Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 847219 times)

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lpifgt639jfrcmlc5o9n7gi0t5&/topic,75444.0.html
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #10905 on: November 26, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
Ordered a new turbo and its extra's from TPS. Tempted to go down the K04 route but sadly, the price of a K04 is the same as a band for my wedding :grin: Don't think the fiancee will be too pleased!
Make the K04 your bride  :drinking:
Top answer.
I would agree there. But with the work and money spent of the golf, the misses is cheaper!

Whats the true tell sign of a knackered MAF? Just been playing with the car.
- Unplugged the MAF and the car idle, dipped and then ran normal.
- Plugged it back in and the noise levels picked up in the exhaust slightly.
- Always from start, the car seems sluggish to drive for the first 30 secs of starting up. Also the exhaust note is louder like the turbo has stalled, not acting like a silencer. Then after the 30 secs or so its quiet again for the rest of the commute. I was guessing it was the 'choke' effect.

Offline Ant b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #10906 on: November 26, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
Fitted a edition 30 splitter,just need it all colour coding now
red mk5 gti ks05 fak,ram air intake,3” downpipe,dv+,coilovers and depos projectors

Offline Octoparrot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #10907 on: December 02, 2017, 09:01:11 PM »
Fitted MFSW and got it all coded and working properly.  :grin:

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 175
  • -Receive: 435
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lpifgt639jfrcmlc5o9n7gi0t5&/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10908 on: December 05, 2017, 02:16:26 AM »
Ordered a new turbo and its extra's from TPS. Tempted to go down the K04 route but sadly, the price of a K04 is the same as a band for my wedding :grin: Don't think the fiancee will be too pleased!
Top answer.
I would agree there. But with the work and money spent of the golf, the misses is cheaper!

- Always from start, the car seems sluggish to drive for the first 30 secs of starting up. Also the exhaust note is louder like the turbo has stalled, not acting like a silencer. Then after the 30 secs or so its quiet again for the rest of the commute. I was guessing it was the 'choke' effect.
I think that's just due to the engine's cold start, where the engine runs richer to increase its temperature faster.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 88
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #10909 on: December 05, 2017, 05:09:09 AM »
Top answer.

I think that's just due to the engine's cold start, where the engine runs richer to increase its temperature faster.
I wouldn't worry much about analyzing it until it reaches operating temps. A failing MAF usually induces bucking at low rpm throttle when in gear, rough idle, and/or a low "mass air/HP" readings in your data.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's K04 HO & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/APR hpfp/TTRS lpfp/TORQBYTE PM3/H&R ARB's/W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's/H&R SS springs...ZOOM'DIS My Dragtime link-GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline probedb

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10910 on: December 05, 2017, 02:00:53 PM »
Today I mostly bought car insurance....picking my MK5 up on Saturday :) Then a 3 hour drive back to settle in to.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lpifgt639jfrcmlc5o9n7gi0t5&/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10911 on: December 05, 2017, 07:16:58 PM »
Received a big box with Bilstein B16 PSS10 inside. :jumpmove:

Offline teo_parvu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 41
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lpifgt639jfrcmlc5o9n7gi0t5&/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #10912 on: December 05, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »
And I've received a big box with AST 5300 inside.  :signLOL:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #10913 on: December 05, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »
And I've received a big box with AST 5300 inside.  :signLOL:

:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

Funny coincidence! :laugh:

Offline teo_parvu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lpifgt639jfrcmlc5o9n7gi0t5&/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #10914 on: December 05, 2017, 10:11:08 PM »
Yeah!

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 262
« Reply #10915 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
Early Christmas presents for you two then  :happy2:

AST 5300, very nice indeed! 
Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.

Offline teo_parvu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10916 on: December 07, 2017, 05:49:23 AM »
Yeah, can’t wait to get everything on the car, but I have some issues with the DSG box that I’ve bought. Seems that the mechatronnic is dead and my resources are at absolute zero now. I’ll know for sure in the next days. :/

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #10917 on: December 07, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
Yeah, can’t wait to get everything on the car, but I have some issues with the DSG box that I’ve bought. Seems that the mechatronnic is dead and my resources are at absolute zero now. I’ll know for sure in the next days. :/

Just looked at your car's spec, impressive  :happy2:

I've been considering a DSG conversion as well.  A project for the summer  :smiley:

Looking forward to your thoughts on the AST 5300. I like that you can adjust the high and low speed compression independently of rebound.  Every other maker ties them together in one adjustment.......and even then they only let you adjust the low speed compression!  Adjustable high speed is really nice for tuning out the harshness of sharp bumps & holes!  I think you will really like them.  Do you know the spring rates? 

Interesting they have converted the rear setup to a coilover strut.   I never really liked the adjustable perches you have to use on regular setups.
Black Edition 30 with manually selected cogs, a beefier clutch, some extra boost and them Whiteline thingies, otherwise standard.

Offline teo_parvu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10918 on: December 08, 2017, 06:31:05 PM »
 :happy2: Thanks man!

I believe that from now on dual clutch is the way to go. :happy2: DSG has proved reliable over the years, cand wait to get the conversion done. I've tried 2 single-mass clutches, both of them seems to have trouble with fast shifting at high rpm. it felt like forcing the car into gear, and after 2 laps the clutch was so hot that it would not go into gear over 6500 rpm.
My problem now is that Mihnea R Cotet from MRC tried to connect to the gearbox and it didn't respond. He told me that is not 100% dead we will need to try again with another DSG connector, but I'm already looking for alternatives if the mechatronic is dead.  :phew:

About AST 5300 I've read only good things, I really hope it will be an upgrade from PSS10. The front spring is 100Nm and the rear 120Nm. I really liked the high speed rebound adjust ability, I think it will make the difference over the kerbs. Also one of the deciding points was the rear coilover setup, it is always good to have the springs as close to the exterior as possible.
Can't wait to test it on the track. ;)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:48:49 PM by teo_parvu »

Offline Pudding

• Thank You
« Reply #10919 on: December 08, 2017, 10:08:33 PM »
I agree!  I don't drive mine on the track but even on the road the manual box is annoying.  The rest of the car is great so probably worth converting it to DSG rather than selling it and buying another one.  That way I get a really low mileage DSG box!  Does the DQ500 work in the MK5 platform do you know?
Good luck with yours anyway, hope you get it sorted  :happy2:

You will love the ASTs and those spring rates are good for track work  :happy2:  120nm at the back in a coilover configuration is super stiff.  You will get great turn-in with that  :smiley: