Make a donation

Author Topic: Stereo permenant live - how not to  (Read 17209 times)

Offline Megy_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Stereo permenant live - how not to
« on: May 01, 2011, 04:14:18 pm »
Hey all, further to my previous post in the stereo section, while I wait to decide on which double din stereo to fit I have been and got all the adapters and fitted my old Pioneer unit which seems to work fine EXCEPT it is constantly powered with no switching available to power it down when the ignition is off.  I got just the basic adapter from Halfords and all seems to work, except, as I said, it wont power off with the ignition.

Does anyone know how to sort this out so that its only on when the ignition is on? Is there a way with what I have, or having done some net searching, would the top option on the PDF http://www.incartec.co.uk/assets/files/CAN%20Power%2012v.pdf work?

Cheers for any help anyone can offer.
07 Plate GTi ED30 DSG - Grey - Standard (but not for long)

Offline Deedub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Stereo permenant live - how not to
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:22:01 pm »
i was hoping to put a pioneer unit it mine so i would also like to know

Had pioneer in all my cars over the years as i love them!

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:38:17 pm »
You'll need to take a switched feed from the fuse box behind the panel at the drivers side of the dash.

I can't remember which 1 I used I'm afraid, but if you have a search there was a link on uk-mkivs.net I used.

I also happen to have a double din wiring, cage, fascia surround etc if you'd be interested DEEDUB?

Offline Deedub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 07:41:07 pm »
possibly yeah, main thing i don't wanna have is the issue of the stereo staying on after the car is turned off etc

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:49 am »
You'll still need to get a switched live.

Offline johnhol78

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:24:47 am »
Ca you take one from the cigarette lighter? Might be easier than the fuse box..

Offline Megy_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 11:33:09 am »
Ca you take one from the cigarette lighter? Might be easier than the fuse box..

Thats what I was going to look into, but have also seen this http://www.incartec.co.uk/assets/files/CAN%20Power%2012v.pdf which from what I can see will work, I think, would I be right?

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »
You can take both a dash light feed and switched power from the cigarette lighter.

Offline PaulGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 05:43:36 pm »
Yeh need one of these mate http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Golf-Mk5-2005-CTSVW002-Steering-Stalk-Adapt-/300481724126?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item45f61b3ede

Because of the CAN BUS system you need a 'special' harness unlike the simple ones from Halfords, this gives you switched live, illumination, speed pulse and reverse wires. Plus you can add a patch lead for stearing wheel controls also.

Hope this helps

Offline Megy_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 07:48:13 pm »
Yeh need one of these mate http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volkswagen-Golf-Mk5-2005-CTSVW002-Steering-Stalk-Adapt-/300481724126?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item45f61b3ede

Because of the CAN BUS system you need a 'special' harness unlike the simple ones from Halfords, this gives you switched live, illumination, speed pulse and reverse wires. Plus you can add a patch lead for stearing wheel controls also.

Hope this helps

You lost me with the speed pulse and reverse, what do these do, my Pioneer is more basic than a lot you can get nowadays, the car doesn't have steering wheel controls so no hassle there, though if I were to get a different decent double din unit, would they work on the unit, or are they just for the OEM parts?

Offline PaulGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:08:23 pm »

Hope this helps

You lost me with the speed pulse and reverse, what do these do, my Pioneer is more basic than a lot you can get nowadays, the car doesn't have steering wheel controls so no hassle there, though if I were to get a different decent double din unit, would they work on the unit, or are they just for the OEM parts?

The speed pulse and reverse wires are what are normally used for Sat Navs. If your only problem is the switched live then you can run a wire from the back of the stereo to a spare slot in the fuse box. Just put a spade connecter on the end of the wire and plug it in and test it by turning your ignition on and off and see what the stereo does or better still use a volt meter if you have one.

Offline Deedub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 05:44:46 pm »
http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/volkswagen-golf-plus-jetta-stereo-fascia-fitting-wiring-p-11489.html

would this kit do the job, don't need sat Nav or anything but say if i wanted the dvd usable would i need the one mentioned by Paul above

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 11:46:43 pm »
Had the same problem with my Alpine Headunit...

Car Audio Security supply a simple plug n play Canbus adpater that takes care of this... costs £50 tho

Or simply run from ur cig lighter...
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline Megy_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 08:16:56 am »
Had the same problem with my Alpine Headunit...

Car Audio Security supply a simple plug n play Canbus adpater that takes care of this... costs £50 tho

Or simply run from ur cig lighter...

Have you got this adapter fitted?  If so, what functionality do you get with it, is the stereo just on/off with the ignition, or does it go off with the ignition and then you are able to switch it back on again.

Do you have a link to the unit?  I would rather not start wiring in other bits, but have a feeling I may have to.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 08:32:38 am »
Can't really help with advice other than say my ED 30 a Pioneer sat nav fitted & i have no problem with power when the key is off so it can be done but the unit was already fitted when i got the car so can't say how it was wired.
ED35. Standard factory condition.