Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2526805 times)

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11295 on: August 17, 2018, 10:10:56 pm »
fitted a pedal box +. It took a minute to install and set up.

Took it for a drive and I'm pleased with it, gets rid of that bit of dead time before acceleration.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #11296 on: August 20, 2018, 10:49:51 pm »
Skyline mod with quad indicators

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #11297 on: August 22, 2018, 05:46:37 am »
Skyline mod with quad indicators

Any DIY to share, or did you buy some already modded from someone else?

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11298 on: August 22, 2018, 10:56:02 am »
Not really, have a few pics

Though the led rings I bought came with a how-to and was pre made to fit the lights perfectly

I’ve done it on my standard lights too a while back so was familiar with it. Valeos do require drilling and sanding though

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #11299 on: August 23, 2018, 08:54:58 am »

Though the led rings I bought came with a how-to and was pre made to fit the lights perfectly

I’ve done it on my standard lights too a while back so was familiar with it. Valeos do require drilling and sanding though

Hmm, I like the sound of that. Any links you can provide to what you bought? I too would try it on some spare lights first.

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11300 on: August 23, 2018, 10:37:36 am »

Hmm, I like the sound of that. Any links you can provide to what you bought? I too would try it on some spare lights first.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182634228540

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11301 on: August 29, 2018, 12:42:17 pm »
It's that time again.   VW now want £500 for this job, so I'm doing it myself this time!!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11302 on: August 29, 2018, 12:53:03 pm »
It's that time again.   VW now want £500 for this job, so I'm doing it myself this time!!

Good luck. did mine recently. It's not too bad. The worse bits I found were getting the engine mount back in, and the covers back on. To get the mount back in I found I had to put the jack right on the back to of the sump and get the engine up as high and as forward as you can.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11303 on: August 29, 2018, 01:10:58 pm »

Good luck. did mine recently. It's not too bad. The worse bits I found were getting the engine mount back in, and the covers back on. To get the mount back in I found I had to put the jack right on the back to of the sump and get the engine up as high and as forward as you can.

Cheers for the tips mate.  You mean the engine mount bracket?   I've read the official workshop procedure is to detach the inboard CVs to get enough height, but I've not heard of anyone doing that in DIY land!

Having done R32 chains a couple of times, I'm thinking this will be easy compared to that  :grin:

4 years ago I paid £349 at VW (inc water pump) when they had an Indy busting promotion on.   Given the parts with discount come to around £200 (inc stretch bolts), they literally were making a loss at that price.  I really can't justify £500 this time.  Dealers still barely break even on that, but it's still a stupid price to replace a rubber belt  :stupid:

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11304 on: August 29, 2018, 08:27:42 pm »

Cheers for the tips mate.  You mean the engine mount bracket?   I've read the official workshop procedure is to detach the inboard CVs to get enough height, but I've not heard of anyone doing that in DIY land!

Having done R32 chains a couple of times, I'm thinking this will be easy compared to that  :grin:

4 years ago I paid £349 at VW (inc water pump) when they had an Indy busting promotion on.   Given the parts with discount come to around £200 (inc stretch bolts), they literally were making a loss at that price.  I really can't justify £500 this time.  Dealers still barely break even on that, but it's still a stupid price to replace a rubber belt  :stupid:

Yeh its the big bit of Ali the bolts into the block. It's tight and you have to play about with it but it will go, its tight against the AC pipes. I don't know as I didn't try it, but it might be possible to do buy unbolting it and leaving it roughly in situ. Just depends if you able to work around it to get at all the other bits. Other than that yup its pretty easy, I recon I could do it start to finish in less than 3 hours now.

Disconnecting and getting the expansion tank out the way helps as well.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline Molesy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11305 on: August 30, 2018, 01:50:31 pm »
Not today but yesterday, Full service plus, 1 rear caliper changed (had one at home for a while as I knew it needed doing). Brake fuild change and rev G DV installed - The guys at my garage also gave my headlight the treatment to get them back to clear from cloudy for free - top guys!

Molesy  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11306 on: August 30, 2018, 04:11:49 pm »

Yeh its the big bit of Ali the bolts into the block. It's tight and you have to play about with it but it will go, its tight against the AC pipes. I don't know as I didn't try it, but it might be possible to do buy unbolting it and leaving it roughly in situ. Just depends if you able to work around it to get at all the other bits. Other than that yup its pretty easy, I recon I could do it start to finish in less than 3 hours now.

Disconnecting and getting the expansion tank out the way helps as well.

Thanks mate.  Will report back.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #11307 on: September 02, 2018, 10:01:10 am »
@Pudding would be great if you could put a parts list up for those bits :)
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11308 on: September 03, 2018, 08:48:44 am »
@Pudding would be great if you could put a parts list up for those bits :)

06F198119A - Repair kit (belt, idler pullies, tensioner etc)
06F121011 - Water pump with O ring
91143901 - qty 6 - Crank pulley bolts
90945002 - qty 3 - Bolt
90628303 - qty 2 - Bolt
90597005 - qty 1 - Bolt
91029602 - qty 1 - Bolt
90596906 - qty 1 - Bolt
10552402 - qty 2 - Bolt

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #11309 on: September 03, 2018, 06:10:25 pm »
Replaced both rear brake disc shields, I did it the easy way by cutting a section out so I could slide it on without taking the hub off. I wouldn't hesitate to do it the same way again, seems totally solid and so much easier.  :phew: