Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527420 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10800 on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:53 am »
Looked at data in Group 032 and saw my LTFT off idle was +13%. So I did a smoke test into the intake and right away discovered smoke coming from the MAF in my Neuspeed P-Flo intake. Although the MAF was snug and the MAF seal was intact...it leaks. I tried doubling up the seal, adding another from a spare MAF I have but it still leaked. So I tried just an o-ring and still it leaked. So I put the MAF seal back onto the MAF and added the o-ring and finally it sealed. After one day the  LTFT dropped to 9%, so I cleared everything and will drive it another day to see if it goes even closer to 0%. It seems Neuspeed machined the MAF port in their intake a bit too deep.

Good spot.   I had exactly the same problem with my RacingLine intake.  With the MAF screws buttoned down, the seal wasn't compressed at all, so I had to get the files out and reprofile the MAF aperture.  Absolute junk, as are most aftermarket intakes.   

It's quite ironic really, how everyone thinks the OEM intake is useless and restrictive, and yet VAG can bash out mass-produced plastic boxes with perfect MAF trims and perfect sealing, but a lot of aftermarket intake makers with all their boasting of CNC machined this, billet that can't get the basic trims or sealing right  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Cadders96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10801 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:52 am »
Put my Decat downpipe on yesterday after work, took from 4:30PM till 10:15PM ish with about half hours rest max, had to modify the downpipe slightly to fit my current Non-Resonated Powervalve WRC Sport Catback. The Reducer that was on the Exhaust was stuck took up most of the time trying to take it off ended up curtting it hammering it in and wiggling it out.
Here is the downpie I bought, it is good quality and has an extended flexipipe, the car is a bit louder when idling but on boost it is alot louder and deeper tone.

VW Golf GTI Mk5 3 door
18" Monzas
Tinted Windows
Powervalve WRC Sports Cat-Back Exhaust with Decat Downpie 3" (Ebay Special)
Climair Wind Deflectors
HID Foglights
GFB DV+
Pre-Cat Delete

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #10802 on: October 12, 2017, 03:51:41 pm »
Made myself a wire diagram to retrofit the Anti theft / anti tow alarm. If anyone else what to try retrofit the diagram is in the link
https://www.scribd.com/document/361412905/Diagram-Til-Eftermontering-Af-VW-Alarm-Overv%C3%A5gning

Also made the wire harness , all ready to be installed. Just awaiting some better weather.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=s6ml0hefq2bte6g0sr8qme2e40&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10803 on: October 12, 2017, 06:01:49 pm »

That was a lot of fun.....  :driver:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #10804 on: October 12, 2017, 07:19:40 pm »

I want to say Oulton... but I know I'm wrong!

Tell us more :)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #10805 on: October 12, 2017, 08:20:50 pm »
Looked at data in Group 032 and saw my LTFT off idle was +13%. So I did a smoke test into the intake and right away discovered smoke coming from the MAF in my Neuspeed P-Flo intake. Although the MAF was snug and the MAF seal was intact...it leaks. I tried doubling up the seal, adding another from a spare MAF I have but it still leaked. So I tried just an o-ring and still it leaked. So I put the MAF seal back onto the MAF and added the o-ring and finally it sealed. After one day the  LTFT dropped to 9%, so I cleared everything and will drive it another day to see if it goes even closer to 0%. It seems Neuspeed machined the MAF port in their intake a bit too deep.

Good spot.   I had exactly the same problem with my RacingLine intake.  With the MAF screws buttoned down, the seal wasn't compressed at all, so I had to get the files out and reprofile the MAF aperture.  Absolute junk, as are most aftermarket intakes.   

It's quite ironic really, how everyone thinks the OEM intake is useless and restrictive, and yet VAG can bash out mass-produced plastic boxes with perfect MAF trims and perfect sealing, but a lot of aftermarket intake makers with all their boasting of CNC machined this, billet that can't get the basic trims or sealing right  :grin:
Exactly, I thought I'd have this one turned down one day to a more accurate depth measurement for just the oem seal alone to do its job..and I can then remove the o-ring. Was lucky to find an o-ring in my kit that perfectly fit the MAF body while not being too bulky :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:25:04 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=s6ml0hefq2bte6g0sr8qme2e40&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10806 on: October 12, 2017, 08:56:05 pm »

Cadwell. Absolutely epic track.... quite brutal on the car though.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #10807 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:12 pm »

Cadwell. Absolutely epic track.... quite brutal on the car though.
Hence why I've never put the mk5 on track! Did it highlight any 'opportunities for improvement' hardware-wise?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #10808 on: October 12, 2017, 09:02:16 pm »
A few, but none that I am prepared to do anything about. For a 'road car' it held up amazingly well. The only real concern was oil temps.

Offline TeamKHK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10809 on: October 12, 2017, 10:40:07 pm »
Attempted to adjust the torsion value on my GT TDI (BKD). Originally was out by -2.5 KW and had to settle after three attempts at -1.0 KW as I ran out of time... A lot of trial & error involved as I went too far advanced to begin with but the engine seems to generally run smoother than before with how I finished it.

Will attempt one final go tomorrow all being well if the torque wrench I've been waiting for finally turns up (had to borrow one from our works' garage but only had an hour to use it)  :sad1:

Liam.

willni

« Reply #10810 on: October 18, 2017, 07:10:55 pm »
Started the first step for my spare well mat, two photos one for the mat and then with the spare well back in to help show the better fit and what it should end up like.

This stage was done with carpet underlay so should eat up a lot of the road noise.

My layers are
1 - dynamat
2- carpet underlay (put two layers underneath the spare, one everywhere else)
3 - carpet colour match

The carpet underlay and carpet cost me £20 with some spray adhesive. The Dynamat is the most expensive bit, but I got a large roll of dodomat from for the door cards for £45

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10811 on: October 18, 2017, 08:21:38 pm »
Not much just the daily commute..left a M235i red faced when he tried it he put his foot down and got nothing but wheel spin as it was quite damp. I put my foot down the turbo kicked in had traction and off I went lol... his car did sound awesome though I'll give him that

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10812 on: October 19, 2017, 11:12:55 am »
Started the first step for my spare well mat, two photos one for the mat and then with the spare well back in to help show the better fit and what it should end up like.

This stage was done with carpet underlay so should eat up a lot of the road noise.

My layers are
1 - dynamat
3 - carpet colour match

The carpet underlay and carpet cost me £20 with some spray adhesive. The Dynamat is the most expensive bit, but I got a large roll of dodomat from for the door cards for £45

I need to do that as well at some point.  Should help reduce road noise and exhaust drone.  I can't believe how little sound deadening there is in MK5s!   Where did you get the underlay stuff from?

willni

« Reply #10813 on: October 19, 2017, 11:21:42 am »

My layers are
1 - dynamat
3 - carpet colour match

I need to do that as well at some point.  Should help reduce road noise and exhaust drone.  I can't believe how little sound deadening there is in MK5s!   Where did you get the underlay stuff from?

I highly recommend this for all I’ve done so far massive improvement, cut exhaust noise by about half. I’m doing the doors with sound deadening soon.

And just ebay from upholstery-diy123  got 4m2 and it was double what I needed so whacked the rest under the dogs bed lol

Took me about 10-30 minutes to cut to size

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10814 on: October 19, 2017, 02:42:50 pm »
Thanks mate  :happy2: