Make a donation

Author Topic: Had a GIAC remap  (Read 12215 times)

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 6
Had a GIAC remap
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »
Hi thought I'd let you know my recent experience of having my MY08  DSG Ed30 remapped at Star Performance last week....

Overall the service was as good as usual, even giving me a lift into Kirkcaldy, saving me the walk... by Jim's wife... The overall process took about 2 hours and all was well...

The end result was only OK if I'm honest...  I had only owned my Ed30 for a couple of weeks before the remap so had not properly got to grips with the performance... that said whilst I can feel the improved pull it is not the monster I had hoped for and expected with the claimed 310bhp! 

In Sport mode the car seems to stuggle with the change in performance and speed at which the revs rise in each gear... so much so that it almost feels like it;s off boost between 4000 - 5000 rpm, until it picks up again.... 

The best results seem to be when I do not slam my foot down hard but firmly and quickly depress the pedal....

Was wondering what other people had experienced with GIAC or other remaps on an ED30 DSG????
Candy White Edition 30 DSG
Revo Stage 2+
ITG, BCS TBE, Autotech HPFP
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline TimR

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Had a GIAC remap
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:08:16 am »
I dont have an ed30 dsg but I recently got a GIAC remap on my GTI manual 6speed. And I can say that im very pleased, the car is a beast now. Constantly spinning in 2nd which it didnt do before.

The power is constant too, not just at high rpms.

Didnt get it rr tested yet but my butt says it definately got the 245-50 bhp and 360-70 nm torque they promised  :driver:
Volkswagen Golf GTI mk5 2006. GIAC Stage 1.

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:46:51 am »
Is the map the correct version manual/DSG as some tuners use different software

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:26:32 pm »
yeah I would assume it was the right remap as it was performed by Jim in Star Performance who really knows his stuff
Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:56 pm »
did you get a rolling road printout/session when the remap was done?
To be honest an ED30 remap is night and day, so sounds like you may have an issue thats holding the car back.
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:34:16 pm »
Decided I'm not overly keen on this GIAC map as it seems to only give any thing like the linear performance promised when I'm really gentle with the throttle or it's in S and I'm using the paddles.... even considering moving over to REVO.... has anyone else had this
Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 05:50:52 pm »
As suspected... been to PDT today and my ED30 has -7 degrees of ignition timing pull on 3 cylinders.... making it put out only 267bhp and 235ftlb on both the stage 1 GIAC and REVO Trial maps.... WE could not work out why this was happening today so had it flashed with a basic map... ARSE!!
Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 09:23:32 am »
Is the`08 ed30 tsi or fsi? I have giac's K04 high output file on my`07 fsi and get great power and driveability.
Their tsi high output file is supposed to be even stronger. So, your car is completely stock right?
Did you get a baseline dyno before the remap?
If you contact Ilie or Austin at giac, you'll find either one are usually very helpful.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:43:35 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 09:46:11 am »
Hey there - I've had to have my GIAC map removed as it was pulling the ignition timing by >6 degrees, and only recorded 267bhp on the Dyno... I've more details in this thread - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29933.0.html ....

To be honest, I have used Jim on a few previous occasions and he has done a spot on job for me, but for what ever reason this time he has no records of the car before or after the map and he said he only took it on the road after the map and therefore has no dyno details.

Whilst he said he'd re flash the car for free, he has told me he would want the car for more than a day and would suggest an HPFP, new plugs and coils...

If you can offer any help i would be very appreciative and have the Dyno print out and some data logging to share if it helps?
Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 04:28:03 pm »
What was the ECU number of the giac remap that was in there?
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:08:19 pm »
I sent the 2 links to Ilie at giac in California. He said this morning to do this as he wants to look into
this and help you with what it is you are working on, so he may contact you after looking through the threads.
Best of luck...

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 09:42:08 pm »
Oh nice one pal... that's really good of you mate.  I'll see if he does get in touch... cheers
Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »
Hey, no problem. I hope he or someone is able to help. I can only imagine what it's like having a taste of a tune, but then being sent back to stock. I have all the files; valet, stock, pump perf., and race. Sometimes I put it in stock, and I just can't stay there. I end up switching it back within 3 miles from home. I put it in stock only if my wife wants to drive just so she doesn't freak due to the power should she floor it. She really isn't a fan of speed so....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:24:05 pm by ROH ECHT »

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 09:06:39 pm »
Hi roh echt  did you ever hear back from giac when you sent my issues with their map over to them?

Revo Stage 2+
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 08:51:55 am »
Sorry for thread revivial - but I just don't get this / / /

How can GIAC, a US company with NO UK or EU R&D facilities, create a map on a car which is not sold in the US, an with fuel which isn't available in the US, and on FSI where none of them run in lean burn mode in the US ??????  :sad1:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:55:45 am by Teutonic_Tamer »
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~