Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527025 times)

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10920 on: December 15, 2017, 11:13:50 am »
Bunch of wank stains
Charge nearly a ton for something that falls apart and potentially ruin the turbo
Yep spread matey! Defo checking mine soon!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10921 on: December 15, 2017, 11:31:53 am »
Bunch of wank stains
Charge nearly a ton for something that falls apart and potentially ruin the turbo
Yep spread matey! Defo checking mine soon!

I've gone to GFB Australia, after getting into email arguments with GFB Europe.  He didn't like my tone apparently  :grin:  But there was no appreciation given to the fact I have reported it, or any concern that other people in the GTI community might suffer the same problem in time.  Anyway, I'll see what the Ozzies say.  I expect they will be a tad more concerned by some reseller in Europe!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #10922 on: December 15, 2017, 04:54:08 pm »
"Defo not fit and forget.  The vulcanized bond to the piston is a bit weak.  It may not affect everybody but as mine is a daily, problems surface sooner for me."

I appreciate we shouldn't be having to fettle this , rather it should be down to GFB but, if they're not willing to rectify the fault @Pudding has identified, then would a dab of appropriate glue (not sure if super glue/araldite or something else designed to mate the two together) be a fix for this rather than it going through the engine. Suppose it's that or back to the OEM DV.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10923 on: December 15, 2017, 05:48:43 pm »
"Defo not fit and forget.  The vulcanized bond to the piston is a bit weak.  It may not affect everybody but as mine is a daily, problems surface sooner for me."

I appreciate we shouldn't be having to fettle this , rather it should be down to GFB but, if they're not willing to rectify the fault @Pudding has identified, then would a dab of appropriate glue (not sure if super glue/araldite or something else designed to mate the two together) be a fix for this rather than it going through the engine. Suppose it's that or back to the OEM DV.

I tried 3 different glues.  Super glue, Evostik contact adhesive and Gorilla 'fix anything' type glue.  None of them worked.  Super Glue just won't stick to Silicon - at all!
The contact adhesive worked, but I could peel it off again relatively easily.  That won't hold up to 25psi of boost blasting past it.  Ditto the Gorilla glue.

One thing I didn't try was silicon itself as a glue.  That might work, but to get an effective bond I would have to peel the pad off completely, rough up the piston surface and hope to realign the pad squarely again.

I love the design of the DV+.  It's clever and effective.  The piston just needs more work to last a bit longer.  I think GFB Australia will be quite interested in this.  Haven't heard back from them yet.

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #10924 on: December 15, 2017, 08:46:14 pm »
Try some mitre mate or evo stick type stuff glue with the spray as the reactor. Very strong stuff.
Even tho you shouldn’t have to.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10925 on: December 16, 2017, 03:40:17 pm »
OK, let's see how 'serious' this glue is  :smiley:   It says 'all conditions' (which I hope includes oily environments) and a big temperature range, so suitable for engines.

The remainder of the bond peeled off dead easy, so I don't think the factory glue was that strong to begin with, but I stripped it all down, sanded the piston to give the glue a key and left it in the airing cupboard for a few hours.  Felt like a good bond when I picked at the edges, but we shall see!

In other news, I fitted a rubber bobbin to the Revo intake pipe mounting, which is better than their method of a plastic spacer and leaving the bolt loose.

And I threw on the newest revision of black expansion cap and washer cap, which I picked up from AKS Tuning the other day.  Looks neat I think  :smiley:

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #10926 on: December 16, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »
Power fold mirrors with modules and puddle lights installed today need to order some leds for puddle lights me thinks...OEM not bright enough

Nice one - it's a simple thing and yes they don't go flush with the car but they do make the car feel more up to date.

LED puddle lights definitely the way to go - far brighter than stock lights.

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10927 on: December 16, 2017, 08:09:49 pm »
Fitted a new oil pickup pipe,sump plug,oil and filter,pre cat 02 senser and sorted a boost leek I nevernew I had
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #10928 on: December 17, 2017, 12:27:57 am »
minor service at parkway VW leicester..didnt even wash my car!!  :sad1:

Offline harveym3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #10929 on: December 17, 2017, 02:20:18 pm »
And you would let them wash it anyway  :slap:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10930 on: December 17, 2017, 02:58:30 pm »
https://imgur.com/a/Am8BC

Bought some new Xenons as one had pinkeye. After about 30 mins of faffing around, I managed to fit it. Without electrocuting myself.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:00:36 pm by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #10931 on: December 18, 2017, 12:38:05 am »
And you would let them wash it anyway  :slap:

@harveym3 haha true but its looking a bit filthy so would have helped. but you're right they do a dire job. normally leave my alloys still looking grubby

willni

What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10932 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:48 pm »
Fitted the mk6 steering wheel and CH module today, needs a little bit of coding I think to get the horn to work and to remove the steering angle light (no steering assist currently) and the accompanying traction and tyre pressure lights.

Looks great though and actually works with the radio (RNS315)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 11:01:14 am by willni »

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10933 on: December 20, 2017, 11:35:28 am »
Sold my Valeos today and put the ed30 lights back on, this time with twin LED reverse bulbs

How do you get twin reverse lights
red mk5 golf gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe/decat,dv+,bcs rev ll exhaust stage 1 remap.coilovers,whiteline rarb and depo projectors,
Edition 30 front splitter,r32/gti rear,r32 side skirts
Soon to be r tech stage 2

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #10934 on: December 20, 2017, 12:01:56 pm »
Fitted the mk6 steering wheel and CH module today, needs a little bit of coding I think to get the horn to work and to remove the steering angle light (no steering assist currently) and the accompanying traction and tyre pressure lights.

Looks great though and actually works with the radio (RNS315)

Looks great Will - perfect fit with the Ed30 trim! Give me shout if you want [free!!!] coding