Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527656 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10050 on: January 21, 2017, 01:35:43 am »
Got the mk7 PP/Clubsport brakes fitted. I'll update the thread I started... about 6 months ago!
about time too  :signLOL:
Only problem now is I've still got a box sat on the kitchen floor... this time containing standard brakes! I'll get em advertised when I can be arsed
:signLOL: give you a year then  :wink:

I've got mine still to paint up so I can't really talk much :signLOL:

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #10051 on: January 21, 2017, 02:28:32 pm »
Cam follower done today.
Doesn't look too bad - at 132,000 miles with no idea if it's ever been done before!

Was thankful to have the second rubber pipe rather than the star bit banjo to the fuel pump. Absolutely no discernible wear on the cam either.

Also changed all the interior bulbs for LEDs
New air filter
Tried to fit my rear view camera but managed to snag the wire inside the bodywork and ripped it out - will have to buy another to do it now.
Also traced the rattle from the back of the car, turns out the drivers rear spring has broken a piece off right at the bottom end and was jumping around in the arm when I go over bumps. Seems a good excuse to lower it :)

MPS

« Reply #10052 on: January 21, 2017, 05:40:29 pm »
I've moosed and ordered the wrong Bosch wiper blades A980S [Nov 2005 onwards] instead of A937S [upto Oct 2005]

Oops!  :doh: Maybe worth adding as a sticky to the maintenance section so other people don't make the same mistake!

2704stacy

« Reply #10053 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:20 pm »

MPS

« Reply #10054 on: January 22, 2017, 06:24:05 pm »
^ Cool  :happy2:

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10055 on: January 22, 2017, 07:35:00 pm »
Renewed engine and gearbox upper mounts on the driveway with brand new genuine items (along with full replacement of all bolts as they are single use torque/stretch items) at 94k as over winter they had started to creak when cold and I had excessive engine movement on starting.

After fitting, the engine now sits higher/level in the bay and no longer moves on starting/revving.  On the move, pick up is so much cleaner and instant, and shifts from the DSG box are now felt much less.  Very happy!

Gotta bite the bullet and do this. I've recently clicked past 100k and the wavering feeling is gut wrenching. Do you have part numbers?  :happy2:

Hi there

No problem, the part numbers for my DSG GTI are 1K0 199 262 M (engine mount) and 1K0 199 555 R (gearbox mount).

Hope this helps.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline farhan.ali

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #10056 on: January 22, 2017, 10:50:49 pm »
Today -
Retrofit cruise control. A little bit of messing about with the coding and clearing the faults, but all looks to be working great! For the £10 it cost me for a stalk (although spent another £30 on spline bits - but they will be reused throughout the car) , I am mighty impressed. Also managed to clear a load of fag ash from inside the steering wheel plastics which was a bonus.
a tenna??//
didnt you need to wire some other stuff ?
i would have done this ages ago if it as easy as you make it sound! what tutorials did you follow

Offline spwd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
  • Hello I'm Steve.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110133.msg1073872.html#new
« Reply #10057 on: January 22, 2017, 11:09:52 pm »

Offline spwd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
  • Hello I'm Steve.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110133.msg1073872.html#new
« Reply #10058 on: January 22, 2017, 11:17:14 pm »
Managed to get this done and fitted, need to re-do the top vent part again.

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10059 on: January 23, 2017, 01:00:16 pm »
Busy, busy weekend working on a few things which  have been bugging me.

I recently bought this car back from my sister who's had it for the last 4 years, let's just say, she'd service it but that's as far as "minding" a car goes with her!

I bought it standard about 5 years back and had it for a year, during which I made several changes.

Hella projectors, Anniversary rears, R32 rear bumper and back box, colour coded side skirts, Anniversary front splitter, Cupra lower splitter, R-line foglight covers (colour coded between the blades), custom fitted mudflaps and 18" BBS LM replicas. Before and after pictures below for comparison.  :happy2:

So this weekends work consisted of some much overdue maintenance and some tweaks;

Service : Oil, Air, Cabin and fuel filters. Plugs. Rear OE shocks and springs, Main thermostat (nightmare) Cam follower - I  have the banjo bolt so a bit of extra headache but all was good so happy days..

Vag-Com & retrofit : Boot pop kit, beep for lock/unlock, install/activate cruise, skyline rear lights, window closure on remote, boost gauge in the air vent.

Does anyone know if auto dip mirror for reverse is possible without memory seats, saw it in the options, ticked it but no go? (DSG car if it makes any difference).

looking lovely that is. You got a build thread?

Sorry mate, I don't, I made the vast majority of the changes about 5 years ago when i owned it first time around! Anything you need to know just ask though and thanks for the kind words.  :happy2:

Busy again this weekend;

Timing belt kit, water pump and DSG fluid change along with activating my indicators as parking lights.

Have been in touch with a local engineering firm about drilling hubs to accept my MK4 Anniversary rims. They seem receptive to the idea so I'm dropping round 1 new hub today to see what they think of it and hopefully go from there.

See this thread for details,

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110720.0.html

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #10060 on: January 26, 2017, 09:42:07 am »
Tried to find the GTI under all the dirt!  Don't remember a year as bad as this for putting so much s...t on the car.  As a person that likes the car to be very clean (diamond black), I am finding this year very difficult!

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #10061 on: January 26, 2017, 10:27:28 am »
Tried to find the GTI under all the dirt!  Don't remember a year as bad as this for putting so much s...t on the car.  As a person that likes the car to be very clean (diamond black), I am finding this year very difficult!

Have you tried prevention rather than treatment?

As in, do you properly wax every so often?

You could consider going down the route of ceramic or nanotech coatings also.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #10062 on: January 26, 2017, 02:10:22 pm »

Try this after a clean...
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-cleaning-accessories/exterior-cleaning/car-detailer/?549992160&0&cc5_761

So easy to apply, just wipe off with a cloth and lasts for months and months. Water beads off nicely too.

Next time you wash the car the dirt comes off really easy.

Thank me later.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #10063 on: January 26, 2017, 04:09:06 pm »
Thanks guys.  Helpful comments both. Yes I do wax, generally using Dodo juice purple haze.  We live in the country on a narrow lane.  My regular drive includes narrow country lanes, main  A country roads, part motorway and part town driving.  I think the farmers round us are determined to transfer  all the mud from their fields onto our lane!

I think it is the state of the roads generally  giving me the problem this year rather than the car itself.   The grit put down by our local authority seems particularly "sticky".  Combining that with the  dirty roads and spray from lorries seems to has caused the dirty to stick to the car more than normal.  Its just that I cant even get to the bottom of our lane even after the car has been cleaned without it  being covered in dirt, that is such a pain!!

Offline Gary

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #10064 on: January 27, 2017, 10:10:43 pm »
Just attempted a gear linkage alignment, car is much smoother to drive. Amazing that something so simple and quick can improve the driving experience of the car.

Considering a Superpro Anti-Lift kit next.