Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2526787 times)

Offline Jdizzle

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10500 on: June 10, 2017, 08:09:18 pm »
I had a busy day because I...

1) replaced the faulty driver's door lock (bit scary taking the skin off)
2) fitted a connect 2 Bluetooth kit to the standard stereo so I can now stream music and make / receive calls
3) fitted new Osram nightbreaker laser head lamp bulbs

And most importantly!

4) fitted a new rear wiper blade... any tips on how to adjust it so it "parks"
In the right place greatly received!

Not bad for my first week of ownership I think!!!

willni

« Reply #10501 on: June 11, 2017, 08:30:30 am »

* Yesterday technically. Polished out by Tom at Extreme Gleam in Droitwich for any locals. Night and day!

That looks excellent. How much did you pay for the machine polish. I've got a machine myself but VW paint is so hard it takes so much time, I'm tempted to pay for mine to be done. Its really badly swirrled.

Hello, what polish and pad are you using when polishing as it may not be strong enough to take out the deep swirls? Also on the backing plate mark with a sharpie 4 stripes at North, South, East and West and make sure that you can always see them spinning when you're polishing otherwise you're just "dryhumping"  :phew:  the area and not actually polishing it.

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #10502 on: June 11, 2017, 08:41:51 am »
otherwise you're just "dryhumping"  :phew:  the area and not actually polishing it.

:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

Best line ever, Explains it perfectly too. I usually just put one line on my backing plate to be honest but whatever works so that you can see it is definitely spinning and not just dryhumping the paint.  :grin:

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10503 on: June 11, 2017, 09:20:19 am »

* Yesterday technically. Polished out by Tom at Extreme Gleam in Droitwich for any locals. Night and day!

That looks excellent. How much did you pay for the machine polish. I've got a machine myself but VW paint is so hard it takes so much time, I'm tempted to pay for mine to be done. Its really badly swirrled.

Hello, what polish and pad are you using when polishing as it may not be strong enough to take out the deep swirls? Also on the backing plate mark with a sharpie 4 stripes at North, South, East and West and make sure that you can always see them spinning when you're polishing otherwise you're just "dryhumping"  :phew:  the area and not actually polishing it.

Hi. I've tried with a HexLogic Orange pad and Meguires Ultimate compound. Might have another go this afternoon just on a smaller area and see if I can get any cut.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

MPS

« Reply #10504 on: June 11, 2017, 10:49:08 am »
You do realise it needs a fair amount of grease to work properly and stop it from seizing don't you?

A few little jobs today. I fitted Osram Nightbreaker High and dipped beam bulbs, and Osram Cool blue side light bulbs.

refitted the stupid air intake housing which had fallen off, into the cooling fan.

Cleaned under the bonnet, gave the release catch a really good clean as it was caked in years worth of hardened grease. removed and refitted the sound deadening carpet and got cleaned that up a bit. I'll do a full engine bay clean soon hopefully

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10505 on: June 11, 2017, 01:14:27 pm »
Yeh its got a good squirt of lithium grease on the moving parts, I just wiped it off the bits that don't need it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep a close eye on it encase it need extra lube.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 01:20:41 pm by neilw »

willni

« Reply #10506 on: June 11, 2017, 01:24:55 pm »

Hi. I've tried with a HexLogic Orange pad and Meguires Ultimate compound. Might have another go this afternoon just on a smaller area and see if I can get any cut.

I think the problem is your combo to be honest, try Meguiars cutting microfibre disc and Ultra-cut compound (105).

I'm doing polishing at the minute and using a scholl white sandwich spider pad and koch chemie Heavy Cut H8.02, it's cutting very effectively, with 4 passes 2 North-South 2 West-East. (I'll put up pictures when I'm done, it's very heavily swirled)

Offline barelyrelevant

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10507 on: June 11, 2017, 08:07:07 pm »

Gave the headlights a much needed restoration today. Unfortunately no before pic but they were quite bad and i'm chuffed to bits with the outcome considering i've never done anything like this before. On really close inspection I could do with going over a couple of bits as you can still see some of the swirls from the 1500 grit, but overall a huge improvement.

willni

« Reply #10508 on: June 11, 2017, 10:25:31 pm »

Finished the compounding stage on the R32, still a good way to go though  :smiley:

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #10509 on: June 12, 2017, 06:24:13 am »
@willni I wish my garage looked like this... I don't have a garage :(
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10510 on: June 12, 2017, 11:10:44 am »

I think the problem is your combo to be honest, try Meguiars cutting microfibre disc and Ultra-cut compound (105).

I'm doing polishing at the minute and using a scholl white sandwich spider pad and koch chemie Heavy Cut H8.02, it's cutting very effectively, with 4 passes 2 North-South 2 West-East. (I'll put up pictures when I'm done, it's very heavily swirled)

Thanks, I'll give that a go, I must have spent an hour working the bonnet without much effect. Your photo looks good.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #10511 on: June 12, 2017, 07:55:02 pm »
Converted my Mk5 key fob to a Mk7. A bit bigger and heavier, but just looks nicer.

2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Morgen

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 10
  • 2008 DSG Edition 30
« Reply #10512 on: June 13, 2017, 03:45:45 pm »
Converted my Mk5 key fob to a Mk7. A bit bigger and heavier, but just looks nicer.

Does this cost a lot? It's a small upgrade but something I'd love to do! Mk5 key just looks so out-dated now.

Offline ghuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10513 on: June 13, 2017, 07:26:36 pm »
Well today I fitted a Mk 6 boot release handle & badge to my Mk5 Golf GTI. Its actually something I've been meaning to get round to for ages as the original part was covered with the dreaded white worm.

Anyway after approx 1 hour faffing around trying to get the old one off (the top screw holding the actual unit in place is positioned right behind the rear windscreen wiper motor) and then working out how the plastic trim goes back on correctly I must say the finished result looks fab  :happy2:

Was certainly a much cheaper option then picking up a replacement part from VW.....................
2005 Golf GTI Mk5

Offline Mickymurf

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10514 on: June 13, 2017, 07:48:35 pm »
Collected mine from the garage, had a turbo rebuild and a small service and it cost me £880! Ouch!! Wasn't expecting that high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk