Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527439 times)

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11325 on: October 12, 2018, 12:11:30 pm »
Changed my long serving Varta OEM VW battery for the latest version of almost the same battery from Varta via Tayna batteries. The old one was just tired really and not broken so has lower cranking and capacity values. Sorted for the next 11 years  :happy2: I also would never have thought I would have used one of those wierd Dad xmas present sockets to undo a rusty rear tray bolt, but it worked  :happy2: :happy2:

Cheers, Rip.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e44/

on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 11:26:17 pm by Ripstop »
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #11326 on: October 13, 2018, 04:53:12 pm »
failed mot, bought new rear caliper, passed mot, bagged it
by Guy, on Flickr

willni

« Reply #11327 on: October 13, 2018, 09:33:12 pm »
Fitted the Nighteye LED's to my full beams and fixed a few rattles on the car  :smiley:

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11328 on: October 15, 2018, 01:19:11 pm »
Passed my MOT with no advisories :happy2:

Fitted a Pinoeer SPH-DA120 after months of deliberation over what to replace the old unit with. Now wondered if I should get a sub or Focal 3 ways in the door....

Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11329 on: October 15, 2018, 06:29:54 pm »
failed mot, bought new rear caliper, passed mot, bagged it
by Guy, on Flickr

Nice, can you drive it when its that low, or is that for when you're parked up only?
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #11330 on: October 17, 2018, 05:23:10 pm »
Backs could drive that low as nothing is touching the front drivers side sits on the driveshaft so couldn’t drive at that height

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Doug426

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11331 on: October 20, 2018, 08:56:01 pm »
Just a quick job.....  :angry015:

Time to get this party started....

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #11332 on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:33 pm »
Two new front tyres fitted. Goodyear F1 asymmetric 3's £79.50 each. Got a local tyreshop to match the Black Circles internet price. They are on the list of fitters that Black Circles use, yet one branch quoted  £105 each, when I first called. Pays to shop around. Need a bit of dual carriageway to check balance is all ok, - have read a few posts recently about wobbles at motoraway speeds after changing tyres. Hmmm..... Might be over-thinking it :thinking:

Offline TomF

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #11333 on: October 25, 2018, 12:00:11 pm »
New oil and filter for first time in my ownership, activated charcoal cabin filter and general clean up underneath the engine.

Winter tyre fitting this weekend...

Offline mayesj86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Candy white ED30
« Reply #11334 on: October 30, 2018, 10:44:58 am »
Big list of things on the hit list this week for the Eddy...... New coilovers getting fitted, 2 new wheel bearings, Timing belt and water pump kit plus coolant flush, Aux belt and tensioner, Clubsport S 2 piece disk and new pads, Rear pads, Full service inc gearbox oil, cam follower, brake and clutch fluids, Full 4 wheel alignment and corner weighting plus an MOT. Not looking forward to the end bill but cant put a price on the cars health and safety.
Work commitments just now haven't allowed me to do the works myself unfortunately and some may know my distrust in garages from previous posts however DH automotive in Bonnybridge has a great reputation in the VAG world up here is Scotland and seemed a genuinely nice bunch with some cracking cars of their own so fingers crossed she will be tip top when everything is done.

Cheers
Jason

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #11335 on: October 30, 2018, 12:36:02 pm »
Big bill coming! I’d be grateful if you could share the geo and corner weighting results, either here or by PM.

Offline mayesj86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Candy white ED30
« Reply #11336 on: October 30, 2018, 12:58:03 pm »
Big bill coming! I’d be grateful if you could share the geo and corner weighting results, either here or by PM.

No problem buddy will post up in a few days when I get her back. Its going to be a sore one but worth it. Apart from the cam chain debacle I've not really had to spend money on the car bar the usual servicing and general wear and tear items. Looking forward to testing the new coilovers out. Sprung down slightly with them as I have adjustable ARB's fitted already. Also forgot to mention the Tyrol front subframe locking kit is getting fitted too  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11337 on: October 30, 2018, 04:23:10 pm »
You'll be pleased with the new brakes.  I fitted the Clubsport S discs and new pads all round in August I think, or maybe September, my memory is shat.  All 4 pads are now well and truly bedded in and the stopping power is superb.  It used to be with the 312 setup, I'd drive a different car and head butt the windscreen when tapping the brakes for the first time.  Now it's the other way round  :smiley:

Did you go with GTI pads at the rear, or the 'ECO' ones VW offer?  I had to ask for the GTI ones, otherwise the dealer defaulted to the sawdust spec ones.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mayesj86

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Candy white ED30
« Reply #11338 on: October 30, 2018, 04:44:18 pm »
You'll be pleased with the new brakes.  I fitted the Clubsport S discs and new pads all round in August I think, or maybe September, my memory is shat.  All 4 pads are now well and truly bedded in and the stopping power is superb.  It used to be with the 312 setup, I'd drive a different car and head butt the windscreen when tapping the brakes for the first time.  Now it's the other way round  :smiley:

Did you go with GTI pads at the rear, or the 'ECO' ones VW offer?  I had to ask for the GTI ones, otherwise the dealer defaulted to the sawdust spec ones.

I'm looking forward to giving them a go. Was swithering for a while about what route to go. I actually had a set of DS2500 to fit. Got myself a bargain in the summer when I was having a wee look about so getting them fitted and a set of yellow stuff in the rear for now. They were starting to feel tired and spongy lost the peddle feel. Hoping a good bleed and new set up will bring it back to life.

Glad your enjoying them now I was looking at your thread when you were fitting them was intrigued  to hear your opinion on them. How are you finding the new ARB's? Having mine set up soft on the front and hard on the rear ended up going for 8kg/mm front springs and 6kg/mm on the rear springs with the new coilovers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:00:00 pm by mayesj86 »

Offline hunt808

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11339 on: October 30, 2018, 09:28:08 pm »
Had a new exhaust fitted. And wow - what a difference. Feels as smooth as silk again.

New brake caliper on the back. Old one was knackered and seizing on the disc.

Celebrated with a quick run to the chip shop. ;-)