Make a donation

Author Topic: ▀▄ Miglior Detailing: Audi RS4 - 55-Hours on shocking paint! PART 2 NOW UP! ▄▀  (Read 21599 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111

Please take the time to view our full website!!
Detailing In Lancashire Manchester & North West - Miglior Detailing!
If you want to see daily update and photos, please follow us! Links are below!!

Audi RS4 - 55 Hour Correction Detail

Hi Guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read another write up of mine. This time it's a huge one, 55 hours on an Audi RS4, I think there's 200 photos!! eaak!
The car was brought to me from Wakefield after the owner had seen some of my other work on another Audi RS4. I was told he had just bought the car and admitted it was quite bad, which wasn't a problem, as that's what we do!

The car was booked for a correction detail + Engine Bay Detail + Deep interior clean + Leather treatment & Protection + Full Alloy Wheel Refurb. (a big job then!)

This is how the car was dropped off…

Even from a distance its plain to see this car's paint is on a whole new level of swirled! I told the owner it would need quite a significant amount of time to bring back paint like that to life!

All kind of ugly in there, buffer trails, swirls, damage from tree sap, random deep scratches, the whole brass band!

My first thought was to do a test section to get an idea of how long it would take and how hard the paint would be. I spend about an hour on the corner of the bonnet assessing the damage and gauging how long it might take to give the owner an idea.

So after a long time measuring and treading carefully, I still had made a huge difference but there were still some deep scratches in my path!

After even more work on the original paint, I was able to safely remove these without removing too much clear.

Before

After

Phew!

So on with the job!

Wheels arches done

Getting cracking with the engine bay… I forgot to take a before shot but it was very dusty and dirty!

Getting started on the door shuts

Fuel filler cap

Time to snow foam!

Rinsed off and washed with the 2 bucket method

Now removing any tar

Claying really cleaned out the paintwork!

Now onto some serious work on the awful paint!!

Huge improvements made quite quickly, but it's these sorts of marks that are the crux of a correction detail. The paint was absolutely rock solid. Audi paint from 2004 - 2007/8 is always bulletproof and taking out marks like this without masking takes time! I was determined to completely turn around this car, so with paint thickness gauge and polishing tools in hand, along with a lot of patience, I cracked on!

Always checking the work with CarPro Eraser… I love this stuff!! Not only does it pull out oils from the finish, it helps to dissolve them too, unlike IPA, which will only redistribute oils back onto the paintwork. I think I ordered about 4 Bottles last time from Phil At Shinearama! cheers Phil!

This one half of the bonnet took me about 3 hours just to be satisfied with the finish.

Sun Gun Before

Sun Gun After

Metal Halide Lighting: Before

After

Before

After

Moving onto other areas of the car

I was carefully measuring the paint thickness all around the car and noticed quite a low spot on the Near Side Wing…

This is probably about right for some Jap stuff, but quite low for an Audi of this age in my experience so I tread carefully on this panel.

Before

Here you can see there is a deep mark, and due to the thickness I was happy with that. It still looks great and a lot better than before!

Onto the boot lid…. CRINGE!

Again, it's had some serious stick!

Onto the roof now, which is even worse than the boot lid. I know it looks kind of bad on the photos, but it looked a whole lot worse in person!

Look at those marks! Scouring pad anyone???

Once the upward facing panels were done, I got the car on the lift and took the wheels off and got them off for a refurbishment. You can see they have started to corrode and they were pretty tatty. The wheels had been subjected to some quite poor repairs too.

Back onto the correction!

The car's bodywork had also been subjected so some pretty poor repairs on the arches. The RS4 has pretty prominent arches so they can pick up stone chips pretty easily. It seems as if the arches had been blown in, but pretty poorly. So again, I was careful not to aggravate any repairs.

Some clear coat missing on one of the arches.

Rear quarter before

And after

Now moving onto the rear bumper… There was a pretty deep gouge in it. My only hope with that was to round it off and take the whiteness out of it, there's not really much substitute for paint when there is a mark that severe. It was easily detectable with a fingernail!

Bumper Before

During an Eraser Wipe down.

After

Again..

Bumper

Moving onto he other side now…

Now, a very slow shutter speed shot here with me and the sun gun, this gives a better idea of the difference made in the clarity of the paint! The hard work and steady correction really is brightening up the paintwork and improving reflections.

Thanks for reading so far! I will have the rest of the write up here soon!

MORE TO FOLLOW SOON!!!!!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:17:51 pm by JPC »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
not sure if its my laptop or there is no link Jay

Offline JPC

• Thank You
I'm having to put it up 10 photos at a time, if not the forum has a barney!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
sorry about this... the forum hates it when i upload a write up... I'm sure the forum blocks my IP for 10 mins or so when i do one!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
wow the result on the bonnet is amazing :notworthy:

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
Jay that transformation is just unbelievable, you certainly are a master of your trade :notworthy:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
thier is hope for my car yet-looking at that paint work

Offline craigy123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Amazing work as alway Jay  :happy2:

PM for details

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Wow, that was in a seriously shocking state. I thought my car was bad, but nothing like that. I wish I had the skills to do half the quality of work you do. I enjoy doing it, just no idea!!!!!!!!!

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Dude, serious skills as always  :congrats:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Wow Jay. Mega-impressed. How come the write ups aren't on your own site, like normally?

Love the turn around and can't wait to see the final shots.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
Oh my lord! That paint has had some hammer!

It looks a cracking turn around Jay!  :congrats: What combo did you end up hitting it with in the end?

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Cracking work Jay, looks like a very technical 55 hrs have been had!

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
Got there in the end then, seriously impressed as always.. :notworthy:
Cheers,

Wayne