Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527932 times)

Offline Raj2212

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 75
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115142.0.html
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11070 on: April 23, 2018, 09:40:22 pm »
Passenger side done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #11071 on: April 24, 2018, 09:26:19 am »
Done some wrapping to my window controls, do I keep it like this or get new ones

Looked like alcantara at first glance
Done a good job

Offline damo24

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11072 on: April 26, 2018, 09:08:23 am »
Long overdue wheel refurb completed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline damo24

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11073 on: April 26, 2018, 09:09:30 am »
Long overdue wheel refurb completed

Offline damo24

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11074 on: April 26, 2018, 09:11:03 am »
Multi post apologies blame tapatalk

willni

« Reply #11075 on: April 28, 2018, 09:39:28 am »
The quest continues to get the facia perfect for the passat cc dials, can’t get some of the holes perfect but don’t think I’d get that unless it was made by a computer.

Offline Stig_gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #11076 on: April 28, 2018, 10:25:34 am »
Looks good, is that the same as mk7 climate want to fit one to my car.

willni

« Reply #11077 on: April 28, 2018, 12:10:40 pm »
Looks good, is that the same as mk7 climate want to fit one to my car.

Essentially the same I think the Passat CC is 2 mm narrower on the top row of buttons, but the CC dials are a much easier fit either straight fit or swap 2 wires according to ChristianK

willni

« Reply #11078 on: April 28, 2018, 09:27:58 pm »

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11079 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:31 am »
So I noticed recently that my lights have some UV damage and was starting to bug me. So after researching on here I found people had used the 3M headlight restoration kit, so a quick search on amazon and 24 hours later and £20 later I set about restoring the headlights.

BEFORE

This was the moment I thought oh crap what have i done!

All polished and sealed.

Was surprised how well they turned out, pictures don't do it justice. Had to re-sand the lights a couple of times as there was still some light scratches but to say Ive never done something like this before Im happy with the results. Was so easy to do just had to make sure I followed the instructions properly.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11080 on: April 29, 2018, 07:26:00 pm »
The headlamps look good!

Today I fitted my ARP Panel filter, ECS Subframe Spacer kit. Took off the rear arch liners and removed a build up and mud, degreased and pressure washed, that was a pain as two of the screws on each side had rounded off so they had to be dremmeled and drilled. Then unblocked the fuel filler drain tube.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11081 on: April 30, 2018, 06:23:07 pm »

Looks great, well done  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #11082 on: May 01, 2018, 12:37:30 pm »
Well, not today. But recently.
Burnt out my clutch.  :sad1: I wasn't really surprised as my car is over 100,000 miles and has been running stage 2+ for about the past 2 years.
Reversing up a steep driveway with a trailer finally killed it. :fighting: I was having to ride the clutch quite a bit as I couldn't see clearly where I was going. The next thing I knew the clutch was fully released and I wasn't moving or stalled. A big cloud of smoke came from under the hood and I decided that where I was would be good enough for loading up the trailer. (And to let the clutch cool down so I could still drive home).

So I bought a new Luk clutch kit and Dual Mass Flywheel. As if that didn't set me back enough, I decided it was the perfect time to install a limited slip differential too.  :evilgrin: So I ordered in one from MFactory. After researching all the different brands a year ago I knew this was the one I wanted.

So on to the photos of the install.............

Here's the LSD. Trust me, it's in there. Never actually took a photo of it.

I didn't have an engine support so had to make my own. Here it is in use.

This support was very useful also for installing the gearbox back into the car as it is bloody heavy. I was able to use a rachet tie down to lift it up as there was no way I was going to be able to lift it up by hand like the guy in the youtube video that I used as my guide. It was difficult enough lowering it out of the car with my trolley jack.

Got the sucker out ready for the LSD.

Opened up the gearbox and took a whole bunch of photos so that I'd be able to work out how it all went back together.

After removing the bearings from the original diff I inspected them for wear. Fortunately they were both good as I needed to reuse them and there were none available in New Zealand on the shelf and I hadn't ordered any from overseas.

Next step was removing the ring gear from the original diff to swap it onto the new LSD. On my youtube guide video they attack the rivets with a drill, cold chisel, air powered chisel and it still takes them 3 hours! I stuck mine it the lathe and machined off the heads, then set it on the bench sitting the ring gear on an old bearing shell and punched the rivets out. Took 20 minutes total!  :jumpmove:

From here I didn't follow the video. They say to remove all the shims from behind the outer bearing shell, then re-install the bearing shell along with the LSD with the bearings on it into the gearbox housing and do up some bolts. Then you are supposed to push the LSD all the way up and down to measure the end float in order to determine what thickness shims to use to achieve the desired amount of preload.
I just measured the diference in heights between my original diff and the LSD.

My LSD was 0.06mm shorter so I added a 3 thou shim (0.0762mm) that I cut out of some shim material that I had.

From there it was as they, installation is the reverse of removal. Putting in the new clutch and DMF was fairly straight forward. I should have taken a few more photos of where the different bolts go that mount the gearbox to the engine as I was scratching my head for a while there.  :thinking:

I put in new gearbox oil after everything was in place and took it for a test drive. All good, sweet.
I need to replace my gearbox oil again soon (probably this weekend). And another wheel alignment probably wouldn't go amiss after dropping the front wishbones, although it all feels fine so far.

Haven't had a decent opportunity to try out the LSD as such yet but hoping it will all be worth it.  :driver:

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11083 on: May 01, 2018, 09:26:35 pm »
Very nice work @The Red Warrior! When you have the chance, just floor it when exiting a tight corner. You'll see when the LSD comes to play and where it improves the way the car can put the power down. :happy2:

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11084 on: May 01, 2018, 09:29:55 pm »
MOT today, AKA the annual empty my bank account day. £650 worth of essential works needed, already spent over £300 less than a month ago on a few other jobs.

The adventures in my MK5 Money Pit continue...

:sad1: