Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527111 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11130 on: May 13, 2018, 11:46:41 pm »

Essential work for an MOT. Like what?
 :sad1:

1 x CV joint and boot replaced, 2 x front drop links, replaced broken headlight levelling device and also fixed an insecure headlight = £652

The headaches continued this week as one of my rear doors stopped locking. It sounded like it was still attempting to lock so I thought it must be the locking mechanism. I'd read on here how easy of a job it was but nothing could be further from the truth in my opinion. Had a nightmare getting the door handle off and also the cover for the mechanism. Also the two bolts holding the mechanism itself in place had stripped threads.

Finally managed to swap the mechanism out with a new one only to find the problem still remained!  :sad1:

Put it all back together after about 5 attempts but have managed to break the plastic bits which hold part of the door handle in place  :doh:

So back to the garage for the third time in about 6 weeks fml

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11131 on: May 14, 2018, 11:38:23 am »
I'll try again with thumsnap...

Went in for the recalled recall today! Asked them not to wash it as I'd washed and waxed yesterday.  They still did it.  I was irrationally cross that someone had washed my car!!

Has anyone else had their abs unit recall, recalled??

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11132 on: May 14, 2018, 11:53:52 am »

Went in for the recalled recall today! Asked them not to wash it as I'd washed and waxed yesterday.  They still did it.  I was irrationally cross that someone had washed my car!!

I had the recall for my diesel GT Sport. They did the update in about 30 minutes with no issues. Since then a friend recoded my ABS pump to work with the mk6 Golf R profile, since I have the R32 front brakes fitted.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11133 on: May 14, 2018, 12:03:05 pm »

cannot get pictures to work!

Ahh right.  Yeah, I got the letter from VW and it went it to the dealer, and had to have a new unit fitted as the old one wouldn't accept the software update.  A few week later I got a call from this dealer saying they have been asked to do further software updates.  All sorted now though.  Just thought it was odd to recall a recall.

I had the recall for my diesel GT Sport. They did the update in about 30 minutes with no issues. Since then a friend recoded my ABS pump to work with the mk6 Golf R profile, since I have the R32 front brakes fitted.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11134 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:13 pm »
Finally got some pics of the cruise last weekend;

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11135 on: May 14, 2018, 06:27:45 pm »
OK...I will ask...do those pads actually meet the inner diameter of the disc surface? Because it appears there's quite a gap from the inner diameter of the disc surface and the inner edge of the pads. Quite possibly just the pic angle interfering I suppose.

It must just be the picture as my 340mm setup has good pad coverage:

Yes, it was my brief look at the pic and I perceived the little hump on the center span of the carrier to be a hole which appeared to enlarge the gap between pad and disc edges.  :doh:
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11136 on: May 15, 2018, 04:48:23 pm »
All this talk of brakes prompted me to stick them on during a bored moment.  R/PP/S3 calipers with Clubsport S discs.

Very easy to fit and there is no apparent penalty from the increased weight, it drives exactly the same as the stock brakes.  The pedal is pretty crap though.  I'm hoping that is just down to bedding in but I will take it to VW for a full brake and clutch flush anyway, just to be sure.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #11137 on: May 15, 2018, 05:06:58 pm »
All this talk of brakes prompted me to stick them on during a bored moment.  R/PP/S3 calipers with Clubsport S discs.

Very easy to fit and there is no apparent penalty from the increased weight, it drives exactly the same as the stock brakes.  The pedal is pretty crap though.  I'm hoping that is just down to bedding in but I will take it to VW for a full brake and clutch flush anyway, just to be sure.

Delicious

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11138 on: May 16, 2018, 07:55:44 pm »

Delicious

All OEM goodness  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #11139 on: May 18, 2018, 09:31:58 am »
Cambelt, water-pump and thermostat for £303... Alright I suppose.

They also diagnosed why it sounds like a goddamned diesel. Turns out it's something much very expensive to fix. £854.86 with labour and VAT

A timing chain tensioner and adjuster. Woo
Part Number: 06F 198 088 D

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11140 on: May 19, 2018, 07:21:45 pm »
It required its third battery today. Listened to the radio while parked for 45 minutes, actually started it after 30 minutes to make sure it was OK, and then it wouldn't start fifteen minutes later. Likely would've lasted a bit longer once jumped but lacked trust in it. First two batteries lasted 11yr and 6mon.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11141 on: May 19, 2018, 08:18:49 pm »
It required its third battery today. Listened to the radio while parked for 45 minutes, actually started it after 30 minutes to make sure it was OK, and then it wouldn't start fifteen minutes later. Likely would've lasted a bit longer once jumped but lacked trust in it. First two batteries lasted 11yr and 6mon.
That's good battery life. Hope your new one last as much. :happy2:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11142 on: May 21, 2018, 04:21:55 am »

That's good battery life. Hope your new one last as much. :happy2:
Yeah, about as good as it gets. 6.5 years on the original and 5 years on a dry cell Optima. Went back to an OEM battery from the dealership on this third one.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #11143 on: May 21, 2018, 01:41:44 pm »
Been working through the engine, refreshing a lot of tired sensors........but last week I changed the MAP sensor being one of the last original sensors on the 2005 car.........no error reported, apart from lowish mpg for town driving and a continuously sooty exhaust that I have to clean every week.

Well a week on and there is more fuel left in the tank, doing the same daily trips (I used to just survive a week on half a tank) and the exhaust tips are very clean still amazingly.

Will keep monitoring, but impressed so far. The engine must have been running rich and the MAP sensor was stating high pressure in the system when it was not on boost.

Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #11144 on: May 21, 2018, 03:38:58 pm »
Finally finished stitching work on ONE of the seats

Next up drivers seat, need to find a replacement seat whilst mines off