Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527342 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10575 on: July 18, 2017, 01:09:33 am »
Installed a VW approved Kenwood DNX525DAB,

Bought and fitted a K&N Typhoon intake,

Removed the pre-cat (No Pic), removed my back box to let my R32 style pipes breath a bit easier!  :wink:

Also bought a full R32 front brake set up which I haven't fitted yet but will over next weekend weather permitting! Got stuck into refurbing them straight away and I think they turned out great. :happy2:

Very nice  :happy2: and the stereo  :love: ly well done

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10576 on: July 18, 2017, 01:12:41 pm »

Removed the pre-cat (No Pic), removed my back box to let my R32 style pipes breath a bit easier!  :wink:

Also bought a full R32 front brake set up which I haven't fitted yet but will over next weekend weather permitting! Got stuck into refurbing them straight away and I think they turned out great. :happy2:

Thank you!  :happy2:

Gave the brakes a bit of a work out on the way home last night at a couple of quiet roundabouts. They're really starting to bite. I've had a suspension upgrade in mind for a while now but these are really driving home how badly its needed. They're completely overwhelming the suspension under hard braking, the whole car is nose diving! Good result I think.  :smiley:

willni

« Reply #10577 on: July 18, 2017, 02:12:10 pm »

Got my steering wheel back from royal steering wheels, full smooth leather, red stitch 12 o'clock stripe and 1mm padding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willni

« Reply #10578 on: July 18, 2017, 04:03:41 pm »
And fitted!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10579 on: July 18, 2017, 07:08:39 pm »

Gave the brakes a bit of a work out on the way home last night at a couple of quiet roundabouts. They're really starting to bite. I've had a suspension upgrade in mind for a while now but these are really driving home how badly its needed. They're completely overwhelming the suspension under hard braking, the whole car is nose diving! Good result I think.  :smiley:
Bet it's a big difference in comparison to the oem brakes!!!

yeah I know what you mean by nose diving as mines been doing this recently so soon to change them for the H&R shocks and springs I've been holding on to for nearly a year now  :doh:

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10580 on: July 18, 2017, 07:31:57 pm »

yeah I know what you mean by nose diving as mines been doing this recently so soon to change them for the H&R shocks and springs I've been holding on to for nearly a year now  :doh:

Yep, massive difference. Glad I went for it as I always thought it was under braked for the weight of the car. Looking forward to getting the new suspension in.

Get yours done and get the pictures up!  :happy2:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10581 on: July 18, 2017, 10:00:34 pm »

Got my steering wheel back from royal steering wheels, full smooth leather, red stitch 12 o'clock stripe and 1mm padding

now that's a steering wheel  :smiley:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10582 on: July 18, 2017, 10:03:03 pm »

Yep, massive difference. Glad I went for it as I always thought it was under braked for the weight of the car. Looking forward to getting the new suspension in.

Get yours done and get the pictures up!  :happy2:
glad you're happy as I'm getting used to the Porsche turbo brakes now and they seem to be neck breaking as my mate James put it  :signLOL:
Suspension will go on soon but now for the pioneer door subs, pioneer rear door speakers and alpine 4 channel amp  :jumping:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10583 on: July 19, 2017, 09:48:09 am »
Finally got around to fitting my brake upgrade. Front set from a MK5 R32.

Massive improvement in looks, jury is still out on performance. So far I can feel that where the old brakes used to reach their limit in stopping power, these just keep hauling you down. I was expecting more bite from them but haven't had that so far. The pads and discs were used so there's no guarantee that I've put them back on the corresponding sides as they were on the previous owners car so I'm assuming they have yet to bed in fully. We'll see.  :happy2:

Good work!  Are the pads/discs OEM?  The initial bite should be good if they are, so perhaps just need a bit more hauling in!

Do you notice the extra weight of the brakes over bumps etc?

I have definitely noticed a difference in the weight, the front wheels seem to be more planted on the road. Very unexpected side effect I must say! You can actually feel the extra mass when cornering slowly round town etc. Thought I was imagining it at first!  :grin:

I've been thinking of getting some of that blue brake fluid and flushing the whole system. At least when it turns blue at the nipple, you'll know its fully flushed. I was bleeding yesterday for ages and the fluid that was coming out looked manky. I didn't have my laptop as i was at my parents house but went to the beach beside their house and did a few emergency stops to activate the ABS pump but I'll do it with VCDS too just to be sure.  :happy2:

Cool!  I like that weighty, keyed into the tarmac feel.  It'll be interesting to see how the dampers cope with the increased weight over high frequency bumps.  Hopefully you won't notice anything!

Yep, good stuff on the ABS pump!  That should get the valves working and flush some of the built up crud into the system for bleed off!

Is it just a VW thing in general, they seem to be a beeatch to bleed, I had a mk4 with a soft pedal and could never get it right. I even went as far as changing the master cylinder and still no improvement. These kind of remind me of that, although nowhere near as bad, there's no major initial bite and if you hold solid pressure on the pedal it seems to sink.

Just curious, if you put constant pressure on your pedal does it sink slightly?

I keep forgetting to check that for you, but from memory of my previous VWs, yeah the pedal does sink a bit after a small amount of time. I think it's because the servo vacuum depletes?  You would know if you had air in the system because the pedal would move closer to the floor the harder you stand on it, without much increase in braking effort.   An airtight system should hold a solid pedal (when braking) once all the initial caliper & pad slack has been taken up.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10584 on: July 19, 2017, 12:03:47 pm »
AKS Tuning trip yesterday, and had the following done:

1 x Walnut blast inlet cleaning service.
1 x New A/C condenser and A/C service.
1 x RS4 return valve (for when I eventually fit the TTE420).
1 x VibratorTechniques left engine mount, fast road spec.
1 x VibratorTechniques right engine mount, fast road spec.
I've already got the VT dogbone, so those 2 completed the set - bar the small end insert.
1 x Vehicle check over (steering rack, brakes, that kind of thing)

Didn't notice a thing with the inlet cleaning  :grin:   I wasn't really expecting any miracles though as I've never had any cold or hot running problems. My valves didn't look that bad anyway (112K miles).  I suspect it's down to driving style and how hot the engine gets on each journey.

Old A/C rad was blocked and falling to pieces, but again, no improvements in airflow to the intercooler were felt on the bum dyno.  Nice to have some chilly air again though  :smiley:

The boys gave the car a good bill of health and said the play in the rack was slight and nothing to worry about yet. Cool and the gang!

The engine mounts are a huge improvement over the useless OEM ones.  They solve all of the known issues with only a slight sacrifice in cabin refinement.  I'm very OCD with that sort of thing, so if I can live with them, anyone can!  If you've done suspension, braking and engine mods, the uselessness of the standard mounts is exacerbated.  The mounts are the final piece of the puzzle and makes the whole car more rewarding to drive quickly.  I defo would not recommend poly or VT 'race' spec.  VT Fast road is the perfect compromise.

It's hard not to waffle on about such a fundamental change to the car because there are both improvements and sacrifices to consider, but if folk want a full 5 page dossier review, I'll do one.  Personally I hate 1 sentence reviews because all the important stuff is left out, but I appreciate not everyone can be arsed to read more than 5 words  :grin:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10585 on: July 19, 2017, 12:10:06 pm »
Nice review of the work done and upgrades. Now you made me think again about the VT engine and gearbox mounts... :laugh:

PS: Your autocorrector changed your Vibra-Technics to Vibrator... :signLOL:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #10586 on: July 19, 2017, 12:26:23 pm »
Vibrator techniques  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Good stuff pudding! I didnt notice any difference when I cleaned my inlets tbh. Only did it as I had mani off for other bits. Brakes are next on my list, but seeing as you highly rate the mounts (and I trust your opinion!  :love:) I will definitely consider them. Be interested in the cheaper options available. Must be much of a muchness? Im not fussed about comfort - stripped with a cage and no air con Ive given up on comfort!

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #10587 on: July 19, 2017, 01:33:36 pm »
Funny that brakes seems to be the topic atm I havent been driving my eddie very much over the last couple of months been driving my wifes touran and I swear the brakes feel soooo much better. Really gonna have to get mine upgraded
Edition 30 num 859

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10588 on: July 19, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »
Nice review of the work done and upgrades. Now you made me think again about the VT engine and gearbox mounts... :laugh:

PS: Your autocorrector changed your Vibra-Technics to Vibrator... :signLOL:

Haha, no I typed it that way deliberately  :smiley:  It's how my warped mind works I'm afraid  :grin:

I've had them before in other VWs and they last a long time, so are a good investment  :happy2:   They didn't work quite as nicely as they do in the TFSI platform though.  The R32 especially suffered BADLY with NVH, but the TFSI likes them!

They are easily the best engine mounts out there, imo.   They feel like what the VW engineers wanted to fit, but weren't allowed to.  All of the vibrations the standard mounts cause, are still there and a little more noticeable, but they don't add anything unbearable on a day to day basis.  They've been great in heavy traffic so far.  No one wants tractor shakes at idle when sat in traffic for ages!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10589 on: July 19, 2017, 02:47:15 pm »
Vibrator techniques  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Good stuff pudding! I didnt notice any difference when I cleaned my inlets tbh. Only did it as I had mani off for other bits. Brakes are next on my list, but seeing as you highly rate the mounts (and I trust your opinion!  :love:) I will definitely consider them. Be interested in the cheaper options available. Must be much of a muchness? Im not fussed about comfort - stripped with a cage and no air con Ive given up on comfort!

It's nice to get all of that muck out of the ports and off the valves, but it's never going to transform the engine  :smiley:   I suspect the people who suffer with startup & low rpm roughness is down to knackered injectors or RFD deletes, than carbon build ups.

You would think they are much of a muchness, but you need to hold the Vibrators in your hand (oo er!), and compare them to their competition!  There's no comparison.  They even make the OEM ones look like cheap Chinese tat.   If you're not worried about refinement, you're probably a customer for race spec Vibrators, for some even harder and faster vibrating action!  Or maybe the Revo poly ones, which are definitely harsh!