Make a donation

Author Topic: ECS Dogbone Mount Insert  (Read 83936 times)

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: ECS Dogbone Mount Insert
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2009, 10:44:13 am »
^^^^
Great post, Sarah :happy2: - Very informative and helpful :smiley:
Hi
Yes that was the information I recieved from ECS , within reason , yes I can understand it
OK when fitted and being used , but only used once.....
As Joe sadi , we checked his for him , and to be fair , with this being something that we have sold many of without issues so far , it kind of rings true to me too

Sarah

do yours come with bolts ?

Offline AwesomeSarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #121 on: April 14, 2009, 12:11:51 pm »
^^^^
Hi
Yes that was the information I recieved from ECS , within reason , yes I can understand it
As Joe sadi , we checked his for him , and to be fair , with this being something that we have sold many of without issues so far , it kind of rings true to me too

Sarah

Hi
The ECS ones do yes
Sarah

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #122 on: April 14, 2009, 01:09:42 pm »
Fancy doing a GB on them
 :happy2:
^^^^
Hi

Sarah

Hi
The ECS ones do yes
Sarah

Offline AwesomeSarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #123 on: April 14, 2009, 03:48:37 pm »
Fancy doing a GB on them
^^^^
Hi

Sarah

Hi
The ECS ones do yes
Sarah
You guys drive a hard bargain.....
We could do 15% off these for say 10 or more
The other problem we have is that it is coming from America...and they can take a while to get in
So if you guys could put up wuith say a 3 week wait , yes we will do 15% off 10+
Sarah

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #124 on: April 14, 2009, 04:03:09 pm »
How about free post too :signLOL:, as that's the killer on these small items, or an all in cost of say less than £30

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #125 on: April 14, 2009, 04:17:02 pm »
Hi Guys
This is the reply that we have had from ECS

The base that holds the fingers together is a bit flimsy, but serves very little function, other than to hold everything together. The large washer that covers that piece does a fine job of supporting it when in place. The fingers don't wear like the base of the mount does, after torquing the bolt and washer down against the base, it can get kind of smashed, which will make it more likely to tear upon removal. These mounts are extremely difficult to remove, and will most likely tear when taken out as they need to be pulled, pried and otherwise yanked to get them free. For this reason we consider them a "one-time use" item. Please inform your customers to avoid removing these to inspect them as they are likely to experience the same problem. There is no real reason to remove these unless they are being replaced (which wouldn't need done for quite some time), the rubber around the insert is softer than the insert itself, so the majority of the stress in the mount is going to be absorbed by the rubber. This isn't like a control arm bushing for example, which is attached only to metal components and therefore absorbs the majority of the stress at that connection.

I apologize if this is a bit long-winded, but I wanted to make sure to be thorough in my response.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I didn't realise you'd replied here, so I wasn't ignoring you!! I haven't checked my personal emails today either, as I know you'd copied me in. So, I'll check shortly and reply to ECS too.

For everyone else's benefit, my thoughts.

I see their point now on the disc not being of any benefit other than to hold the 'fingers' and, I'll call it the 'thumb', together - that's fine. But, as nobody was aware of this, they can understand why concerns were raised when the cover was removed and it was seen to be all smashed and ripped in situ.

Obviously they called me straight away and asked me what I wanted to do about it, and luckily I had the spare, so asked them to carefully remove it to see the extent of the damage. Then see what everyone else thought of it too? Thankfully they'd had the foresight to use proper poly lube, so it popped out fairly easily, as I'm sure you must have used too to enable you to inspect and replace Joes.

Maybe ECS should provide some proper lithium based lube with the kit too? I know they say to use some "grease" in their fitting guide, but the wrong interpretation of this could be leading to their necessity to "pull, pry and yank" them out, destroying them in the process? It'd be a shame for someone to waste their money on a "one-time use" bush if, for example, they decided to upgrade the dogbone mount a little while later down the line.

My advice for people thinking of one - if you're potentially going to have to destroy it, get the cheapest one you can find and see if you get the desired/claimed effect? The only difference is compound and price, and none of them eliminate wheel hop.
Sideways yo!

Offline AwesomeSarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #126 on: April 14, 2009, 04:31:28 pm »
Hi Guys
This is the reply that we have had from ECS

The base that holds the fingers together is a bit flimsy, but serves very little function, other than to hold everything together. The large washer that covers that piece does a fine job of supporting it when in place. The fingers don't wear like the base of the mount does, after torquing the bolt and washer down against the base, it can get kind of smashed, which will make it more likely to tear upon removal. These mounts are extremely difficult to remove, and will most likely tear when taken out as they need to be pulled, pried and otherwise yanked to get them free. For this reason we consider them a "one-time use" item. Please inform your customers to avoid removing these to inspect them as they are likely to experience the same problem. There is no real reason to remove these unless they are being replaced (which wouldn't need done for quite some time), the rubber around the insert is softer than the insert itself, so the majority of the stress in the mount is going to be absorbed by the rubber. This isn't like a control arm bushing for example, which is attached only to metal components and therefore absorbs the majority of the stress at that connection.

I apologize if this is a bit long-winded, but I wanted to make sure to be thorough in my response.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I didn't realise you'd replied here, so I wasn't ignoring you!! I haven't checked my personal emails today either, as I know you'd copied me in. So, I'll check shortly and reply to ECS too.

For everyone else's benefit, my thoughts.

I see their point now on the disc not being of any benefit other than to hold the 'fingers' and, I'll call it the 'thumb', together - that's fine. But, as nobody was aware of this, they can understand why concerns were raised when the cover was removed and it was seen to be all smashed and ripped in situ.

Obviously they called me straight away and asked me what I wanted to do about it, and luckily I had the spare, so asked them to carefully remove it to see the extent of the damage. Then see what everyone else thought of it too? Thankfully they'd had the foresight to use proper poly lube, so it popped out fairly easily, as I'm sure you must have used too to enable you to inspect and replace Joes.

Maybe ECS should provide some proper lithium based lube with the kit too? I know they say to use some "grease" in their fitting guide, but the wrong interpretation of this could be leading to their necessity to "pull, pry and yank" them out, destroying them in the process? It'd be a shame for someone to waste their money on a "one-time use" bush if, for example, they decided to upgrade the dogbone mount a little while later down the line.

My advice for people thinking of one - if you're potentially going to have to destroy it, get the cheapest one you can find and see if you get the desired/claimed effect? The only difference is compound and price, and none of them eliminate wheel hop.
Hi
 :sad: must admit , I did mean to send it you , but until you replied on here , I completely forgot
But it is sent to you now
So you can see the exact reply that we had from ECS
You have my email address too , if you dont get it , nagg me
Sarah

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #127 on: April 14, 2009, 05:52:03 pm »
^^^^
Hi

Sarah

Hi
The ECS ones do yes
Sarah

Sarah,

Can you confirm that the ECS bolt is a longer bolt than the standard?  The reason I ask, is you can only physically see the "lack of protrusion" of the bolt with new bush fitted, by using a mirror and light source.  If the ECS bolt is the same length then the bolt will only enter the upper bush half for around about 50% of the upper bush thickness, this is due to the added thickness of the New bush, and the large washer.  If the upper bush is not secured correctly, then it could develope slight movement, and ultimately the upper bush/bolt could fail. 

The simple analogy, is that you are trying to bolt some material together with a bolt that is around 10mm too short.  the Standards that I have to work with within the aerospace industry, is that one full thread should be protruding beyond the nut (in this case the upper bush).  The bolt requires tightening to 100nm + 90 degrees, which is quite a lot, akin to cylinder head bolt torque.

I suspect that the ECS bolt is suppled to the same length, and supplied on the premis of the original being a stretch bolt.  I found that a 80 long M14 x 1.5 bolt was required.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:53:39 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2009, 06:32:25 pm »
Did the GB for this ever materialise?  :drool:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2009, 07:26:54 pm »
It hasn't T_T, but no reason we can get something started  :happy2:

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2009, 08:45:04 pm »
the clonking/lose noise i here when changing gear and taking foot of my pedal sometimes VW have said this product is the cause... i would put my original back but i lost it!

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2009, 08:49:29 pm »
^^^ That sounds like a dealership cop out steve TBH  :mad:

I can't see how this would cause those kind of noises  :confused:

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2009, 10:19:01 pm »
imo it sounds like its coming for the shift arm, if i change gear, lift the clutch to engadge it sounds loose.. also if im just driving and take my foot off the gas completly it makes the sound..

they said they took it off and it was fine... i need to place my old one back to test, but i have no idea where it is... need to actually look!

Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2009, 11:01:01 pm »
I would agree with Steve , Steve  :signLOL:
the only scenario I can envisage is that which tony danza has highlighted , in theory you could have stripped some threads in half of the mount, so running the bush you get a clunk, but with it removed the bolt inserts further into 'good' threads and makes it solid.

youre gonna have to try it, or go for a VWR lower mount  :happy2:
(I have a spare second hand ECS insert i removed from mine , its yours  if you want it  :happy2:)

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2009, 11:14:51 pm »
thansk john! ill look for mine, must be somewhere... i hope... and if no luck i will let you know :)