Make a donation

Author Topic: VW Golf GT TDi 170 PD - Piezo Injectors - IMPORTANT INFORMATION  (Read 59753 times)

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
Re: VW Golf GT TDi 170 PD - Piezo Injectors - IMPORTANT INFORMATION
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 11:14:58 pm »
daz5182

Thanks for the heads up on this safety related problem,I have the same engined soot chucker and today I rang VWCS and was indeed told to ring up my local dealer.

I called them and was told that they would plug in to their diagnostics machine to determine if my injectors are faulty or not,if not faulty I have to pay the diagnostic charge!

From the previous posts here VW should pay for the inspection regardless faulty or not?
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 11:42:25 pm »
I asked a similar question earlier today in another thread and was told the injectors have to be physically removed to check the part numbers. No information can be found using vagcom. I am yet to ring them about mine.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 11:51:03 pm »
Bit strange when they said they could determine the part numbers by the diagnostic port,I to thought it would be physicaly taking parts off to see.
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 09:34:25 am »
Just called VWCS again to ask if the diagnostic inspection is chargeable even if found not to have the faulty batch of injectors and was told it would be.

Surely Vw would know what part numbers went into their cars at the factory,is there a way to know what part numbers by diagnostic or its only by dismantling the part to be certain?

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 02:52:52 pm »
Update;

Went to the stealers this morning and was told its the faulty injectors but since there were no fault logged on the ecu they won't change them.

After a few heated words exchanged,I told the service guy I had spoken to VWCS and they insisted I contact did the inspection first and if found to be the faulty batch they will be replaced FOC.

Only that got him to ring VWCS to get authorisation.

Parts are getting ordered so waiting for the call to be told when.

:smiley:

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:11 pm »
Why is everythin a fight with these people when they know about it? I haven't rang them yet. I keep putting it off because for one I need the car and two I know its going to caused me loads of aggro.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 05:37:59 pm »
My car is running fine but the worry of it breaking down somewhere on the motorway in the pouring rain when you've got a inportant meeting to go to makes it a priority for me. :happy2:

Offline Bikerz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 07:11:33 pm »
I dont want to pay for them to remove them to see if they are faulty. Is there anyway around this?

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 07:23:41 pm »
Not really its a chance you take.

Offline Lynsey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 03:38:07 pm »
Not been on here in a while....

Unfortunately I heard about this problem too late - my car died Monday on my way to work, engine just literally cut out, no warning or anything and wouldn't restart - counting myself extremely lucky that I was only driving through town ~ 30mph, else it would've been alot more  :scared:  Car only just had 5yr service, 37k on the clock!

Got towed by the AA to dealers, left fearing the worst of a huge bill in time for xmas!  I called up VWUK upon reading about this whereby they instructed the dealer on my behalf that if an injector was found to be to blame, they are obligued to replace all of them free of charge

Thankfully injectors were the issue so getting the car back today all fixed and no bill - phew!  Even the diagnostics charge will be waivered too.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 08:39:06 am »
Lynsey,

Sorry to hear your breakdown thats the main reason I had to check mine before it happens,glad VW honoured their word to repair foc.

I'm still waiting for the call from my stealers as of when to fix a date,I heard that breakdowns will probably get priority to the parts rather than cars that are found to have the faulty "batch".
 :booty:

Offline Lynsey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 09:08:13 am »
I heard that breakdowns will probably get priority to the parts rather than cars that are found to have the faulty "batch".
 :booty:

They didn't have much choice with mine - I left them with a car that was dead and wouldn't even turn over so they had to fix it just to shift it lol!

Hope not too many others suffer from this - VW need to get their arses in gear

Got to work in one piece this morning, so happy days  :driver:

Offline daveangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 08:35:05 pm »
well my08 went in today, had its injectors removed.

The dealer called to say the part number was indeed the suspect model but because my engine code was different to the problem engine they didnt need changing.
i asked why they had bothered removing the injectors at all if the engine code thats printed on a label in the boot was not effected?
he didnt really answer (because you paid us to?) and said the diagnostics had not logged any fault so all was well

The problem is apparently mainly with the passat, virtually no golf's have the problem.
i pointed out that maybe thats because all diesel passats have the injectors where as only the 170 golf were fittted
he agreed that was a possibility

i said i wasnt happy and would call VW HQ.  if they agreed with his interpretation then fine?
they didnt agree and called the dealer who wheeled my car back in and replaced all the injectors and loom. :drinking:

apparently vw are adding a service remark to problem vehicles to draw the dealers to the potential problem.  this had only been done on my car in the hour between me call VW HQ and the dealer ringing me back, so he had been unaware  :booty: :P

what a crap dealer!! and i pay them to service my car?

so from previous posts i would urge any 08+ owners to send their cars in.  07 you may be ok
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 08:39:30 pm by daveangel »

Offline daveangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:29 am »
Just picked my car up. Vw have recalled all high pressure injector cars now. The dealers were issued with a recall code yesterday and are going to start sending letters out

Anyone who paid to remove and check may want to call Vw?

Mpg have shot up driving home
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 10:47:30 am by daveangel »

Offline Lynsey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 09:34:14 am »
so from previous posts i would urge any 08+ owners to send their cars in.  07 you may be ok

I'd say anyone with the 170 engine tbh - mine is a 56 plate, 2007 model - one of the first 170bhp models sent into the country (mine was delivered a week after their demo came in) and mine were faulty.

Glad to hear they're now recalling these now - sods law mine died beforehand  :signLOL: