Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2529017 times)

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10680 on: August 14, 2017, 12:19:11 pm »
If you guys get any strange hesitancy, rough idle, sluggishness until boost kicked in, jolting when coming off the throttle, surging in the lower gears, unexplained acceleration coming off the throttle...... it's worth checking your cam sensor.

My ED30 had all of that and my sensor had years of swarf stuck to it, which was corrupting/blocking the signal.   Swapped it out (£38 from the stealer) and it's fixed all of that  :happy2:   The ECU never fault coded it, so just goes to show you can't always rely on VCDS for fault finding.   

Thanks that's good to know. Was it easy to get to? My wife's Beetle needs this changing but you have to to take the cambelt off to get to it, So we'll live with it until its belt change time.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10681 on: August 14, 2017, 12:23:04 pm »
If you guys get any strange hesitancy, rough idle, sluggishness until boost kicked in, jolting when coming off the throttle, surging in the lower gears, unexplained acceleration coming off the throttle...... it's worth checking your cam sensor.

My ED30 had all of that and my sensor had years of swarf stuck to it, which was corrupting/blocking the signal.   Swapped it out (£38 from the stealer) and it's fixed all of that  :happy2:   The ECU never fault coded it, so just goes to show you can't always rely on VCDS for fault finding.   

Thanks that's good to know. Was it easy to get to? My wife's Beetle needs this changing but you have to to take the cambelt off to get to it, So we'll live with it until its belt change time.

Yeah it's on the far left of the head facing upwards once you remove the engine cover.   You might need to move a few of the fuel and carbon can pipes out of the way to get access to the (upward facing) bolt, but it's an easy and quick job!

These engines run a lot better with a working cam sensor, as you will discover when the Beetle's gets replaced  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10682 on: August 14, 2017, 02:24:10 pm »
Sold it!

Bought a MK7 GTD DSG, love it!

OUT

IN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10683 on: August 14, 2017, 02:46:28 pm »
Sold it!

OUT

IN

The MK5 looks a lot nicer, but I suspect the MK7 drives a lot better  :smiley:

Colleague at work has just bought exactly the same car, but in red.  Not my thing at all but can see why folk go for them  :happy2:

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10684 on: August 14, 2017, 03:02:02 pm »
Sold it!

OUT

IN

Colleague at work has just bought exactly the same car, but in red.  Not my thing at all but can see why folk go for them  :happy2:

I do 500 miles a week to and from work and I was spending about 100 euro a week on fuel so it was getting a bit silly. I loved the MK5 but age was starting to go against it for a number of reasons and I always seemed to be chasing something else (read - spending money :D) from the newer cars, MK6 etc.

The sensible head kicked in and with a few things falling into place including the unexpected sale of the MK5 I took the opportunity to buy the best car I could afford. It's a highline, ex-dealer demo model so has huge spec.

It drives REALLY well, more firm than I had been expecting which was a pleasant surprise and tons of toys so I'm a happy camper.  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10685 on: August 14, 2017, 03:16:16 pm »
Sold it!

OUT

IN

I do 500 miles a week to and from work and I was spending about 100 euro a week on fuel so it was getting a bit silly. I loved the MK5 but age was starting to go against it for a number of reasons and I always seemed to be chasing something else (read - spending money :D) from the newer cars, MK6 etc.

The sensible head kicked in and with a few things falling into place including the unexpected sale of the MK5 I took the opportunity to buy the best car I could afford. It's a highline, ex-dealer demo model so has huge spec.

It drives REALLY well, more firm than I had been expecting which was a pleasant surprise and tons of toys so I'm a happy camper.  :happy2:

500 miles a week does put a different stance on things I guess!  I do 100 miles a week for work, so my ED30 is a combined toy & transport.  If it breaks, getting home again isn't a big ordeal  :smiley:

Glad you like it!  It came out of the blue after all your work getting those wheels to fit!  It will certainly be a lot more frugal than the GTI! 

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10686 on: August 14, 2017, 03:21:38 pm »
Sold it!

OUT

IN

500 miles a week does put a different stance on things I guess!  I do 100 miles a week for work, so my ED30 is a combined toy & transport.  If it breaks, getting home again isn't a big ordeal  :smiley:

Glad you like it!  It came out of the blue after all your work getting those wheels to fit!  It will certainly be a lot more frugal than the GTI!

Thanks pudding.  :happy2:

On its best day the GTI was doing about 35mpg on my weekly commute, this is doing 52mpg. It's going to make a huge difference to my weekly expenses plus it's got probably every extra you can think of so no retrofitting ~ Bittersweet that!

willni

« Reply #10687 on: August 14, 2017, 08:51:01 pm »
Sold it!

OUT

IN

Funny this I drove my mates mk7 gti PP at the weekend, comfier, easier to drive and easier on fuel but too safe for me felt like it drove itself. My mate drove my ed 30 and he said everything's very heavy in it, but it's more responsive.

Mk7's are nice but to me it's a mk5 with a roller-cam, more tech and easier to drive. (ridiculously comfy too!)

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10688 on: August 14, 2017, 09:55:21 pm »
Sold it!

OUT

IN

Funny this I drove my mates mk7 gti PP at the weekend, comfier, easier to drive and easier on fuel but too safe for me felt like it drove itself. My mate drove my ed 30 and he said everything's very heavy in it, but it's more responsive.

Mk7's are nice but to me it's a mk5 with a roller-cam, more tech and easier to drive. (ridiculously comfy too!)

Funny that, I drove the mk7 gti when it was released and I found it terrible. Too light and gave the impression that it was steering from the rear for some reason!!

It put me off immediately.

I put it down to it having the optional 19s and maybe hadn't been tracked to compensate, it felt like it was tip toeing around the road. Very odd sensation. One of the mechanics was hanging about outside and said that the GTD had just left and it was a pity I hadn't had a chance to drive it as it was a nicer car.

I have to agree with him, I actually find it a nicer car. Nicer than that one anyway!!

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #10689 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:40 pm »
Not today, but on Saturday my 06 GTi passed its MOT for the 3rd year running, couldn't have been happier.  Hopefully this weekend get it washed and also the engine bay cleaned up.

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #10690 on: August 16, 2017, 04:06:51 pm »
Spent 7 hours valeting my Reflex silver Edition 30, 3hrs on interior, 4hrs on exterior.... #showroom condition now!!!

Id add some photos if I could work out how too lol

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #10691 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:55 pm »
@maxamplitude10 , sounds like a thorough clean.  I remember spending a similar amount of time on my mk4 anni and it looked amazing, pity the next day my shoulder was gubbed and to this day still gives me problems.  Get some pictures up if you can manage.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10692 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:33 pm »
Finally I could make the order for a rear brace from R-Tech. Had to wait +2 months for them to be in stock. Chose one in black to be more stealthy. :smiley:

willni

« Reply #10693 on: August 16, 2017, 10:32:53 pm »
Finally I could make the order for a rear brace from R-Tech. Had to wait +2 months for them to be in stock. Chose one in black to be more stealthy. :smiley:

How do these fit into the car? just drill in some holes? They do look very good

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10694 on: August 17, 2017, 11:52:15 am »
Ya....drilling and some nutserts.  Personally I would tack weld the nutserts in.  I've had one of these braces before (a Unibrace) in my MK4 and the nutserts can end up just spinning on themselves, causing a rattle/squeak noise. 

That's why I jumped on the Tyrolsport one.  No nutserts  :smiley: