Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 815411 times)

Offline willni

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10815 on: October 10, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »
Cheers Rich! Haha - yes, I agree are they just wheels - I'm definitely more about driving the car more than polishing the car these days. I had an experience in the past with a so called 'premium' wheel refurbisher which really was quite disappointing. Made me wish I'd just had the powdercoating, which would have been better than their wet painting.
Think I will give Pristine a go with the spare Pescara I have, and see what they can do. Am very tempted to run the Detroits I have in the garage as my winter wheels & get the Pescaras sorted for next year...  :smiley:

I've sent wheels to Pristine before for a refurb, definitely do a great job and would recommend them couple of small nibs in the paint but that's from the colour I chose as it's a special painting process, and it was me being extremely fussy as they were on the back of the spokes.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 43
  • -Receive: 76
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=spig1uquvfdub3rsgirf9nskd0&/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #10816 on: October 10, 2017, 09:36:47 PM »
Cheers Rich! Haha - yes, I agree are they just wheels - I'm definitely more about driving the car more than polishing the car these days. I had an experience in the past with a so called 'premium' wheel refurbisher which really was quite disappointing. Made me wish I'd just had the powdercoating, which would have been better than their wet painting.
Think I will give Pristine a go with the spare Pescara I have, and see what they can do. Am very tempted to run the Detroits I have in the garage as my winter wheels & get the Pescaras sorted for next year...  :smiley:

I've sent wheels to Pristine before for a refurb, definitely do a great job and would recommend them couple of small nibs in the paint but that's from the colour I chose as it's a special painting process, and it was me being extremely fussy as they were on the back of the spokes.
That's great to hear - what were the wheels that they did for you? I've left mine for too long, they look ok, but the barrels have never been how I'd like them to be...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline willni

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #10817 on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:51 PM »

That's great to hear - what were the wheels that they did for you? I've left mine for too long, they look ok, but the barrels have never been how I'd like them to be...

20 inch RR wheels (an awful complex design see link) in Hyper silver (Extremely complex colour - https://www.thoughtco.com/wheel-finishes-hypersilver-3234507)

Alloy-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/222530391205?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=43837176856&rlsatarget=pla-324542661773&abcId=1128946&adtype=pla&merchantid=115030259&poi=9072497&googleloc=9045196&device=c&campaignid=857251143&crdt=0

Offline GTi-Tecnix

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10818 on: October 12, 2017, 12:23:09 AM »
I beat a Porsche in my DSG  :grin: :P

MK5 GTI DSG very underated, pulls very quick!
Slippery surface

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 87
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #10819 on: October 12, 2017, 05:30:06 AM »
Looked at data in Group 032 and saw my LTFT off idle was +13%. So I did a smoke test into the intake and right away discovered smoke coming from the MAF in my Neuspeed P-Flo intake. Although the MAF was snug and the MAF seal was intact...it leaks. I tried doubling up the seal, adding another from a spare MAF I have but it still leaked. So I tried just an o-ring and still it leaked. So I put the MAF seal back onto the MAF and added the o-ring and finally it sealed. After one day the  LTFT dropped to 9%, so I cleared everything and will drive it another day to see if it goes even closer to 0%. It seems Neuspeed machined the MAF port in their intake a bit too deep.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTwinC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's K04 HO & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO INTAKE,TURBO OUTLET & TB INLET pipes/APR hpfp/USP hi-flow lpfp/TORQBYTE PM3 lpfp driver/H&R front & rear ARB's/W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 332mm BBK/BILSTEIN B8 dampers w/H&R SS springs...ZOOM'DIS

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 240
« Reply #10820 on: October 12, 2017, 09:30:44 AM »
I beat a Porsche in my DSG  :grin: :P

MK5 GTI DSG very underated, pulls very quick!

Mine can beat a Porsche too  :wink:

Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 240
« Reply #10821 on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
Looked at data in Group 032 and saw my LTFT off idle was +13%. So I did a smoke test into the intake and right away discovered smoke coming from the MAF in my Neuspeed P-Flo intake. Although the MAF was snug and the MAF seal was intact...it leaks. I tried doubling up the seal, adding another from a spare MAF I have but it still leaked. So I tried just an o-ring and still it leaked. So I put the MAF seal back onto the MAF and added the o-ring and finally it sealed. After one day the  LTFT dropped to 9%, so I cleared everything and will drive it another day to see if it goes even closer to 0%. It seems Neuspeed machined the MAF port in their intake a bit too deep.

Good spot.   I had exactly the same problem with my RacingLine intake.  With the MAF screws buttoned down, the seal wasn't compressed at all, so I had to get the files out and reprofile the MAF aperture.  Absolute junk, as are most aftermarket intakes.   

It's quite ironic really, how everyone thinks the OEM intake is useless and restrictive, and yet VAG can bash out mass-produced plastic boxes with perfect MAF trims and perfect sealing, but a lot of aftermarket intake makers with all their boasting of CNC machined this, billet that can't get the basic trims or sealing right  :grin:
Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.

Offline Cadders96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10822 on: October 12, 2017, 09:57:52 AM »
Put my Decat downpipe on yesterday after work, took from 4:30PM till 10:15PM ish with about half hours rest max, had to modify the downpipe slightly to fit my current Non-Resonated Powervalve WRC Sport Catback. The Reducer that was on the Exhaust was stuck took up most of the time trying to take it off ended up curtting it hammering it in and wiggling it out.
Here is the downpie I bought, it is good quality and has an extended flexipipe, the car is a bit louder when idling but on boost it is alot louder and deeper tone.

VW Golf GTI Mk5 3 door
18" Monzas
Tinted Windows
Powervalve WRC Sports Cat-Back Exhaust with Decat Downpie 3" (Ebay Special)
Climair Wind Deflectors
HID Foglights
GFB DV+
Pre-Cat Delete

Offline Christiank

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=spig1uquvfdub3rsgirf9nskd0&/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #10823 on: October 12, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
Made myself a wire diagram to retrofit the Anti theft / anti tow alarm. If anyone else what to try retrofit the diagram is in the link
https://www.scribd.com/document/361412905/Diagram-Til-Eftermontering-Af-VW-Alarm-Overv%C3%A5gning

Also made the wire harness , all ready to be installed. Just awaiting some better weather.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - MK6 R MFSW - Cruise Control - Discover Media 2 - 2016 Passat Climatronic panel - 8 Sensor parking kit - TMPS - 3D cluster and much more.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 164
  • -Receive: 754
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=spig1uquvfdub3rsgirf9nskd0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10824 on: October 12, 2017, 06:01:49 PM »

That was a lot of fun.....  :driver:

Online AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 345
« Reply #10825 on: October 12, 2017, 07:19:40 PM »

I want to say Oulton... but I know I'm wrong!

Tell us more :)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 87
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #10826 on: October 12, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »

Good spot.   I had exactly the same problem with my RacingLine intake.  With the MAF screws buttoned down, the seal wasn't compressed at all, so I had to get the files out and reprofile the MAF aperture.  Absolute junk, as are most aftermarket intakes.   

It's quite ironic really, how everyone thinks the OEM intake is useless and restrictive, and yet VAG can bash out mass-produced plastic boxes with perfect MAF trims and perfect sealing, but a lot of aftermarket intake makers with all their boasting of CNC machined this, billet that can't get the basic trims or sealing right  :grin:
Exactly, I thought I'd have this one turned down one day to a more accurate depth measurement for just the oem seal alone to do its job..and I can then remove the o-ring. Was lucky to find an o-ring in my kit that perfectly fit the MAF body while not being too bulky :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:25:04 PM by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTwinC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's K04 HO & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO INTAKE,TURBO OUTLET & TB INLET pipes/APR hpfp/USP hi-flow lpfp/TORQBYTE PM3 lpfp driver/H&R front & rear ARB's/W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 332mm BBK/BILSTEIN B8 dampers w/H&R SS springs...ZOOM'DIS

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=spig1uquvfdub3rsgirf9nskd0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10827 on: October 12, 2017, 08:56:05 PM »

Cadwell. Absolutely epic track.... quite brutal on the car though.

Online AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 345
« Reply #10828 on: October 12, 2017, 08:59:12 PM »

Cadwell. Absolutely epic track.... quite brutal on the car though.
Hence why I've never put the mk5 on track! Did it highlight any 'opportunities for improvement' hardware-wise?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #10829 on: October 12, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »
A few, but none that I am prepared to do anything about. For a 'road car' it held up amazingly well. The only real concern was oil temps.