Make a donation

Author Topic: Front wing rust warranty success!!  (Read 331780 times)

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Front wing rust warranty success!!
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2012, 08:36:18 pm »
Just been to Chelmsford VW and the chap from the bodyshop was more than helpful. He knew exactly what I was on about, didn't argue and when I mentioned the sills had no problems including them in the "good will gesture" claim. He took pictures and paint depths of wings and sills. He said he had a few on the go at the moment and doesn't mind doing them. He's processing it tomorrow and then its a 4 - 14 day wait for confirmation from VW UK and then drop it to them for the work to be carried out with a hire car if required. He also said I had gone at the right time as VW are using the neglect get out with some.

So fingers crossed

Did they mention what 'neglect' means? Is it leaving it too long before reporting it, or just having a generally scruffy looking car?
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:52 pm »
Just been to Chelmsford VW and the chap from the bodyshop was more than helpful. He knew exactly what I was on about, didn't argue and when I mentioned the sills had no problems including them in the "good will gesture" claim. He took pictures and paint depths of wings and sills. He said he had a few on the go at the moment and doesn't mind doing them. He's processing it tomorrow and then its a 4 - 14 day wait for confirmation from VW UK and then drop it to them for the work to be carried out with a hire car if required. He also said I had gone at the right time as VW are using the neglect get out with some.

So fingers crossed

Did they mention what 'neglect' means? Is it leaving it too long before reporting it, or just having a generally scruffy looking car?

Basically leaving it so you can see the rust on the outer of the wing not just bubbled paint work. My car had the paint bubbling on the outer of the arch and the underneath had just started to go. The rust on the sill you could see on the off side but not on the nearside so hoping they do the near and will investigate further when they strip it down. My car was filthy when I saw them today but it has been constantly raining. Basically as soon as you notice it go and see them

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 09:03:16 pm »

So fingers crossed

)

Basically leaving it so you can see the rust on the outer of the wing not just bubbled paint work. My car had the paint bubbling on the outer of the arch and the underneath had just started to go. The rust on the sill you could see on the off side but not on the nearside so hoping they do the near and will investigate further when they strip it down. My car was filthy when I saw them today but it has been constantly raining. Basically as soon as you notice it go and see them

Ive had mine inspected , just waiting to hear back now , its just bubbling paint just now and you have to be closer than about 3 feet to notice it at all on the drivers side , however , on the passenger side , one of the rust bubbles popped when I was drying the car and a small bit of paint flaked off , and it was like that when I got the pics taken , I just hope that doesnt go against me! (has been crudely covered with a touch up pen for now)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:05:16 pm by dmac1969 »

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 09:06:49 pm »
It shouldnt do, as you say its not noticeable unless your close and you've had one bit flake and you've gone in for the claim instead of leaving it so there's more rust than paint so it should be fine  :happy2:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 09:16:11 pm »
They took a general pic of the car , one of each wheelarch , one from underneath each wheelarch looking up and one of the milage on the dash (49600) , also took paint depths which from memory were either 100 or 110 each side (im a nosy get and was looking at the digital gauge!)

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 09:19:39 pm »
I don't know what mine were, he took it to the bodyshop whilst  had a hot chocolate in the showroom, but he knew the score and doesn't mind taking on the work so I had no reason to distrust him, just forgot to get a copy of the sheet but they had 4 mk5's in this week having "good will" work done so I'm quite confident

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 09:57:10 pm »
Cleaned my car at the weekend and discovered a load of rust under the boot badge... Am hoping VW will help me out with that - it'll look awful if it gets worse  :scared:

Offline flipmyflipper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 12:18:06 am »
Thanks to RedRobin for emailing me the VW PDF document  :happy2:

Should I just attach this to an email to my local VW dealer and see what happens? is that what everyone else has done or did you just call in and ask to speak to someone in charge of bodywork?

2005 Golf GTD - 18" Speedlines|Eibach Sportline Springs|Powerflow S/Steel Exhaust|GTI Lights, Fogs, Bumpers, Side Skirts & Grill|R32 Rear Lights

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 06:13:47 am »
Should I just attach this to an email to my local VW dealer and see what happens? is that what everyone else has done or did you just call in and ask to speak to someone in charge of bodywork?

I think if you try make a claim by email you're increasing your chances of being knocked back.

You should go into a dealer with the car. Ring in advance for a paint inspection as it can be appointment only and takes up to a few weeks. My local dealer said it'd be about 20 weeks!!
This way they can see the corrosion and you can gauge their opinion better.

If dealer one is less than helpful, try dealer two.

This is what I did and got two new wings, with little dealer history, on a 55 reg.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2012, 07:44:56 am »

I think if you try make a claim by email you're increasing your chances of being knocked back.

You should go into a dealer with the car. Ring in advance for a paint inspection as it can be appointment only and takes up to a few weeks. My local dealer said it'd be about 20 weeks!!
This way they can see the corrosion and you can gauge their opinion better.

If dealer one is less than helpful, try dealer two.

This is what I did and got two new wings, with little dealer history, on a 55 reg.

....I agree - Definitely do not submit your claim by email. Get to see the right person in person with your car at the dealership - Someone with some authority and not a salesperson! Have the printed PDF with you so that you can, if needed, further convince them that this is an officially VW recognised issue requiring attention. I think it's going to help if you already have a good relationship with a dealer who see you as a loyal and longer term customer but there's no reason why you can't try more than one dealership.

It's best to find a dealership with its own bodyshop as it's all money and work for them. I can supply you a PDF if you need - Just give me your email.

20 weeks???  :surprised: - Mine got back to me within 3 days and the job was done the following week at my convenience plus free courtesy car.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 07:49:40 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2012, 08:30:46 am »
Guys Wing rust claims should not be a problem anymore as VW have said they will sort them at no cost to the owner :happy2:

See this thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49120.0.html

Ian

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 08:35:26 am »
I went to another dealer who looked at it right away (without appointment, very good of the guy) and I had it booked in a few weeks later due to my work arrangements.

Got a few months old A1 TSI as a courtesy car for free and very happy with the way it all went.

You need to be a bit tenacious with this matter - the precedent has been set with so many examples of work  being carried out now, so the dealer must fight your corner.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 10:10:25 am »

So fingers crossed
hmm I may have to try my luck with Chelmsford if yours goes through ok! Keep us updated!

Offline Bryn

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 10:19:31 am »
I've just purchased a 2007 GTi and noticed a bit of rust on the NS sill just inside the door shut  :confused:
Do you guys think I would be able to claim on this?
RedRobin, Any chance you could wang over a copy of the VW PDF please:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:24:56 pm by Bryn »

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 10:20:34 am »
If its where the wing meet the sill then yes, just got to go and see you local dealer