Make a donation

Author Topic: Stereo permenant live - how not to  (Read 17308 times)

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 38
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90017.0.html
Re: Stereo permenant live - how not to
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:47 am »
I had an Alpine Double Din headunit installed through Halfrauds and they used the standard interface connector which meant I had to manually turn the unit off and on regardless of the position of the key.

After much reading I have ordered one of these

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8115.html

That will hopefully sort out all the problems and also enable my Nav unit to function correctly when I install it.
Hope this helps

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 12:47:29 pm »
I had an Alpine Double Din headunit installed through Halfrauds and they used the standard interface connector which meant I had to manually turn the unit off and on regardless of the position of the key.

That will hopefully sort out all the problems and also enable my Nav unit to function correctly when I install it.
Hope this helps
............can you use you'r unit with the engine switched off?.No battery drain with mine as posted before but can only use unit with the engine running?.Do you think this is correct?.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »
My headunit functions with the key out and engine off.  Thats why I need to install the Can Bus adaptor incase my wife forgets to turn it off when she drives it - and I want it to behave the same as the OEM Headunit.

Doesnt sound right that it only works with the engine running. 

Where Napoleons armies marched with horse and musket and Hitlers Reich crumbled in blood and rubble, the warriors of Armageddon do battle against the landscape of hell now indeed thrive the ARMOURERS

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 03:25:19 pm »
My headunit functions with the key out and engine off.  Thats why I need to install the Can Bus adaptor incase my wife forgets to turn it off when she drives it - and I want it to behave the same as the OEM Headunit.

Doesnt sound right that it only works with the engine running. 
...........thanks for that.Might get a local car sparky near me to have a look.Not too bothered just a bit of a pain if you want to change any settings.

Offline Megy_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »

Hope this helps

I wonder if the one you have linked to is a similar ting to this, http://www.incartec.co.uk/assets/files/CAN%20Power%2012v.pdf  which I found while searching.  I am wanting my head unit to work with the ignition, so turning off when I remove the key etc, as I dont think I will want to have it on with the ignition off.  Still pondering wiring into the cig lighter for a switched live, or buying one of the CAN BUS adapters, decisions decisions.
07 Plate GTi ED30 DSG - Grey - Standard (but not for long)

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:37:35 pm »
Had the same problem with my Alpine Headunit...

Car Audio Security supply a simple plug n play Canbus adpater that takes care of this... costs £50 tho

Or simply run from ur cig lighter...

Have you got this adapter fitted?  If so, what functionality do you get with it, is the stereo just on/off with the ignition, or does it go off with the ignition and then you are able to switch it back on again.

Do you have a link to the unit?  I would rather not start wiring in other bits, but have a feeling I may have to.

I Have this adapter fitted.. as i didnt really fancy chopping wires and running wires from other places etc... The stereo only comes on with the ignition! Once the keys are out of the ignition the stereo will not come back on as theres no power going through...

If you contact Car Audio Security just tell them yur after a Canbus adpater for a MK5 Golf they should be able to provide you with more information.. i think it was this one tho

If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:41 pm »
Aaaah... just saw Stufs reply above now...

Yeah thats the same one im using... Once my keys are out the ignition, the Headunit will not power up at all..
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 07:38:45 am »
Aaaah... just saw Stufs reply above now...

Yeah thats the same one im using... Once my keys are out the ignition, the Headunit will not power up at all..
...........same as mine so do you think it's correct?.

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 06:42:13 pm »
Right the saga continues - went back to Halfrauds this evening to have my new lead

installed and finally have my Alpine headunit working properly.

However all that was achieved was much scratching of heads and some choice scratches to the surround and facia of the headunit and on the actual dash!!!  :fighting:.

Im not a happy chappy however the bloke ive been dealing with is going to replace the facia and remove the scratches from my dash before the problem is resolved.

It seems the problem is that there is nowhere to plug the canbus interface into on wiring coming from the car?
Should the lead above be a simple plug and play or does it need hard wiring in??
Anyone offer any pearls of wisdom before I pull all my hair out!

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »
Anyone? :scared:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 08:15:25 pm »
If its the normal canbus interface the original quadlock connector that goes into the back of the original radio should plug into it and that is where the canbus pick-up comes from  :happy2:

Offline StuF

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »
So the original headunit connector needs to be reused inconjunction with the canbus adaptor and then plugged into the back of my Alpine.
I think the Halfrauds installer may have disposed of this?
Will investigate tomorrow - cheers Steve

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »
Plug and play fella...

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 10:19:53 pm »
So the original headunit connector needs to be reused inconjunction with the canbus adaptor and then plugged into the back of my Alpine.
I think the Halfrauds installer may have disposed of this?
Will investigate tomorrow - cheers Steve

Correct, the halfords adaptors and manually wired in and they "learn" the canbus system of the car.
As them to hardwire it in, that's all I ever used to do was hard wire them in, the canbus leads we sold then were sh*t unless you got the gold kit at £120!!! :scared:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline ballcrusher

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Work in progress
    • incar science
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 07:18:16 pm »
If anyone needs the canbus harness ive got one for £15 as I've just upgraded to the steering wheel connect2 interface so to got this one for sale postage free