Make a donation

Author Topic: Dealer fit DRLs  (Read 19684 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Obbzi

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Dealer fit DRLs
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 12:28:59 am »
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline hkp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 10:02:21 am »
So as suspected by vwdubster77, the kit is a new switch... Seems to remove auto and the front fogs, I guess making the fogs come on all he time as with late Skodas?

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:49 pm »
Don't know if this helps
 http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-VW-Dauerfahrlicht-1K0-052-431-BC-/160644454662

The part number with this switch, and from the VW website is for cars without front fogs, so what difference is the switch for cars fitted front fogs.

I've still not got anywhere with VW or any dealers, non of them are any the wiser. One dealer wanted to charge me more than what the VW UK website had posted up :congrats: So hows that work then.

Offline JamboV6

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 03:04:22 pm »
My car was at the dealers yesterday so iasked about these. They first said that it was a new switch that activated the side lights front and rear on ignition, then changed their mind and said it only brings on the dipped lights, ie the xenons and that they wanted £100 for it. No thank you, i can do that with vcds for free. Might take another look on etka wiring and look at maybe rewiring the sidelights on to the ignition in the back of the switch
09 3dr Diamond black DSG~ Vienna leather~winter pack~Black headliner~Cruise~Arm rest~RNS-510~Flapper mod~LED Side lights,Number Plate, interiors, Fog & Reverse~6000K HID Upgrade~Valeo OEM LED Rears~Lowtec spring~R-pad retainers~Auto boot pop~Audi Shark Fin~Alu mirrors~Centre cap mod with .:R caps.

Offline dalco

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2011, 11:47:14 am »
Just an input update on this,

Today I had a 2010 Leon in, It had no Auto Light or wiper but other than that it was quite spec'd up. It had front fogs and it was already enabled the Cornering function which and each side Fog turned on whilst indicating.

I plugged in VCDS and there was an option indeed to turn on DRL !!!

First off it simply used the dipped beam but at only 92%, whilst the engine was running and the light switch set to off.

Then I turned that of and set it to Fog lights as DRL, This brought on the side lights at the same time and again default to 92%

I remember being pulled over 12 years ago in my first car as I was driving with the Fogs on, Thinking I was the coolest cat in town and got a £30 fine SO...
I thought that 92% on Fogs at all times might not be a good idea, So I changed the setting to 50% and they indeed looked very smart whilst still keeping on the right side of the Plod!!

The original functions still work i.e. cornering and indicator fog activation so we have gained!!

Takes about 10 mins all told so explains why VW want over £60 for it !!!! Cheeky Monkey's!

As for cars with Auto lights, I've not yet tried it.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2011, 12:23:39 pm »
Delco,
My mk6 GTI had DRL set as dipped beam (front+rear+number plate+xenons) on from the factory. I turned them off.

How to turn off the DRL when you have front xenons+rear lights+number plate lights as DRL's  

You need vagcom or VCDS or similar

Central electric---coding--->  long code helper
Byte 11 (Prob shown as hex 88) select it

A box below will come up
A tick box next to 'Daytime running lights via low beam' will be ticked. Untick it. click back, click 'do it'.

Your DRL (front xenons+rear lights+number plate lights) will now go out. :jumpmove:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:25:19 pm by Snoopy »

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 09:23:22 pm »
This is the response I got from VW after 4weeks!! Bearing in mind that I have xenons.

Thank you for your recent contact in relation to the availability of daytime running lights for your Golf. Please accept my
apologies for the delay in my response.

The part number you require for the daytime running lights kit for your vehicle is part number 1K0 052 431 BN and will be
available from the end of October. This kit will illuminate the dipped beam on the vehicle. You will receive an extra setting on
your light switch to activate the daytime running lights.

I followed this up with further questions, as they didn't answer all of my questions!! The response now is:

Thank you for your recent contact in relation to daytime running lights for your mark 5 Golf. Please accept my apologies for the
delay in my response.

Information on this product is very limited at present as Volkswagen UK will be recieving the daytime running lights at the end
of October for testing on the UK specification of the Golf. Once the testing has been completed and approved more information on
the units will be released. Only at this stage would the product available for the customer to purchase, this could take over
eight weeks.

I would recommend you keep in contact with your local Volkswagen retailer on the progress of the testing and release of the
product.

Do I cry, bang my head against a wall or just  :signLOL: I wonder if the Germans are any the more wiser. Why advertise somthing thats not available yet, advise to speak to dealers who know nothing about nothing.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »
I think the german option is what i posted above. LED ones.

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »
Just to update this.

Bearing in mind I have the OEM Xenons fitted.

I contact VW Customer services, as I'm still interested in this. Was advised of the following initially it would be like the MK6 Golf DRL's  :jumping: only to be called back later with:

New light switch, still not to clear on what functions this has, but guessing the settings are:

OFF/ DRL/ Side Lights/ Dipped Lights(Xenons) + Front Fogs/Rear Fogs(As in the Audi's). VW appear to lose the setting for AUTO LIGHTS on the switch.

Software update (NOT a VCDS tweak) to the ECU(Power control ECU)?? Dealer would need to hook the car up to VAS and update the ECU from Germany.

With the switch in the DRL position ONLY the Xenons come on, no other lights.

Was advised although didn't seem to sure, the AUTO lights feature still works from this setting, so when required the lights auto switch on.

Disclamer was speak to the dealer  :stupid: If customer services don't know exacty after speaking to thier "In House tech" what chances have the dealers got!

Got hold of the instructions off the web:

Installation instructions:

Continuous running light original retrofit kit

Set contents:
◆ 1 x Light switch
◆ 1 x Software certificate
◆ 1 x Installation instructions

Special tools, test and measuring equipment, and ancillaries required:

◆ Vehicle diagnostics, measurement and information system -VAS 5051A- with software version V15.94.00. or
higher
Procedure:
Note
◆ A competent workshop should install the continuous running light kit. Special tools and the accompanying
literature specific to the vehicle are required for fitting it. Incorrect fitting may lead to damage to the vehicle.
◆ To update the vehicle software, an online SVMVW connection and the appropriate password are needed.
◆ All rights to make technical changes reserved.

1.1 Replacing the light switch
− Remove the existing light switch and replace with the supplied light switch.
 Electrical system; repair group 96; lights, lamps, switches - internal; lights and switches in the dashboard;
removing and fitting light switch E1

1.2 Updating the vehicle software
− Connect a vehicle diagnostics, measurement and information system -VAS 5051A- to the vehicle.
 Electrical system, repair group 97; Wiring, vehicle diagnostics, measurement and information systems;

Connecting a vehicle diagnostics, measurement and information system -VAS 5051A-.
− Select the operating mode “Guided trouble shooting” within the vehicle diagnostics, measurement and
information system -VAS 5051A-.
− After querying the control units, select the “Functions / component selection“ via the button “Jump” and then
sequentially the following menu options:
◆ Software version management
◆ Conversion/retrofitting campaign
− Enter the 5 character action code “302F1“.

The online connection is created after code entry and the software update carried out.
− After successful software updating, disconnect the connection to the vehicle diagnostics, measurement and
information system -VAS 5051A- and carry out operational testing of the continuous running light.
The attached certificate is to be filled in with the chassis number and fitting date by the workshop, signed and
stamped and then given to the customer when the vehicle is returned. The certificate acts as proof of purchase of
the product Continuous running light, while the workshop signature certifies to the customer that fitting has been
correctly carried out by Volkswagen.

1K0 052 431
3C8 052 431

Offline parks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
  • Red ED30 No. 1778 Detailing World member
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 07:31:12 am »
So Vw's idea of DRLs is it turn off the sidelights when the xenons are on.

Mmmm :confused:
Standard: Rear parking sensors, Parrot Bluetooth
Retro fitted: MFSW buttons, RCD510, Boot pop, Black Monza II, Xenons, Audi jacking points, open fog light grills.

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 08:58:13 pm »
I hate to think anyone's spent time and effort investigating this  :sad1:   :confused:

...But, the Xenons only as daytime running light are a very simple VCDS setting and I tried it for a summers evening mid last year. It was okay but I didn't like the idea of firing the Xenons on and off constantly at traffic lights or where the handbrake may be used around town, perhaps encouraging ballast or bulb failure.

The Xenons appeared to run without the front and rear sidelights or tailights and were illuminated when the car was in-gear and the handbrake was inactive (when you stop at traffic lights and lift the hand brake, they would switch off, then switch back on when gear is engaged and the handbrake is de-applied & lowered).

It's part of the North American DRL if I remember correctly.

I think the hard line is if you want some OEM or OEM+ DRLs for a MK5 GTI, Scandavian running lights, North American running lights or fogs as DRLs are the only options.
Anything else would have to be an aftermarket or electrically modified OEM+ effort, such as the Audi S6 DRLs that you see on some MK5 .:R32's.

There's a couple of threads covering all the options in more depth  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 06:47:36 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »
Interesting.

Agree with the issue of the xenons coming on/off every time the handbrake is used/not, reducing xenon lamp life.

I am aware of the settings through VCDS, it was my understanding that:

North American DRL was just the front indicators, which were illuminated. The indicator brighness which you could adjust through VCDS. Which is what a lot of people have tried/use. I wasn't aware that the the Xenons would come on? you're the first that has commented on this.

Scandinavian DRL was all lights are on, front and back.

Front fogs as DRL, brightness which can be adjusted through VCDS.

I was hoping that the dealer option was to give a MK6 Golf DRL appearance.

Also from the dealer instructions it appears to be a software update NOT a VCDS code change, which those of us with VCDS are able to do.

Perhaps, what the dealer DRL is the Xenons only, but keeps them ON, instead of ON/OFF depending on the handbrake as you've mentioned.

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 07:41:53 pm »
Interesting.
Agree with the issue of the xenons coming on/off every time the handbrake is used/not, reducing xenon lamp life.

:happy2:

I am aware of the settings through VCDS, it was my understanding that:

North American DRL was just the front indicators, which were illuminated. The indicator brighness which you could adjust through VCDS. Which is what a lot of people have tried/use. I wasn't aware that the the Xenons would come on? you're the first that has commented on this.

Not quite, as far as I know. I'm no VCDS guru but I have certainly enabled the front side turning signals with the sidelights without ticking the North American DRL option. This is controlled under byte 17 if I remember correctly (off hand...) where you set a percentage value under the side turn signals between 0-100.

Scandinavian DRL was all lights are on, front and back.

Front fogs as DRL, brightness which can be adjusted through VCDS.

Yup and Yup  :happy2:
* except with my 20 byte controller I had to tick the North American DRL option for the fogs with DRL's to work. They simply wouldn't illuminate without it...

I was hoping that the dealer option was to give a MK6 Golf DRL appearance.

Also from the dealer instructions it appears to be a software update NOT a VCDS code change, which those of us with VCDS are able to do.

Perhaps, what the dealer DRL is the Xenons only, but keeps them ON, instead of ON/OFF depending on the handbrake as you've mentioned.

Don't know much about the dealer option, aside some of the bits you posted fella.
In honesty the MK5 DRL options are pretty limited if you think about the light-set that comes with the car from factory, so I suspected the option VW offered was always going to be something VCDS could do, or, do the majority of.

Where they state a 'software update', unless they were actually updating the CCM firmware or byte controller with supporting ECU components, I'm still not sure it would be something that VCDS couldn't do?  :popcornsoda:

The MK6 'look' has been achieved by a geezer in the US on his MK4 .:R32 believe it or not, but, the significant difference was that he bought a BMW headlight controller (of some sort) and connected it to his high beam bulbs, then ran them at around 50% brightness giving that effect. Links below.

++ http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/331929.aspx
 ++ http://www.users.on.net/~graeme86/

I don't know much about the MK6 bulb setup - is the DRL bulb the same as the high beam bulb (which I believe is some sort of H15 bulb)?
If it is, then I suppose you might achieve a similar thing with the MK5 with loads of trickery like this guy has done. You'd probably have to get hold of him as it's bespoke to say the least. I've never seen it on a MK5  :chicken: Looks involved and I've no idea on legality in the UK either, but there's some inspiration  :happy2:

It looked way too involved for me  :grin:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door