Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527632 times)

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10560 on: July 14, 2017, 07:05:06 am »
@Pudding what colour/number shoe cream is that? They do rather a lot... Is it in fact the Anthracite Grey? Cheers, Stu.
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #10561 on: July 14, 2017, 10:36:22 am »
Busy day yesterday. H&R arbs / superpro lca + balljoints fitted, together with an oil service including gearbox. Will take it for a geo set-up later.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #10562 on: July 14, 2017, 12:09:53 pm »
Amazon is about to sell out of that leather cream.....
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10563 on: July 14, 2017, 12:14:40 pm »
@Pudding where did you purchase the rear brace from? I'm thinking of getting the R-Tech rear brace. :smiley:

Edit: I've seen your review post in the meantime and it answered my question: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113541.0. :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10564 on: July 14, 2017, 12:34:36 pm »
@Pudding what colour/number shoe cream is that? They do rather a lot... Is it in fact the Anthracite Grey? Cheers, Stu.

@Stupots Number 15 mate, dark grey.  For really deep scratches, a few coats might be needed, or a leather repair / dye kit (I bought one of those from Hamazon too) but for light scuffs and general treatment, it works really well.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10565 on: July 14, 2017, 01:06:44 pm »

@Stupots Number 15 mate, dark grey.  For really deep scratches, a few coats might be needed, or a leather repair / dye kit (I bought one of those from Hamazon too) but for light scuffs and general treatment, it works really well.
Stupid question but does it stain clothing? Would love to buy this but don't want SWMBO to get upset because I've ruined her fave clothing.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

willni

« Reply #10566 on: July 14, 2017, 02:34:00 pm »

Stupid question but does it stain clothing? Would love to buy this but don't want SWMBO to get upset because I've ruined her fave clothing.

Buff it off after it's applied and it won't, just like shoes

Offline Stevie1982

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10567 on: July 14, 2017, 10:07:22 pm »
Bought it  :happy2: an edition 30, so hello to all from a new owner

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #10568 on: July 15, 2017, 10:33:35 pm »
Replaced the broken bottom mounting on the headlight using the VW repair kit. Dead easy!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10569 on: July 17, 2017, 09:44:18 am »

Buff it off after it's applied and it won't, just like shoes

As above, it shouldn't stain clothing.  I was concerned it would turn the red stitching grey, but it didn't  :smiley:

I think regular treatment, like polishing shoes, will keep the leather looking great for a long time  :happy2:

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10570 on: July 17, 2017, 10:07:44 am »
Finally got around to fitting my brake upgrade. Front set from a MK5 R32.

Massive improvement in looks, jury is still out on performance. So far I can feel that where the old brakes used to reach their limit in stopping power, these just keep hauling you down. I was expecting more bite from them but haven't had that so far. The pads and discs were used so there's no guarantee that I've put them back on the corresponding sides as they were on the previous owners car so I'm assuming they have yet to bed in fully. We'll see.  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10571 on: July 17, 2017, 11:14:38 am »

Massive improvement in looks, jury is still out on performance. So far I can feel that where the old brakes used to reach their limit in stopping power, these just keep hauling you down. I was expecting more bite from them but haven't had that so far. The pads and discs were used so there's no guarantee that I've put them back on the corresponding sides as they were on the previous owners car so I'm assuming they have yet to bed in fully. We'll see.  :happy2:

Good work!  Are the pads/discs OEM?  The initial bite should be good if they are, so perhaps just need a bit more hauling in!

Do you notice the extra weight of the brakes over bumps etc?

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10572 on: July 17, 2017, 11:26:26 am »

Good work!  Are the pads/discs OEM?  The initial bite should be good if they are, so perhaps just need a bit more hauling in!

I have definitely noticed a difference in the weight, the front wheels seem to be more planted on the road. Very unexpected side effect I must say! You can actually feel the extra mass when cornering slowly round town etc. Thought I was imagining it at first!  :grin:

I've been thinking of getting some of that blue brake fluid and flushing the whole system. At least when it turns blue at the nipple, you'll know its fully flushed. I was bleeding yesterday for ages and the fluid that was coming out looked manky. I didn't have my laptop as i was at my parents house but went to the beach beside their house and did a few emergency stops to activate the ABS pump but I'll do it with VCDS too just to be sure.  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10573 on: July 17, 2017, 11:38:29 am »

I have definitely noticed a difference in the weight, the front wheels seem to be more planted on the road. Very unexpected side effect I must say! You can actually feel the extra mass when cornering slowly round town etc. Thought I was imagining it at first!  :grin:

I've been thinking of getting some of that blue brake fluid and flushing the whole system. At least when it turns blue at the nipple, you'll know its fully flushed. I was bleeding yesterday for ages and the fluid that was coming out looked manky. I didn't have my laptop as i was at my parents house but went to the beach beside their house and did a few emergency stops to activate the ABS pump but I'll do it with VCDS too just to be sure.  :happy2:

Cool!  I like that weighty, keyed into the tarmac feel.  It'll be interesting to see how the dampers cope with the increased weight over high frequency bumps.  Hopefully you won't notice anything!

Yep, good stuff on the ABS pump!  That should get the valves working and flush some of the built up crud into the system for bleed off!

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10574 on: July 17, 2017, 11:53:09 am »

Cool!  I like that weighty, keyed into the tarmac feel.  It'll be interesting to see how the dampers cope with the increased weight over high frequency bumps.  Hopefully you won't notice anything!

Yep, good stuff on the ABS pump!  That should get the valves working and flush some of the built up crud into the system for bleed off!

Is it just a VW thing in general, they seem to be a beeatch to bleed, I had a mk4 with a soft pedal and could never get it right. I even went as far as changing the master cylinder and still no improvement. These kind of remind me of that, although nowhere near as bad, there's no major initial bite and if you hold solid pressure on the pedal it seems to sink.

Just curious, if you put constant pressure on your pedal does it sink slightly?