Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2526908 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #9855 on: November 14, 2016, 04:10:07 pm »
Just updated the RNS-510 maps to V14 (2017). :smiley:

Offline Pashka

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #9856 on: November 14, 2016, 04:28:33 pm »
have you got the source for download?
06 1.9 TDI Owner. Retrofits: Bixenons, Drls, Full GT/GTI exterior, RNS510+MDI+Premium Bluetooth+RVC+OPS, Full Fis, MFSW, Cruise control, TPMS, Polar Fis, Boot pop up and more.. :)
Coding, diagnostic and retrofits in Leeds
Pre coded Can Gateways for battery drain issues with RNS510 and similar headunits
Premium Bluetooth modules/kit
RNS510 Service - codes, maps/firmware updates
Latest V8 West EU maps update service for RNS315

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #9857 on: November 14, 2016, 05:15:12 pm »
have you got the source for download?
From the usual source but sharing it is against the forum rules as I've shared the link in the past and it was deleted. :sad1:

Offline PatchySan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 59
  • Gracie!
« Reply #9858 on: November 14, 2016, 07:47:11 pm »
If you don't mind how are you finding the head-unit? Any annoyances or any quirks that you notice day to day? I am running with a rcd 300 but I am looking at upgrade paths.

Here's a quick summary of the experiences I had with my RCD 330G so far:

+ Sharp and clear, the screen is easy to read during the day or night.
+ The touchscreen is responsive which is great for swiping through large playlists.
+ Controls are logical and easy to use. Volume is plenty loud in my GTI, I rarely notch it above halfway.
+ Lots of connectivity options though I only used my 16GB SDXC card which works great for now.
+ Bluetooth pairing is straightforward and easy to connect.
+ Quick to boot (has the new Welcome to Volkswagen Splash Screen) and connects to my phone BT and contacts quite quickly on startup.
+ You can read SMS messages on the go (though not a good idea if you're driving).
+ You even have a choice of incoming ringtones through the system!
+ OEM look and feel, no regrets going for this system and it refreshes the interior nicely.

= Average call quality - Some calls I've conducted are fine while for some they have a bit of difficulty hearing me out. I don't know whether it's down due to poor network signal (I am on the move obviously!) or the mic placement where it favours LHD so I need more time to investigate this.
= No full RDS Radio support (just states Frequencies) but when you lock on to a station it does tell you what it is near the bottom (i.e. Radio 1, Capital) so all is not lost!

- I haven't managed to get Mirrorlink working as yet, I borrowed my mates LG G5 which supposed to work but it didn't budge. Maybe we got a bad cable or the system firmware needs updating. Even so I kinda wished they implemented something like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto instead which probably be more straightforward than Mirrorlink.
- VCDS gets a bit confused with the RCD 330G and think the stereo system is faulty, though this hasn't affected the car's performance, battery or the stereo itself but it's something worth mentioning. I probably will check the wiring at the back to make sure (it has been spliced for a Nokia BT system before) but I think VCDS is more geared to the 2nd/3rd gen stereo units for now.
- Doesn't work with existing media kits like the 6 CD Autochanger, would be cool but no cigar.

Hope this helps, I will update should there be more issues or hidden features that I find with it.

Offline blueislander80

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #9859 on: November 15, 2016, 01:09:16 pm »
If you don't mind how are you finding the head-unit? Any annoyances or any quirks that you notice day to day? I am running with a rcd 300 but I am looking at upgrade paths.

+ The touchscreen is responsive which is great for swiping through large playlists.
+ Controls are logical and easy to use. Volume is plenty loud in my GTI, I rarely notch it above halfway.
+ Lots of connectivity options though I only used my 16GB SDXC card which works great for now.
+ Quick to boot (has the new Welcome to Volkswagen Splash Screen) and connects to my phone BT and contacts quite quickly on startup.
+ You can read SMS messages on the go (though not a good idea if you're driving).
+ OEM look and feel, no regrets going for this system and it refreshes the interior nicely.

= Average call quality - Some calls I've conducted are fine while for some they have a bit of difficulty hearing me out. I don't know whether it's down due to poor network signal (I am on the move obviously!) or the mic placement where it favours LHD so I need more time to investigate this.
= No full RDS Radio support (just states Frequencies) but when you lock on to a station it does tell you what it is near the bottom (i.e. Radio 1, Capital) so all is not lost!

- I haven't managed to get Mirrorlink working as yet, I borrowed my mates LG G5 which supposed to work but it didn't budge. Maybe we got a bad cable or the system firmware needs updating. Even so I kinda wished they implemented something like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto instead which probably be more straightforward than Mirrorlink.
- VCDS gets a bit confused with the RCD 330G and think the stereo system is faulty, though this hasn't affected the car's performance, battery or the stereo itself but it's something worth mentioning. I probably will check the wiring at the back to make sure (it has been spliced for a Nokia BT system before) but I think VCDS is more geared to the 2nd/3rd gen stereo units for now.
- Doesn't work with existing media kits like the 6 CD Autochanger, would be cool but no cigar.

Hope this helps, I will update should there be more issues or hidden features that I find with it.

Off the back of PatchySan's helpful advice I ordered one of these units and it arrives tomorrow - hopefully in the next fortnight I will get it fitted as I am a bit busy right now. Once it is in I will be able to give a view. Interestingly I have an LG G5 so I may be able to confirm the mirrorlink functionality issue.

My desire is to keep the car as standard as the day it was delivered new, but the old RCD unit was woeful in terms of connectivity. My plan is an SD card with music, Bluetooth for calls or spotify, and the FM/AM radio is fine for 5 live or Talksport if I am on the road and there is a match on. Our other car is a new Ford Focus and with all of that connectivity I had to get something to bring the Golf in line.

When ordering I went for the same unit as Patchy - the bigger touchscreen that removes the CD player, as well as the Fakra radio antenna and an updated CANBUS module - all from a Chinese seller on AliExpress. This is my first foray into Chinese purchases or HU upgrades so it's a baptism of fire. My local car audio garage seems confident in coding and installation so hopefully it all goes well and avoids battery drain. Once it is in I will do an update to collaborate on Patchy's findings.

As an option outside of the normal RNS-type upgrades, but keeping it OEM, I think it should do the trick quite nicely, whilst removing the costs of all the additional Bluetooth bits n bobs.

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #9860 on: November 16, 2016, 12:27:15 pm »
New front lip ordered to give the front of the car a more aggressive look

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #9861 on: November 16, 2016, 02:29:45 pm »
Finally got around to fitting my engine sump magnetic plug.
One of these from motorport developments
http://shop.motorsport-developments.co.uk/all-other-vw-petrol-m14x15-807-p
 Will be interesting to see what/ if it collects anything...

At the same time, also attempted to fit my new ECS gearbox drain magnetic plug, from Awesome, but they've sent the wrong part,   this despite confirming the required part number by email!
NOT IMPRESSED! There's a 2mm difference in diameter!

A right pita, and I've lost >1 L of Millers finest (and most expensive!) Motorsport Gearbox oil, and apprx 2 hrs work in the process, including all the effing about...

Please note. As i discovered this morning, these fancy fully synthetic oils are so thin, that will drop straight out of the drain plug, even with fill plug still in place! Even when cold...
Good job I had brought 5L when i last changed it!
I was also quite surprised how "used" the appearance of the oil was, given its only done 10k mikes or so, mostly motorway miles too.

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #9862 on: November 16, 2016, 06:08:12 pm »
At the same time, also attempted to fit my new ECS gearbox drain magnetic plug, from Awesome, but they've sent the wrong part,   this despite confirming the required part number by email!
NOT IMPRESSED! There's a 2mm difference in diameter!

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, good to see they've sorted the issue  :mad:

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9863 on: November 16, 2016, 07:27:30 pm »
.... been looking for an emoticon for w@nk€rs...

:fighting:

mk5nut

« Reply #9864 on: November 17, 2016, 12:42:31 pm »

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390464426028

That's the one I got which is probably exactly the same just different pics. Only thing is I'd recommend getting an oem gasket as the ones they give you arnt great and might blow after a year or 2 maybe. Other than that I'm very pleased with mine.

Hey ! How are you finding the downpipe ? I want a 3inch one but can't justify the huge money that the big companies are asking !

TIA

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9865 on: November 17, 2016, 08:53:44 pm »
Fab5freddy

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, good to see they've sorted the issue 

How did you get this resolved?

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #9866 on: November 17, 2016, 09:22:00 pm »
Fab5freddy

Same thing happened to me a couple of years ago, good to see they've sorted the issue 

How did you get this resolved?

I didn't mate, I'm in Ireland, wasn't worth paying for return postage  :sad1:

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #9867 on: November 17, 2016, 11:16:56 pm »

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390464426028

That's the one I got which is probably exactly the same just different pics. Only thing is I'd recommend getting an oem gasket as the ones they give you arnt great and might blow after a year or 2 maybe. Other than that I'm very pleased with mine.

Hey ! How are you finding the downpipe ? I want a 3inch one but can't justify the huge money that the big companies are asking !

TIA

Yeah really good. Had it on a month and no problems.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline tokomak

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9868 on: November 18, 2016, 11:21:05 am »

In depth thanks. Just a point about mirror link, apparently it will only function with android phones running 4.2 and earlier.

Also is it DAB as my current set up is analog. 

PPC229W

« Reply #9869 on: November 19, 2016, 09:08:00 pm »
Wet and dry then machine polish cloudy headlight and a quick wash