Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527120 times)

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10020 on: January 14, 2017, 03:59:16 pm »
Car has been in to my local guys for the cambelt, waterpump and the thermostat - piece of mind and now I have real working heating LOL.

Today I did:
Air filter change - Piper panel job, not really bothered about fancy intake at this stage more for maintenance than anything
New DV - old one was actually in good condition from a diaphragm point of view - no tears, and it may be original as its a 710C variant? Still it has been throwing a mechanical fault code in VCDS so done anyway.
Quick shift fitted, which I am looking forward to trying in a bit, the original gear change is ridiculously long for a performance car IMO.

Next is sump drop, pickup clean, oil change and the one I am nervous about - the cam follower - as I am dreading stripping a bolt or something.

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10021 on: January 14, 2017, 05:41:36 pm »
Repaired:

1) My brother's V6 4Motion by changing the wishbone bushes for solid R32 ones
2) My GTI by changing the purge valve for the charcoal canister system to hopefully get rid of a recent annoying fault code
3) My Cube mountain bike with a new chain

Time for feet up and telly now!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:05:17 pm by OEM+ DUB »
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10022 on: January 14, 2017, 10:08:46 pm »
Repaired:

1) My brother's V6 4Motion by convincing the wishbone bushes for solid R32 ones
2) My GTI by changing the purge valve for the charcoal canister system to hopefully get rid of a recent annoying fault code
3) My Cube mountain bike with a new chain

Time for feet up and telly now!
Just the S3 has solid rear bushes in the front control arms. The R32 has the same bushes as any Golf with casted iron arms.

Offline OEM+ DUB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10023 on: January 15, 2017, 02:04:27 pm »

Just the S3 has solid rear bushes in the front control arms. The R32 has the same bushes as any Golf with casted iron arms.
[/quote]

The V6 4Motion is a Mk4 - only the R32 Mk4 had solid rear bushes on this platform.  I think you are thinking of the Mk5.
OEM+ 2005 GTI DSG (high factory standard spec and upgraded with S3 alloy hubs, S3 alloy wishbones, Bilstein B8s and VWR springs by my own hands) owned since 2008 and still loving it!

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #10024 on: January 15, 2017, 04:43:42 pm »
Today -
Retrofit cruise control. A little bit of messing about with the coding and clearing the faults, but all looks to be working great! For the £10 it cost me for a stalk (although spent another £30 on spline bits - but they will be reused throughout the car) , I am mighty impressed. Also managed to clear a load of fag ash from inside the steering wheel plastics which was a bonus.

Offline peter_booker2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10025 on: January 15, 2017, 06:35:35 pm »
Nothing today, but just bought a set of TD Pro Race 1.2's and an Forge Induction Kit.

Just got too find time to fit them now.
Past: MK5 Golf GTI, Black Magic Pearl, Xenons, SatNav, MFSW, Highline
Past: Edition 30 #1411, Tornado Red, Xenons, Revo Intake, H+R Springs, Highline, DSG,

Current: Mk5 Golf GTI, Steel Grey, 3dr, Manual

Offline spwd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
  • Hello I'm Steve.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110133.msg1073872.html#new
« Reply #10026 on: January 15, 2017, 08:07:01 pm »
Put my wrapped gearstick surround back on and took off the dash parts to wrap them, also tried putting my cherry red hazard switch on but had a nightmare with the fecking wire clips.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 08:21:33 pm by spwd »

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #10027 on: January 15, 2017, 08:53:28 pm »
Power washed the car at work the wheels were a right state after the snow and slush
Edition 30 num 859

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10028 on: January 16, 2017, 01:00:43 pm »
Busy, busy weekend working on a few things which  have been bugging me.

I recently bought this car back from my sister who's had it for the last 4 years, let's just say, she'd service it but that's as far as "minding" a car goes with her!

I bought it standard about 5 years back and had it for a year, during which I made several changes.

Hella projectors, Anniversary rears, R32 rear bumper and back box, colour coded side skirts, Anniversary front splitter, Cupra lower splitter, R-line foglight covers (colour coded between the blades), custom fitted mudflaps and 18" BBS LM replicas. Before and after pictures below for comparison.  :happy2:

So this weekends work consisted of some much overdue maintenance and some tweaks;

Service : Oil, Air, Cabin and fuel filters. Plugs. Rear OE shocks and springs, Main thermostat (nightmare) Cam follower - I  have the banjo bolt so a bit of extra headache but all was good so happy days..

Vag-Com & retrofit : Boot pop kit, beep for lock/unlock, install/activate cruise, skyline rear lights, window closure on remote, boost gauge in the air vent.

Does anyone know if auto dip mirror for reverse is possible without memory seats, saw it in the options, ticked it but no go? (DSG car if it makes any difference).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:25:57 pm by mkmg76 »

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #10029 on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:25 pm »
^^^^^^^^^ It's possible if you fit a Polar Fis unit, do you have highline fis? It is very temperamental though  :sad1:

@mkmg76

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10030 on: January 16, 2017, 01:21:37 pm »
^^^^^^^^^ It's possible if you fit a Polar Fis unit, do you have highline fis? It is very temperamental though  :sad1:

@mkmg76

Ah ok, no, don't have polar (or highline, next on the mod list!).

Thanks for the reply though, wouldn't really want it if it's temperamental anyway, things like that drive me mad! :happy2:

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
« Reply #10031 on: January 16, 2017, 01:25:22 pm »
I've given up with mine, it has a mind of it's own  :rolleye:

Car looks great by the way, keep up the good work  :happy2:

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10032 on: January 16, 2017, 01:27:16 pm »

Can you undo it?

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
« Reply #10033 on: January 16, 2017, 01:42:01 pm »

Can you undo it?

Yeah, it's a setting within the Polar to operate the mirrors. I've got it disabled now. The rest of the Polar works great

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #10034 on: January 16, 2017, 02:13:59 pm »
Busy, busy weekend working on a few things which  have been bugging me.

I recently bought this car back from my sister who's had it for the last 4 years, let's just say, she'd service it but that's as far as "minding" a car goes with her!

I bought it standard about 5 years back and had it for a year, during which I made several changes.

Hella projectors, Anniversary rears, R32 rear bumper and back box, colour coded side skirts, Anniversary front splitter, Cupra lower splitter, R-line foglight covers (colour coded between the blades), custom fitted mudflaps and 18" BBS LM replicas. Before and after pictures below for comparison.  :happy2:

So this weekends work consisted of some much overdue maintenance and some tweaks;

Service : Oil, Air, Cabin and fuel filters. Plugs. Rear OE shocks and springs, Main thermostat (nightmare) Cam follower - I  have the banjo bolt so a bit of extra headache but all was good so happy days..

Vag-Com & retrofit : Boot pop kit, beep for lock/unlock, install/activate cruise, skyline rear lights, window closure on remote, boost gauge in the air vent.

Does anyone know if auto dip mirror for reverse is possible without memory seats, saw it in the options, ticked it but no go? (DSG car if it makes any difference).
Very very nice  :happy2: I'm looking to fit one of those boost gauges in mine as it looks cool.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:27:41 pm by r5gtt »