Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 1107873 times)

Offline swight

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: 2007 Golf GTi Edition 30 in Candy White
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11340 on: December 05, 2018, 11:03:01 AM »
Decided to sell at its just sat in the garage

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 215
  • -Receive: 414
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lt630qnp6dmur5qne3u4j5pcv7&/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11341 on: December 05, 2018, 03:53:25 PM »
Replaced the rear brake light. Suddenly failed after 10 years of use. New one works a treat.

Was this your high level brake light? Am having a mare with mine, was it a pain the change?

You have to break the old one to fit the new one.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11342 on: December 29, 2018, 07:44:01 PM »
Finally got to do an engine bay spruce clean before winter really sets in. Protected with 303. Yep this is still a standard Eddy with no mods  :surprised: . Also discovered the Cam chain cover was eating into the wiring loom and so provided a plastic sleeve for protection. Just shows you need to look in the engine bay *closely* every now and then.

on Flickr on Flickr
Standard 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, new Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack. The car is work in progress fixing the usual list of items.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11343 on: December 29, 2018, 09:17:30 PM »
Not 'today', but over the past few weeks:

- Highline clocks
- RNS510
- MFSW
- Cruise Control
- AutoPolar Bluetooth (Allows me to emulate bluetooth menu on the red FIS clocks)
- Bluetooth Module
- LED interior light kit

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #11344 on: December 31, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
Today:

Finish refurb of fog lamps and put in new LEDs (need to source another one as I've damaged the reflector finish on one!)
Ordered new lower grill as old one was broken (only discovered during clean)
Changing trim above glovebox finally - old one has a small indentation
Changing rear boot handle - keeping it stock but old one has a crack in it
Change puddle lights for LED
Change Passenger window switch (slight pin prick damage when putting in new passenger window)
Another coat of wax
4 new locking wheel nut covers ordered

Booked in for next week to replace the tinting on the front windows

For fans of Maqiurs Ultimate they have a gift pack on offer at £36 which also includes another couple of pads, paint restorer and polish. Against the £30 for the wax alone it seems a bargain.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #11345 on: January 01, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
I went to take my headlamps out to polish up. Then spotted where my AC leak was coming from, once the front was off its very clear! I Picked up a new condenser from EuroCarParts for £95, Its a Denso one and the original is Denso too, so that's good.

Did a few other odd jobs while I was in there, I painted the inner bumper which you can just about see in the wheel arch, the paint was starting to peel. I then Found a cable that should have been connected to my alternator unplugged, so put that back in.

Started work on polishing the headlamps, another one still to do

Back to work tomorrow so won't get everything back together until the weekend. Considered sticking the 6r/s3 intercooler in while it's apart, but can't see any for sale. If anyone knows of any let me know.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:41:56 PM by neilw »
Edition30 #0002
Powervalve TBE | Eibach Sportline Springs | DV+ | Revo Intake
Coming soon Bilstine B8's | S3 Brakes | Alloy Hubs & Arms | W-ALK

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 215
  • -Receive: 414
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=lt630qnp6dmur5qne3u4j5pcv7&/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11346 on: January 04, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »
Just ordered 4x Yokohama Neova AD08R 225/40R18 tyres to replace my worn Federal 595 RS-R. They cost 50% more than the Federal do, so I hope they're better on track. :driver:

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11347 on: January 04, 2019, 03:18:34 PM »
Just fitted these delightful very cool updates to my wing mirror indicators. Thanks to @v4rley for fantastic service and excellent quality kit.  :happy2: Just cleaned up the insides with a quick wash and clean so looks like new inside now as well. My OCD cleaning kicking in of course  :innocent: I think they go really well with a diamond black car.

https://streamable.com/2ocul

Standard 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, new Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack. The car is work in progress fixing the usual list of items.

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
« Reply #11348 on: January 04, 2019, 06:33:24 PM »
Oil service 128k miles.
Gfb dv+ installed. Rev D removed.
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11349 on: January 07, 2019, 02:18:23 PM »
Just fitted these delightful very cool updates to my wing mirror indicators. Thanks to @v4rley for fantastic service and excellent quality kit.  :happy2: Just cleaned up the insides with a quick wash and clean so looks like new inside now as well. My OCD cleaning kicking in of course  :innocent: I think they go really well with a diamond black car.

https://streamable.com/2ocul

Nice. How was the install ?

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11350 on: January 09, 2019, 12:41:57 AM »
Nice. How was the install ?

Very straightforward, I took ages over doing it and used a pry tool. I spent some time cleaning 11 years of dust and 2 spiders from the innards. Experience tells me the plastic retaining clips can be brittle so I took far longer than I needed to, to be careful. The cold didn't help my fingers either. The only trick I can suggest is to make sure you disassemble all the unit to just the bottom part and the motor/mount.  It makes fitting the new indicator a lot easier.  There are also loads of youtubes for this and I wouldn't use a screwdriver like some do.

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11351 on: January 23, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
Had wheels and Geo done.

Was told by one that it was the best Mk5 he had ever seen and the old guy who did the work was very happy with it.

IMG_2578

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
« Reply #11352 on: January 25, 2019, 03:17:52 PM »
Well after my engine died in November after a dead oil pump caused later complications I now have a nice 50K mile engine/turbo on it. And even though the older engine was maintained, you can tell it's newer, just smoother and pulls that bit harder. Had the cambelt, water pump and various other bits done as well as clutch, flywheel etc. Happy for it to be home.

Have a set of new wheels to go on if no-one buys them, then finally get around to putting in the DAB HU I bought last year. Then it's get the rust sorted, spray the bumper plastics and polish the exhaust once it warms up :)

Offline AntzGti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #11353 on: January 26, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »
Replaced the in line thermostat, after replacing the main thermostat had no impact on engine getting to an maintaining running temps.

Finally solved and engine temp now gets up to 89c without any issues....:)

Offline bobby_fodge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11354 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:00 PM »
Fitted new maf, I'm sure it drives better now.