Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2526885 times)

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11205 on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:01 pm »
Replaced both O rings, driver and passenger side, on the intercooler pipes. Drivers side had loaaaads of oil all around it and a large splodge on the under engine tray. Obviously been leaking for some time.

Thought I potentially had a boost leak as it did feel a bit laggy and I could hear a fairly noticeable hiss on WOT.

Hiss is slightly still there but much reduced in volume (is this normal turbo noise, or should it be totally silent and I have another leak somewhere?).

So much more responsive and boost feels like it comes in much earlier.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11206 on: June 13, 2018, 07:15:37 am »

No, car is standard. I’ll look into it, as I’ve heard it bandied around on here but no idea what it is.
Install;

VW Polo Demo;

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11207 on: June 13, 2018, 07:17:08 am »
Replaced both O rings, driver and passenger side, on the intercooler pipes. Drivers side had loaaaads of oil all around it and a large splodge on the under engine tray. Obviously been leaking for some time.

Thought I potentially had a boost leak as it did feel a bit laggy and I could hear a fairly noticeable hiss on WOT.

Hiss is slightly still there but much reduced in volume (is this normal turbo noise, or should it be totally silent and I have another leak somewhere?).

Should be no hiss sound...spool sound=good! Was the groove cleaned well before the new seal was inserted? May want to have another look at it just to ensure that all went well with the reconnecting. Did you only replace the hose to fmic seals...or did you also do the hose to inlet and outlet pipes to and from the fmic? There are five seals...three on the turbo to fmic inlet hoses and two on the fmic to throttle body pipe hoses.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:31:36 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11208 on: June 13, 2018, 08:31:16 am »

Should be no hiss sound...spool sound=good! Was the groove cleaned well before the new seal was inserted? May want to have another look at it just to ensure that all went well with the reconnecting. Did you only replace the hose to fmic seals...or did you also do the hose to inlet and outlet pipes to and from the fmic? There are five seals...three on the turbo to fmic inlet hoses and two on the fmic to throttle body pipe hoses.

I’m not sure if it’s hiss or spoil sound... maybe a very slight hiss, much better than it was. There is probably a small leak somewhere still, but it’s much improved now.

I literally only replaced the two seals (driver and passenger side) that connect directly to the FMIC, the two in the front bumper. All was cleaned as well as possible. The other seals looked very dry, so assumed no issues but might be worth doing in time.

I have my reservations on the plastic MAP sensor pipe too, I’m sure this is splitting open on the joints, but hard to tell. Might just be the way it’s constructed.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:22:35 am by Chesto18 »

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11209 on: June 13, 2018, 09:32:56 am »

Where the leak was
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:35:49 am by Chesto18 »

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11210 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:38 am »

Pipe with MAP in. See circled area which looks as if the two parts of the pipe are coming apart... is this normal?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11211 on: June 13, 2018, 07:02:46 pm »
Only way to really tell if it leaks would be a pressure test or smoke test. You could remove it and test just that pipe or do the whole system. Those sealed plastic bits can look oddly made, but if they seal...yay.

You may be surprised how many leaks you find if you were to test the complete system.

I had smoke coming from the MAF sensor seal...IAT sensor o-ring..."not" the MAP sensor o-ring  :phew:...and still have a leak down near the turbo I could not verify but I believe it is from the exhaust mani or at the evap to turbo inlet connection. Looked at it from above and below and could not see exactly where the smoke was coming from. What I've fixed so far has dropped my LTFT from +15% to +6%.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11212 on: June 13, 2018, 07:05:33 pm »
Do you have vag-com vcds? Or other way to monitor data? Checking your LTFT would tell if were leaking. Boost data would as well.

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #11213 on: June 13, 2018, 07:23:29 pm »
Air con recharge for me today
Edition 30 num 859

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #11214 on: June 13, 2018, 07:28:02 pm »

How much better is it, and what rough cost / any recommendations?

willni

« Reply #11215 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:25 pm »

How much better is it, and what rough cost / any recommendations?

I got mine redone it was blowing hot air when on full cold and mine cost £40, but that's a friendly rates, expect £60-£80 I'd imagine. Depends how depleted yours is really

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11216 on: June 14, 2018, 06:14:43 am »
I just laughed at myself....I turn the AC on periodically just to cycle the refrigerant and to see if it blows cold air still. I never use the AC.....but sometimes the wife is in the car and doesn't want her hair blowing around....and then I always think of this one....

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11217 on: June 14, 2018, 06:30:22 am »
new gearbox mount with new bolts and powerflex poly inserts.

Also replaced the dogbone and an a bullet 034 motorsport insert for the rear engine mount.

car feels more solid. Will be doing the right side mount soon.

Offline akispap

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11218 on: June 14, 2018, 10:49:24 am »
Finally polished my headlights. They look fresh now!!

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #11219 on: June 14, 2018, 11:45:27 am »
£30-40 for an air con re charge any more and they are having your pants down.

2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control