Make a donation

Author Topic: CW MK6 Golf R (Australia)  (Read 103088 times)

Offline DJM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: CW MK6 Golf R (Australia)
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 01:50:27 pm »
Loving the car. Makes me want a R so badly  :laugh:

Will check out the videos when i get home and have sound lol.  :happy2:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 06:03:48 pm »
Stunning pictures of a stunning car... Welcome mate  :drinking:

Just promise me one thing - Please don't be another Teff, I haven't got the time to follow another epic thread like that..  :scared: :signLOL:

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 03:45:55 am »
Cool cheers.. G12's are lovely wheels!!

The BBS that he's running now.. Are they genuine BBS 5x112 LMR's?? I wasn't sure that BBS actually made them..

Yep genuine BBS LMR's 5x112's. Limited editions. He paid some ridiculous price for them....close to 9K AUD I think, which works out to be roughly 6K pounds...

Loving the car. Makes me want a R so badly  :laugh:

Will check out the videos when i get home and have sound lol.  :happy2:

:happy2:

Stunning pictures of a stunning car... Welcome mate  :drinking:

Just promise me one thing - Please don't be another Teff, I haven't got the time to follow another epic thread like that..  :scared: :signLOL:

Oh dont worry I can promise you that for sure. I'm no where near as crazy as TEFF hahahaha! I just want a reliable daily with a bit of performance and aesthetics to boot...  :driver:

Offline dragperformance

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2012, 04:03:19 pm »
Recent trip to the Hunter Valley, known for its wineries. Too busy getting drunk to take photos but this one turned out okay.

And just the other day...

20,000 kms in just over 1 year (since 1st December 2010).

Photoshoot my friend Kev did for my car. Location : IKEA carpark

Mine and a friends Scirocco R, facing off

Another mate of mine who took this photo whilst doing a mini photoshoot with him and another friend.

Click here for larger size
http://daz.co/media/c154/stephen85122/2011-12-30-PhotoshootAtNorwest-06-1.jpg

Hi,

Very good mods, congratulation ;)

How you make this "Garage door mod", I want that :)
Thanks

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 01:08:31 pm »
to order the push button, go to www.carstyle4you.com

then it's just a matter of using a soldering iron to solder the 2 bits of wire from the button onto your garage remote control chip board.

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 01:47:09 pm »
Awesome car! Where did you get the coolant and oil caps? Are you from Melbourne?

PM for details

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:16 pm »
small photoshoot with a few friends. MK3 VR6. 17 years old and still going strong. The most immaculate MK3 VR6 I've ever seen..

MK5 R32 is driven by a girl, Christina. Here is the link to her feature on THE-LOWDOWN.COM

http://www.the-lowdown.com/suga/

Finally....

Will be looking at wheel + suspensions real soon. Already decided on the wheel. Just need to figure out size + offset and also the suspension too.

Offline higher1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 01:40:45 pm »
Lovely car with great mods looking forward to the suspension upgrades and your view on it
Ah-exclusive custom ultra low H&R Coilovers 110mm, ITG induction kit, 18" super RS's, USA rear bumper, USA front grille with smooth number plate surround,recaro bucket seats. now sold !

mk1 golf 1.8 20v turbo

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 04:16:08 pm »
It's been a while but car has had a few more mods done to it now :)

Car is back in the garage.

First post updated

What went on:

GIAC extreme tune
Scorpion TBE with DP ceramic coated
HPFP upgrade fuel pump
RS4 rail valve
OEM cam follower replaced
VWR engine mounts
3" intake pipe customised to work with VWR intake (3" all the way through now)
New spark plugs
30K kms service with motul 504/507 specific oil
Goodridge braided brake lines
Ferodo DS2500 brake pads
Motul brake fluid

Part 2 will be:

Forge DV
SuperPro lower control arms
KW V3 Ultra-low coilovers
New OEM rotors/slotted equivalent
CTS/EuroJet FMIC
Neuspeed discharge and charge pipes
DEFI oil pressure and EGT gauge installs
Gloss black roof
OSIR Telson spoiler painted CW
DSG tune

Next year:

WHEELS!!!! (finally)
Rolled guards
adaptec 15mm 5x114.3 pcd wheel adaptors
Possibly BBK's (but we'll see)

loaded up in boot on the way to my mechanics

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:18:09 pm by stephen8512 »

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 04:20:21 pm »
I've driven the car for about 100kms now and I must say, it's addictive! The effortless speed, the ease at which you can overtake, the noise of the TBE, I'm loving it!

I got dropped off at my mechanics (Arthur from Exoticars) yesterday morning to pick up the car and after giving me a quick run down as to the install, it seemed like a very smooth process. The only slight problem that he had run into was the Scorpion TBE and the slip joints which connect the exhaust pipes together. Fact is, they don't fit. They fit up to a point but after that, it just wouldn't slip on to connect the pipes. Plus, the supplied slip joints were thin and didn't seem very sturdy to me to begin with. Arthur told me that he had replaced those with something a bit more solid and showed what he had used instead and I was comfortable knowing that the TBE was secure using what he had used. Ideally, a flanged bolt on fitting or a V-band setup like what EuroJet uses would have been ideal but this is how Scorpion do their exhausts I guess. No big deal, but just FYI for anyone else wanting to go scorpion exhaust on their GTI/R's take note of this.

Anyway, so we talked about the install. GIAC Extreme tune loaded up fine with no issues. RS4 fuel rail valve with HPFP fuel pump installed with break in procedure completed with no issues. Cam follower also changed with a very minor wear on the follower which was good. I decided to change the follower anyway because you may as well since a new pump will be going. 3" custom intake pipe to fit my VWRacing intake done with no issues. Apparently VF engineering 3" intakes aren't being produced anymore and with the extreme tune, it needs to have a 3" intake pipe.

Ferodo Brake pads and goodridge brake lines installed but they were squealing like a bitch! They had been bed but even still they were so noisy. This was what I was afraid of regarding the brake compounds. I had wanted to also change the rotors with the whole brake setup but it wasn't to be this time around. Anyway, braking with medium/heavy braking force doesn't squeal obviously, it's only when the car is creeping or at very very low speeds and you apply the brakes that the squeal comes on. I'm wondering if change in rotors will help stop the squeal a bit but I guess it's more to do with the compound rather than the rotors. My rotors do need to be changed soon though so I may get some OEM rotors and get them slotted or go for a slotted equivalent. And if the brakes squeal gets annoying, I may look into the Carbotech 1521 pads I was wanting to get from the states. Either that or some Hawk HPS if I want to go local. I had also wanted to change the DV to the Forge DV but when I had dropped the car off at Exoticars last week, Arthur was expecting a shipment of Forge stuff to come through but I think it may have been delayed so it wasn't installed this time around. For those that want a quiet pad I dont think Ferodo DS2500 are for you as they will squeal in low speeds but the bite of the pads are excellent and coupled with the brake lines, they do bite a lot harder and stop better than OEM. It would fare well as a track day pad but the DS2500 is a pad which can also be used on the streets. I googled to see if there were any problems with squeal on the DS2500 but it seems to be a mixed bag. Some say yes there is squeal, some dont. Ferodo themselves say that it can squeal on certain vehicles and I guess the Golf R is just one of them.

We went for a quick drive around the block with Arthur at the wheel and it was a completely different beast. It pulled and just kept on going and going and going. Needless to say there was a massive smile on my face. I was actually very impressed at how quiet the scorpion TBE was when in D mode. I have the NON-RES version and it's not as loud as some people claim it to be. It sounds exactly the same as an OEM when in cabin i.e you cannot hear anything but the difference lies when you put it into S or manual mode because for those that have the Golf R, you will know that as soon as you put it in these mods, the revs jump up slightly to just over 1K rpm on idle. As soon as I did this in my car, the TBE was more pronounced in cabin compared to OEM.

I left Exoticars, said my thanks to Arthur and headed on home. Turning onto the highway I decide to give it some stick and I have to say, at wide open throttle I LOVE how it sounds! The exhaust sounds a bit different than a Miltek or equivalent as the Miltek seems to have slightly deeper noise. WIth the Scorpion, it has a more raspier tone when at WOT and it almost sounds like a VTEC. I went though some tunnels and gave it a bit and the noise just reverberated throughout the whole tunnel. I love it! its a raspy, vtec-like sound but not as high pitched. Compare a Capristo exhaust with a Kreissieg or Supersprint. Capristo is more sonorous whereas the Kreissieg/Supersprint is a little more raspy/raw. Gear change at WOT gives a nice DSG-pop sound. It's not like a farting DSG noise but rather just a little "pop" every time (only in S or manual mode obviously. In D mode, it's completely docile).
I came home and recorded a iPhone video of the exhaust. I had the bonnet open to see the engine movement. VWR engine mounts were also installed and though vibration has increased in the cabin ever so slightly, it's not spine shattering and it's definitely easy to live with on daily basis. It's probably only 5-10% more vibration than OEM. Nothing dramatic. There was definitely a lot less engine movement when under load though. I also decided to try and "bed" the brakes in again to rid the squeal. Procedure used was :

Drive to 60km/h and brake using light/medium braking force back down to 10kms/h. Do this 5 times
Drive to 80km/h and brake using heavy braking force back down to 10kms/h. Do this 4 times
Drive to 80km/h and braking using full heavy breaking force back down to 10km/h. Do this 3 times.

After this I let the car cool down a bit and left it in the garage as I was going out later that night. The tune is great. It's nicer to drive and in D mode it's still every bit as calm as you would expect. Flick your wrist down and put it in S or flick it across for manual mode however, its a completely different story. I drove around all day and all night basically yesterday and though I had a bit of a squirt every now and then, for most of the day I drove normally. Fuel consumption still reached 8.5L/100km and I've driven about 140kms from when I filled up yesterday at BP and the needle has only moved about 1/6th of the way towards E. I'm guessing that I will still be able to achieve my average of 520km/tank but with the car being amped up than what it was on before, for the first few fillups at least I doubt I'll get over 500kms on a tank as I'll be having too much fun! Haahaha! When at WOT from standstill, my boost gauge goes crazy now. It goes up to about 2.0 Bar boost in WOT from 1st but quickly drops and then eventually holds the boost steady at approximately 1.7BAR which is approximately 25psi.

Overall, I'm very happy that the car has reached this stage as the last time I accumulated parts like this, it was for my old Jetta and those that have been on here a while will know that the Jetta came to a sad end when it got written off, which subsequently meant I had to sell off all the parts I had collected. I'm glad that I actually made it this far with the Golf R and actually got to put on (almost) everything I had purchased. Hahaha. I'm looking forward to fitting the rest of the parts and seeing another transformation.

Next part regarding performance will be installation of

FMIC
Neuspeed discharge and charge pipes
KW V3 ultralows
Forge DV
OEM or slotted rotors

I'd like to say thanks to Arthur and and the team at Exoticars. Great people to deal with. I left my car there last week saturday and picked it up yesterday with no troubles at all. If anyone has dealt with Arthur they'll know that he's willing to go above and beyond and do what it takes to make you a happy and satisfied customer.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 04:34:44 pm »
^^^^
WOW!!

Stunning car and stunning photographs  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Hurdy on here also has a .:R with big mods in progress.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 08:55:18 pm »
Lovely car Stephen :happy2:

Some great mods on and in process there too. :drool:

Have you done any timing for acceleration or 1/4 mile sprints?
Golf R gone.

Offline stephen8512

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2012, 02:02:32 am »
Hi Hurdy

nO i have yet to do any testing down the strip but 0-60 i think will be 5 seconds or perhaps even sub 5's...not really sure to be honest

Great R you have there too :)

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2012, 08:40:28 am »
Cheers,

You'll definitely be less than 5 seconds using launch control. Mine was low 4's with just a map  :happy2:

A DSG stage 2 map and a HPA race controller will get you into the 3's to 60.  :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline philt90

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2012, 03:28:39 pm »
Your car is amazing and quality modifications more photos wanted  :happy2:
Cupra R Winning