Make a donation

Author Topic: Suspension thud when rear wheel drops into pot hole  (Read 1793 times)

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Suspension thud when rear wheel drops into pot hole
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:11:10 pm »
I have recently fitted mk6 bilstein b8s with scirocco pro kit springs on my Scirocco.  When either or both rear wheels drop into a pot hole I have a louder than expected thud which can sometimes be felt through the car.  Top mounts and drop links are new, all rear bushes are original, the car is a 2009 with 72k.  I was wondering if having b8 shocks with a spring with  a minimal lowering  could cause this type of issue or if this could be tired bushes under pressure from firmer springs and dampers.

Any ideas?

Brendan

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Suspension thud when rear wheel drops into pot hole
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:25:54 am »
Lowering and stiffening does introduce more noise unfortunately, especially with Bilsteins as they are quite aggressively valved dampers.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:18 am »
When I fitted b14s all round I was amazed at how much more unforgiving they are. Speed bumps needed some careful maneuvering and not just cos I had lowered the car! Hitting a small pothole can really sound and feel like I just ran into a kerb sometimes, they are quite harsh and I'd expect b8s to be similar. That being said they do soften slightly once they've bedded in and the handling improvements are sensational but its not always what you can call a smooth ride on the poor excuse we have for roads these days!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18:56 am »
Yup, that's good old Uncle Billy Bilstein for ya!   Amazing dampers for body control at high speed, and for seasonal damping consistency, but awful for ride quality.

Bilstein are also very tight with the damping adjustment.   You have to spend £3.5K to get dual adjustment (compression and rebound), which is ridiculous...and it's what you need to tame them down for UK roads.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline wrlcs

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:47:58 am »
I don't find the ride too bad but still wish I had just had new standard shock absorbers.  Those were £900 so I took the chance.  This is all after eibach coilovers that I didn't really get on with either.   Lots of lessons learned.

Brendan

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 10:42:15 am »
This is pretty much the reason I am going with B4's as replacements.  The Eddie already is a liitle taught for me and so nothing more than OEM level of damping for me  :smiley:I wanted an easy life for my suspension and a softer seat for my arse  :laugh:

Rip.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 01:44:29 pm »
This is pretty much the reason I am going with B4's as replacements.  The Eddie already is a liitle taught for me and so nothing more than OEM level of damping for me  :smiley:I wanted an easy life for my suspension and a softer seat for my arse  :laugh:

Rip.
I'd go for the Koni FSD. You can really have the best of both worlds without sacrificing much from any of them. :wink:

You can still increase ride comfort with Eibach Pro-Kit springs for 2.0 FSI engines: E10-85-014-06-22. GTI springs are harsher and Eibach only makes Sportlines springs for them, which lower more and are harsher than Pro-Kits.