Make a donation

Author Topic: "VWR 'Fast Road' Engine Mount + Powerflex Insert Bush - Review...." BY Johno  (Read 29036 times)

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
Vwr fitted mine today solid version and also did the powerflex bush too plus powerflex bushes installed on the bottom arms to aid the walk kit  :evilgrin: will add to post later  :happy2:
So, what's the situation with vibrations/cabin noise?

I wish I knew about this mod during the ARB installation as I could have had it done easily then. Hey ho...you live and you learn.

Interestingly, wheel hop on my motor is almost eliminated based on the combination of an ECS insert, Powerflex inner wishbone bushes, and WALK... 

I do however still see the engine 'rock' when revving when it's open to view....admittedly not as much as it did without all these.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
^^^^
The engine mounts aren't a major job for someone with the right gear to do, Mo - 1 hour.

Having all three engine mounts (Fast Road version) totally stops any engine rock - At least, when stationery - I haven't been able to test while driving at speed with the bonnet open!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Having all three engine mounts (Fast Road version) totally stops any engine rock - At least, when stationery - I haven't been able to test while driving at speed with the bonnet open!

now that would be funny to see.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
there are 3 main areas holding the engine in

1 : left engine mount
2 : right engine mount
3 : lower gearbox mount

For the sake of clarity, you might like to re-edit the above - sommat along the lines of:

The engine and transmission are supported by three specific mounts (orientation when viewed from drivers seat and car in normal forward direction of travel):
  • Right engine mount.  OEM consists of a voided single-part rubber bush with an additional NVH viscous damper.
  • Left transmission mount.  OEM consists of a voided two-part rubber bush.
  • Lower rear centre engine mount.  OEM consists of a voided single-part rubber bush (actually two separate circular parts; upper and lower)

These rubber inserts with voids (spaces) are highly compliant, to provide a highly insulated solution making the GTI so quiet - but they also allow for a great deal of engine-transmission movement.

Of the above, the latter lower centre mount connects to the engine via an intermediate bar, aka the 'dogbone', which also contains a 'bush'.

:happy2:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
I asked Awesome to keep the old mounts and ECS insert :

1 : lower engine mount (which is in 2 halves) , looked just fine. could be moved by hand!
2 : central 'bush' in the dogbone 'bar , definitely not right! the bush was heavily biased to one side (the loaded direction) rather than central from factory. I could also move this by hand and when I did I could see a split in the rubber!

That could simply be down to a factory production error.  The right (engine) and left (tranny) mounts have elongated bolt holes - the rear lower bolts need correctly tightening first, then the right and left mounts should be 'adjusted' and then tightened.  If this isn't correctly carried out, it can place all three mounts under undue stress bias, and the smallest mount in the dogbone is the weakest link in this respect.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
done  :happy2: thanks TT
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
Had the VWR Fast Road Engine Mount installed for about 2 months now... loving it!  Makes the  delivery of power a lot more progressive and smoother...

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
added update Nov 2010 with link to new THS mounts review.

This is still a great product that hasnt let me down  :happy2: , I just recommend that the enthusiastic driver gets all 3 mounts replaced at the same time.
Having just the lower VWR mount is still perfectly acceptable though and makes a significant improvement
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD