Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527368 times)

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10035 on: January 16, 2017, 02:53:47 pm »
Thanks mate, it was a little bit awkward to fit but nothing major, they're a nice gauge as you can select which colour you want during install by powering up the corresponding wire. The pod i got from a different eBay seller and it fits like a glove, no screws or adhesive needed.

I went blue to match the dials but I find it a bit bright at night so I might change it to red and see what that's like.

The actual boost reading unit is under the bonnet and all you have to do is run the wire which carries the boost information back to the gauge, no need to run the vacuum tube back through the bulkhead/dash. The gauge itself I tapped into the headlight switch for power and under the dash for earth. Relatively straight forward. The only thing that was a bit off was the T-piece was too small to fit into the VW pipe coming off the inlet manifold but a quick trip to Halfrauds sorted that out.

Gauge :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222299928438?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pod :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222226051921?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

:happy2:

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10036 on: January 16, 2017, 03:50:49 pm »
I've given up with mine, it has a mind of it's own  :rolleye:

Car looks great by the way, keep up the good work  :happy2:

Can you undo it?

Yeah, it's a setting within the Polar to operate the mirrors. I've got it disabled now. The rest of the Polar works great

I've seen polars on a few members cars and they look like a nice piece of kit. Might consider one someday.........after I get my clocks upgraded.

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #10037 on: January 16, 2017, 04:34:16 pm »
Thanks mate, it was a little bit awkward to fit but nothing major, they're a nice gauge as you can select which colour you want during install by powering up the corresponding wire. The pod i got from a different eBay seller and it fits like a glove, no screws or adhesive needed.

I went blue to match the dials but I find it a bit bright at night so I might change it to red and see what that's like.

The actual boost reading unit is under the bonnet and all you have to do is run the wire which carries the boost information back to the gauge, no need to run the vacuum tube back through the bulkhead/dash. The gauge itself I tapped into the headlight switch for power and under the dash for earth. Relatively straight forward. The only thing that was a bit off was the T-piece was too small to fit into the VW pipe coming off the inlet manifold but a quick trip to Halfrauds sorted that out.

Gauge :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222299928438?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Pod :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222226051921?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

nice one thanks for letting me know about the t piece and luckily I have a spare brass one although I don't think I'll need it due to having a pcv adapter and a spare connectors jhook sent me so all that will need is the wiring to be done.  :happy2:
Also I want the blue but if you're saying it's too bright you can connect the dimmer wire to the headlights to dim it I think. Read the description in eBay as I'm sure it's possible  :wink:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #10038 on: January 16, 2017, 06:38:57 pm »
Got the mk7 PP/Clubsport brakes fitted. I'll update the thread I started... about 6 months ago!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10039 on: January 17, 2017, 01:20:23 pm »
Got the mk7 PP/Clubsport brakes fitted. I'll update the thread I started... about 6 months ago!
Finally AJP! :pomppomp:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10040 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:43 pm »
Finally AJP! omppomp:
I know... Long-term project indeed!

I'll hopefully get a couple of pics during the week and write up my thoughts once I've had a chance to drive the car a bit. It was cold, wet and busy on the roads on the way back from getting them fitted so I couldn't really test them. First impressions are good though, the pedal feels similar to the stock 312s. And of course, they look lovely behind the VZs!

Paulgo2004

« Reply #10041 on: January 18, 2017, 10:38:27 am »
Hi all. Well I'm just back from TPS where I bought a new MAF sensor, OEM discs and pads and new driverside door mechanism.going to be a busy day.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #10042 on: January 18, 2017, 02:17:48 pm »
Hi all. Well I'm just back from TPS where I bought a new MAF sensor, OEM discs and pads and new driverside door mechanism.going to be a busy day.

Getting that doorskin off in the cold weather is a pain! Get ready for a lot of cursing and some sore fingers!

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10043 on: January 18, 2017, 02:41:24 pm »

Gauge :

Pod :

nice one thanks for letting me know about the t piece and luckily I have a spare brass one although I don't think I'll need it due to having a pcv adapter and a spare connectors jhook sent me so all that will need is the wiring to be done.  :happy2:
Also I want the blue but if you're saying it's too bright you can connect the dimmer wire to the headlights to dim it I think. Read the description in eBay as I'm sure it's possible  :wink:

I'm sure I read that too, I was thinking about that but I'm happy with the dash at full so if i was to connect to the dimmer, I'd end up dimming my dash to a point where I wouldn't like it but would be happy with the gauge! Can't win, so maybe a layer of tinting film might be the answer as I quite like the blue!

Have you ordered one?

MPS

« Reply #10044 on: January 20, 2017, 04:07:43 pm »
Renewed engine and gearbox upper mounts on the driveway with brand new genuine items (along with full replacement of all bolts as they are single use torque/stretch items) at 94k as over winter they had started to creak when cold and I had excessive engine movement on starting.

After fitting, the engine now sits higher/level in the bay and no longer moves on starting/revving.  On the move, pick up is so much cleaner and instant, and shifts from the DSG box are now felt much less.  Very happy!

Gotta bite the bullet and do this. I've recently clicked past 100k and the wavering feeling is gut wrenching. Do you have part numbers?  :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #10045 on: January 20, 2017, 06:28:23 pm »

Gauge :

Pod :

I'm sure I read that too, I was thinking about that but I'm happy with the dash at full so if i was to connect to the dimmer, I'd end up dimming my dash to a point where I wouldn't like it but would be happy with the gauge! Can't win, so maybe a layer of tinting film might be the answer as I quite like the blue!

Have you ordered one?
tint will do the job for sure  :happy2:
What I meant was when you switch the headlights on it auto dims the gauge by taking the power down but not sure if that works the same way.

I was going to buy one but someone says he has one for me although not sure ima take that as I prefer the digital swoop and numbers personally so will most likely get one of these soon.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #10046 on: January 20, 2017, 06:33:16 pm »
How much were the discs and pads if you don't mind me asking?

Offline bad devotions

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #10047 on: January 20, 2017, 07:53:30 pm »
Busy, busy weekend working on a few things which  have been bugging me.

I recently bought this car back from my sister who's had it for the last 4 years, let's just say, she'd service it but that's as far as "minding" a car goes with her!

I bought it standard about 5 years back and had it for a year, during which I made several changes.

Hella projectors, Anniversary rears, R32 rear bumper and back box, colour coded side skirts, Anniversary front splitter, Cupra lower splitter, R-line foglight covers (colour coded between the blades), custom fitted mudflaps and 18" BBS LM replicas. Before and after pictures below for comparison.  :happy2:

So this weekends work consisted of some much overdue maintenance and some tweaks;

Service : Oil, Air, Cabin and fuel filters. Plugs. Rear OE shocks and springs, Main thermostat (nightmare) Cam follower - I  have the banjo bolt so a bit of extra headache but all was good so happy days..

Vag-Com & retrofit : Boot pop kit, beep for lock/unlock, install/activate cruise, skyline rear lights, window closure on remote, boost gauge in the air vent.

Does anyone know if auto dip mirror for reverse is possible without memory seats, saw it in the options, ticked it but no go? (DSG car if it makes any difference).

looking lovely that is. You got a build thread?

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10048 on: January 20, 2017, 07:59:28 pm »
about time too  :signLOL:
Only problem now is I've still got a box sat on the kitchen floor... this time containing standard brakes! I'll get em advertised when I can be arsed

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #10049 on: January 20, 2017, 08:11:30 pm »
Fitted new led side lights today at work. OMG my poor hands
Edition 30 num 859