Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2526933 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10695 on: August 17, 2017, 01:02:07 pm »
Finally I could make the order for a rear brace from R-Tech. Had to wait +2 months for them to be in stock. Chose one in black to be more stealthy. :smiley:

How do these fit into the car? just drill in some holes? They do look very good

Yeah, like Pudding said. :smiley:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10696 on: August 17, 2017, 01:03:01 pm »
Ya....drilling and some nutserts.  Personally I would tack weld the nutserts in.  I've had one of these braces before (a Unibrace) in my MK4 and the nutserts can end up just spinning on themselves, causing a rattle/squeak noise. 

That's why I jumped on the Tyrolsport one.  No nutserts  :smiley:

Thanks for the advice. I'll put that suggestion to my mechanic. :drinking:

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0vb8vhs2ed46mhbkbhi9haih2&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #10697 on: August 18, 2017, 08:18:48 pm »
Got the car out of the garage she has been in there since may the second. I've really missed her. Quick blast around the block. Service and a good clean next week. May have to sell her though as times are hard at the moment.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

willni

« Reply #10698 on: August 18, 2017, 09:16:36 pm »
Ya....drilling and some nutserts.  Personally I would tack weld the nutserts in.  I've had one of these braces before (a Unibrace) in my MK4 and the nutserts can end up just spinning on themselves, causing a rattle/squeak noise. 

That's why I jumped on the Tyrolsport one.  No nutserts  :smiley:

Maybe I'll just use bluetack  :P

willni

« Reply #10699 on: August 18, 2017, 09:50:10 pm »

Just a little wash and applied from rain-x to the windows, beginning to be tempted by a full exterior respray and a full paint protection film wrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #10700 on: August 19, 2017, 12:13:03 pm »
Got the car out of the garage she has been in there since may the second. I've really missed her. Quick blast around the block. Service and a good clean next week. May have to sell her though as times are hard at the moment.

Hope things pick up in the meantime so you don't have to sell your beauty. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10701 on: August 19, 2017, 06:40:26 pm »
Fitted a new VibratorTechniques dogbone mount and the TyrolSport Deadset today. 

I bought a spare subframe from ebay and fitted the mount in advance because the old one didn't look like it would ever come out again, and I was right!  Glad I bought a spare SF now.  Would have wasted half the day getting the old one out.

It's a really old one (previous owner fitted it), probably 5 or 6 years at least and falling apart.  The nut has detached from the rubber and turning on itself, so could only get the bolt hand tight instead of the specified required 100nm + 90 degs, so the torque link was loose and clonking.  It's fooked.

Must be a really old one as it doesn't have the ARB recess like the current mount does, and it isn't gold, so probably a VWR one.

Put a new torque link on as well.  Only £39 from VW.

And the deadset.  Quite possibly the most horrific job I've done on the car to date.  Really sucks doing it on stands, but I wanted to do it to learn what it's all about.  Took about 5 hours!  Would only take an hour or 2 tops on a lift.  The Tyrol bits are circled in red for those who aren't familiar with it.  Basically the 6 bolts that attach to the car body.

It really is a finely engineered kit and the precision of it is what makes it such a horrendous job on stands.  Very very easy to cross thread a bolt and everything is loaded, so lots of levering and swearing involved.  Worth it though.  All clunks gone.  The aligment didn't change much, pulls to the left very slightly but otherwise feels solid on the road  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #10702 on: August 20, 2017, 01:59:59 pm »
Fitted a new VibratorTechniques dogbone mount and the TyrolSport Deadset today. 

I bought a spare subframe from ebay and fitted the mount in advance because the old one didn't look like it would ever come out again, and I was right!  Glad I bought a spare SF now.  Would have wasted half the day getting the old one out.

It's a really old one (previous owner fitted it), probably 5 or 6 years at least and falling apart.  The nut has detached from the rubber and turning on itself, so could only get the bolt hand tight instead of the specified required 100nm + 90 degs, so the torque link was loose and clonking.  It's fooked.

Must be a really old one as it doesn't have the ARB recess like the current mount does, and it isn't gold, so probably a VWR one.

Put a new torque link on as well.  Only £39 from VW.

And the deadset.  Quite possibly the most horrific job I've done on the car to date.  Really sucks doing it on stands, but I wanted to do it to learn what it's all about.  Took about 5 hours!  Would only take an hour or 2 tops on a lift.  The Tyrol bits are circled in red for those who aren't familiar with it.  Basically the 6 bolts that attach to the car body.

It really is a finely engineered kit and the precision of it is what makes it such a horrendous job on stands.  Very very easy to cross thread a bolt and everything is loaded, so lots of levering and swearing involved.  Worth it though.  All clunks gone.  The aligment didn't change much, pulls to the left very slightly but otherwise feels solid on the road  :smiley:

I fitted my deadset kit on a ramp and was a pita so top work doing it on axle stands  :congrats:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #10703 on: August 20, 2017, 02:21:44 pm »
I had my mechanic to fit both subframes deadset kits. He told me the rear was more off centre than the front. I bought them as a precaution since the car is used on track days too.

Later I fitted the front deadset kit on my GT Sport with a friend in a pit. It's not an easy job indeed if you don't want to unbolt the subframe too much. :laugh:

Good job @Pudding! :drinking:

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #10704 on: August 21, 2017, 09:31:58 am »

Just a little wash and applied from rain-x to the windows, beginning to be tempted by a full exterior respray and a full paint protection film wrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dream about garages like this...

Rip.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #10705 on: August 21, 2017, 02:42:22 pm »
I had my mechanic to fit both subframes deadset kits. He told me the rear was more off centre than the front. I bought them as a precaution since the car is used on track days too.

Later I fitted the front deadset kit on my GT Sport with a friend in a pit. It's not an easy job indeed if you don't want to unbolt the subframe too much. :laugh:

Good job @Pudding! :drinking:

Yeah that's a good point! Normally you would do the deadest 1 bolt at a time, but I replaced the subframe, so the whole lot needed aligning again.  No wonder it it was such hard work  :grin:

Now that the tyres have scrubbed into the new alignment (steering wheel pointing the right a few degrees), the car feels so much better.  This has to be in the top 5 'essential' MK5 mods imo  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0vb8vhs2ed46mhbkbhi9haih2&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #10706 on: August 21, 2017, 06:31:01 pm »
Removed the headliner and cleaned all the old foam off.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #10707 on: August 21, 2017, 06:59:22 pm »
Removed the headliner and cleaned all the old foam off.

How hard is it to take the headliner off?
I'm looking to replace mine as it's slightly sagging near the sunglasses holder.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
« Reply #10708 on: August 21, 2017, 07:03:22 pm »
I'm looking to replace mine as it's slightly sagging near the sunglasses holder.

Not too hard actually I struggled a little with the c pillar as i have never taken these off before. Mine started to go at the sunglass holder.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10709 on: August 21, 2017, 11:28:29 pm »

Not too hard actually I struggled a little with the c pillar as i have never taken these off before. Mine started to go at the sunglass holder.
Did you follow any diy guide or just go at it?
I've taken off the c pillars before so I'm hoping to be comfortable that end. It's the front I'm not sure about...

Ps nice lathe
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:32:38 pm by MIJ_JAGGER »