

Offline apollo13

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »
Robin there is a plug and play solution if they can manage to get the inners to perform 3 functions.

But it requires VCDS changes as the inners will use the feed from the old fog light.

Get Chris to call me and I can explain things much better  :happy2:

I understand about the "plug-and-play" functionality and the VCDS changes - we can use VCDS to set the two inners as reverse lights (a la US cars) and use the fog-lamp signal to activate the third level of intensity on the PCBs.

You can actually use VCDS to activate brake and tail functions aswell as fog using the fog lamp signal...

As for the twin reverse lights, thats just a simple/crude wiring loom from the existing reverse light to the other. US cars dont have the fog light wired so they have twin reverse from factory.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:38:41 pm by apollo13 »
****Registered VCDS HEX CAN Kent Area For All Retrofits**** GT TDI - Retro fitted by me so far.... OEM Omanyts - Sportlines - GT Sport Front End - GTI Rear and Skirts - Hella Dynabeam Xenons - Heated Leather - Highline Cluster With White LED's and Lit Needles - Armrest - Mk6 GTI MFSW - Skyline OEM LED Tailights - LED RNS 510 With Voice Control - Rear Sensors - 729B Bluetooth - Highline CCM + CECM - AF CAN Gateway - Cornering Fogs - U.S Indicators

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 06:38:10 pm »

Eeh, we could do inner LED foglamp functionality I suppose. There's no reason we cannot, it's just that the discussion I had with Chris we agreed on the "normal" and "brake" functionality. I'll have a chat with him again on Monday.

....Chris did say he'd forgotten to mention to you I wanted 2 fogs if possible.

Chris's controller, from what I can tell, is a proper electronic device capable of decoding analogue voltage levels sent to it by the car's control system. No bleed resistors here :S that doesn't strike me as a particularly nice solution, it's rather crude.

....Then I think that's something more for you to discuss with him.  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 07:21:22 pm »

Chris's controller, from what I can tell, is a proper electronic device capable of decoding analogue voltage levels sent to it by the car's control system. No bleed resistors here :S that doesn't strike me as a particularly nice solution, it's rather crude.

....Then I think that's something more for you to discuss with him.  :happy2:

I'm waiting for Chris to email me the datasheet on the controller  :happy2: As I understand, it's an OEM part used on some other cars that accepts an analogue input from the car and outputs an appropriate voltage.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:02 pm »

I'm waiting for Chris to email me the datasheet on the controller  :happy2: As I understand, it's an OEM part used on some other cars that accepts an analogue input from the car and outputs an appropriate voltage.

....I'm not sure he has your email. Best to txt him your E addy?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 08:13:42 pm »
I have done already!

Offline parks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
  • Red ED30 No. 1778 Detailing World member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 12:07:55 am »
Am I right in thinking that you are hoping to sell these as uk spec?
Standard: Rear parking sensors, Parrot Bluetooth
Retro fitted: MFSW buttons, RCD510, Boot pop, Black Monza II, Xenons, Audi jacking points, open fog light grills.

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 12:15:32 am »
All i want is twin rings, not interested in 2 reverse lights, indicators or fogs
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 01:24:08 am »
This loks great.

I have had a look about but I can't find where to buy the lights? Could you point me in the right direction?

If I can find some I will be looking to you guys to get them legal.  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 01:29:48 am »

Am I right in thinking that you are hoping to sell these as uk spec?

....No. A couple of us are wanting to modify our existing Valeo LED tail lights and a few others have expressed interest in doing the same. After solving how to do it for ourselves we might (according to how complicated or labour intensive it gets) offer to modify other people's units if they send them to us. They will be UK spec so that they pass MOT and are road legal. Not interested in any other result.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 05:36:58 pm »
@ Neo and Lee:

Have spoken again to Chris and he thinks that the "relay interface" he's got (towing thingy box I mentioned earlier) doesn't need VCDS and he pointed out that its wires are capable of handling 3 or 12 volts through the same wire. He's got experience of using this relay interface box.

His next move is to email you, Neo, with the info you've discussed. (Yes, he has your email - My bad).

So far, so good and I'll keep up my job of coordinating and chasing so it all happens. Lee, we know you're willing and able and waiting in the wings if we need your input, mate.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:42:18 pm by RedRobin »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 05:40:31 pm »
Now seems as good a time as any to start a provisional list of folks interested in modifying the inner units of their Valeo's. This will give us a clue about quantity of PCB's Neo gets produced.

Please copy and add your name if seriously interested at this stage.

1 - RedRobin
2 - cmdrfire
3 -

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 06:11:40 pm »
i would be intrested robin if you could point me in the right direction 2 buy the lights

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 06:16:55 pm »

i would be intrested robin if you could point me in the right direction 2 buy the lights

....daboy3000 is also interested to source the Valeo lights and probably thinks I'm ignoring him. I best do a search and post up the info. Back soon...........

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 06:36:19 pm »
@ Neo and Lee:

Have spoken again to Chris and he thinks that the "relay interface" he's got (towing thingy box I mentioned earlier) doesn't need VCDS and he pointed out that its wires are capable of handling 3 or 12 volts through the same wire. He's got experience of using this relay interface box.

His next move is to email you, Neo, with the info you've discussed. (Yes, he has your email - My bad).

So far, so good and I'll keep up my job of coordinating and chasing so it all happens. Lee, we know you're willing and able and waiting in the wings if we need your input, mate.

I know the controller does not require VCDS itself, but it may be necessary to set it so that both reverse lights work. Not sure, I'll wait 'til I've seen the datasheet and had a good look-over and seen the functionality.
Please bear in mind that it may be a little while before we get these - We've got to look at what sort of data we have to work with, I've got to design and lay out the PCBs, then we will get some one- or two-off prototypes made and assembled (which will probably be fairly expensive, maybe £50/side as a rough guess as there'll be machining work to be done etc). After that they need to be tested off the car, then on the car, and make sure all the functionality works as intended. After that we can got to a batch PCB house in China and get a whole bunch made for everyone, that will be a much more reasonable cost but the downside is that the batch processing will take some time (IIRC used to be 14-30 days, but may be less now).
After they come back, they'll have to be assembled, and tested, and then (being an auto engineer) I think I'd insist on a conformal coat to protect them, btu that shouldn't take too long.

The end goal will be for some inner tail LEDs that will be reasonably priced, built to near-automotive standard, and capable of a variety of functionality - "normal" operation (on with sidelights/dipped lights), brake functionality (if desired), and fog-lamp functionality (if desired) with the two inner filament lamps being used for reversing lights. No point messing about with half-assed fixes and electronics that will break over time.