Make a donation

Author Topic: Dealer fit DRLs  (Read 19582 times)

Offline vwdubster77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Dealer fit DRLs
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 08:59:18 pm »
Where they state a 'software update', unless they were actually updating the CCM firmware or byte controller with supporting ECU components, I'm still not sure it would be something that VCDS couldn't do?

I believe it is a firmware update for the CCM, as the dealer has to hook the car upto the VAS then update from Germany, simple coding changes the dealer wouldn't have to connect through to Germany do this.

The MK6 'look' has been achieved by a geezer in the US on his MK4 .:R32 believe it or not, but, the significant difference was that he bought a BMW headlight controller (of some sort) and connected it to his high beam bulbs, then ran them at around 50% brightness giving that effect.

I too have been thinking about doing the DRL using a type of load reduction relay, but struggling to find suitable wiring diagrams for the relay.(Not BMW). Also theres the issue of the lamp monitoring, if that would keep throwing up a bulb out message.

I don't know much about the MK6 bulb setup - is the DRL bulb the same as the high beam bulb (which I believe is some sort of H15 bulb)?

The H15 bulb in the Golf MK6 is a dual filament 15W/55W. So the DRL uses the 15W and the High beam uses the 55W.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H15-Replacement-Halogen-Bulb.html

Offline vwrascal

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
Re: Dealer fit DRLs
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2012, 09:15:34 pm »

...But, the Xenons only as daytime running light are a very simple VCDS setting and I tried it for a summers evening mid last year. It was okay but I didn't like the idea of firing the Xenons on and off constantly at traffic lights or where the handbrake may be used around town, perhaps encouraging ballast or bulb failure.

I wouldnt be too worried about ballast or bulb failure, what about those of us who have run the shutter trigger wire to the cecm and disabled halogen hi beams. I flash every mother hubbard when xenons are off so am effectively 'firing up' xenons all the time without problem! Also look at new audis, mercs, bmws etc. when they flash you, full xenon flash.  :smiley: