Make a donation

Author Topic: Key fob won't unlock doors?  (Read 69550 times)

Offline AMc

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Key fob won't unlock doors?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2016, 10:43:58 am »
Google brought me here, even though I'm a member (insert your own joke about me being a member for not remembering :) ) - please excuse exhuming the old thread but I thought it would be best to post in here.

This morning my fob will lock the car and unlock the boot but not the car - ARGHHH!!!
Key still works in the lock so I can get back in.

Using this video I took the remote apart to check the battery but it's OK?

Then I realise the circuit board is only secured by one of the two plastic pegs that hold it down and the board can be prised up - which lets me check the unlock microswitch still clicks.
I put it back together and discover the "lock" and "boot" release buttons click but the "unlock" one doesn't click.
So the button is moving the board into the fob rather than clicking the microswitch.
I opened it up again and I've cut the end off a cotton bud (nonconductive, compressible, sterile) and placed it over the end of the board next to the damaged plastic peg.  Put it back together and checked - all the buttons click and I can see the car locking/unlocking out the window.

Seems to me that the fob has a weak spot in the design, press too hard or too often on the "unlock" button and you'll push the circuit board off the peg. 
Hopefully this 1p fix will save someone from having to buy a new fob and reprogram it if their fob is just worn.

Offline blackgolf

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 08:39:38 am »
Google brought me here, even though I'm a member (insert your own joke about me being a member for not remembering :) ) - please excuse exhuming the old thread but I thought it would be best to post in here.

This morning my fob will lock the car and unlock the boot but not the car - ARGHHH!!!
Key still works in the lock so I can get back in.

Using this video I took the remote apart to check the battery but it's OK?

Then I realise the circuit board is only secured by one of the two plastic pegs that hold it down and the board can be prised up - which lets me check the unlock microswitch still clicks.
I put it back together and discover the "lock" and "boot" release buttons click but the "unlock" one doesn't click.
So the button is moving the board into the fob rather than clicking the microswitch.
I opened it up again and I've cut the end off a cotton bud (nonconductive, compressible, sterile) and placed it over the end of the board next to the damaged plastic peg.  Put it back together and checked - all the buttons click and I can see the car locking/unlocking out the window.

Seems to me that the fob has a weak spot in the design, press too hard or too often on the "unlock" button and you'll push the circuit board off the peg. 
Hopefully this 1p fix will save someone from having to buy a new fob and reprogram it if their fob is just worn.
You absolute star. I just did this and fixed mine :-). Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lordbigsack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 04:25:38 pm »
Saw this too late, just spent £200 at the stealers for 2 new key internals :(
Standard Edition 30