Make a donation

Author Topic: Cold Starts  (Read 95669 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Cold Starts
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 02:17:44 pm »
Stealthwolf. Your are Edition 30 correct?

Yeah. why?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 02:23:56 pm »
Can you do me a favour?

Pop outside and pop the hood and see if there is a product number, or product code or a model for the battery in your GTI.

Once you have it maybe post it here wiht a picture... Im not near our GTi for a few days so cant look at ours. But then maybe TC or someone with a normal GTi can check the product number/code on theirs. Maybe take a pic and we can compare.

Im probably way off the mark but Im sure the batteries will be the same. However if we see a difference in battery product codes we will know that the batteries might be the issue.

Example. I have the recalled battery in a 2007 GTI. My code is 12
Yours is a edition 30 2007 model with a code: 13
Yet Steve's 2007 ed30 is a code: 12

You dont have starting issues but he does? Maybe its a different or weaker battery, hence the slight issue starting. What you guys think?

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 02:49:29 pm »
Will have a look today when I head off to work.

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:51 pm »
Great stuff. Im going to pop VW an email about the battery recall we had.
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 11:23:53 pm »

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2008, 09:49:06 am »
Thank you Stealthwolf. TC. Im going home today so wil check our Golf's battery.

Here is the response from VW (Read from the bottom upwards):

Good morning Michael.

This is the feedback I got from my workshop department. Let me know if there is more information that you need.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2008 10:47 AM
To: Willem Du Plooy
Subject: RE: Battery recall

Their was no battery recall campaign-it was found that the radio was the problem drawing current when veh. was off-thus

we carry out campaign 91c3 -which is a software update on the radio to rectify this current draw.-this is done to all effected models when they come in for service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 21 November 2008 09:34 AM
To: Trevor Hodges
Cc: Michael Frederick Stafford
Subject: FW: Battery recall

Hi Trevor would you please look into this for us.

From: Michael Frederick Stafford [mailto:08micsta@wbhs.org.za]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:11 PM

Thank you.

The reg plate is: *

The vehicle is a silver GTi.

Thank you very much.

Sent: Thu 20 November 2008 05:07 PM
To: Michael Frederick Stafford

Yes the reg. no. will help….thanks.

I will then have an answer for you tomorrow.

Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:05 PM

Unfortunately I wont be near the car for about a week as I am away. Could I supply you with a registration number or my details?

Sent: Thu 20 November 2008 05:03 PM
To: Michael Frederick Stafford

Hi Michael

Can you please supply me with the VIN no of the car? It will start with aavzzz……..with this no. I can assist with your request .

Regards

Willem 

Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:59 PM
Subject: Battery recall

Hello

Shortly after buying our Golf 5 GTi last year there was a battery recall done on the batteries. We were told that the wrong battery had been fitted to the vehicle and that other GTi's were also being recalled for the issue.

Could you perhaps supply some information about why the recall had to be done? What caused it etc?

I would also appreciate it if you could supply the technical specifications of the current batteries being supplied in the MK5 GTi.

The reason for my asking is an issue that has come up on a Golf GTi forum I belong to and was hoping your response with this information could clear up some of these issues.

Regards,

Michael Stafford

So not battery related but more radio related which drains the battery causing trouble starting... I replied with:

Thank you very much for your quick response. Could you tell me whether this radio issue if not solved could be the reason that some GTi's battle to start (You have to turn the key for longer then most cars) or is this trait something to expect from a golf 5 GTi? This seems to be prevelent on a madel in the Uk called the Edition 30 which has extra power and uprated internals from the factory. The problem seems more prevelent in this model. Maybe the battery is unable to cope properly with the uprated engine? Im playing devils advocate here. What do you think?

Will keep you all updated.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:12:05 pm by 08micsta »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 10:21:01 am »
Mate, firstly, do you wanna edit your post to take out your name, reg no and email addy? Not good thing to post online.

Secondly, I remember something about mk5 golfs having problems with the stereo. People would turn it off, go to bed and come back in the morning to find the stereo on and playing music. Apparently, it would think you put in a cd, try to play that cd, realise there was no cd, and switch to radio. Was this related to the above or something else?

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 01:11:07 pm »
Hello Stealth

Im from South Africa. The Gti is as common as flies around here so whats a Reg plate honestly going to do here? lol But I edited anyway. And everyone knows my name anyway. lol

That was a different issue to this. This was the CD player sapping off th battey whilst not even being on leaving the car with hardly any power to start. It was a software issue but once again. I feel there is more to this than it seems and Im certain that the battery is an issue. Im at home and will check our battery later...

Mike

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 01:34:23 pm »
Hi Micsta thankyou for looking into this starting problem for the guys.  :smiley:
I am confident it is not a battery problem. I went through the problem with TT and he made me go through how it starts in detail and he said it is just a characteristic and nothing to worry about, and it is just as common on GTI's as ED 30's so all is good.  :driver:

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 03:09:46 pm »
I must admit that tt is extremely knowledgeable and somewhat missing for a while. But how come only some gtis have this issue and not others? i probably sound like im overreacting a tad. But this has me curious and i would like to know the reason. I will check our battery later. And if its the same i will leave  it be.  But if the batteries are different with different specs i will look further into it.

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 09:27:09 pm »
Hey all,
just to let ya know, i have a 2006 'normal' GTi and suffer from same problem when
starting from cold, 'sigh of relief' thought I bought a dud!
Also my gti engine taps quite a bit, sounding more like a diesel
than a petrol, is this normal??? 

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 09:49:51 pm »
^^ The diesel sound is very normal, all the 2.0 TFSI engines I have heard are the same  :smiley:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 11:19:07 am »
Mike, you say you have not heard of any other Golfs with such problems, but is it not the case there aren't many forums for 1.4 Golf Matches etc? Obviously any problem on the GTI is likely to be highlighted due to the enthusistic following and the number of different forums that cover this model?  :wink:

Offline DJ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 11:59:50 am »
The radio??? FFS!  :surprised:

Good lad for finding that out though, would be interested to hear if this is the cause and from what date new software was applied from for newer cars.
My car is a standard GTI (non-Ed30) and have the problem with cold starts. My dad has an 06 TDI which starts first time every time.

Interestingly, I used the 12v plug in the boot last weekend for a tyre compressor and noticed that it was running slow, only when the engine was running did the pump motor run at full speed so I guess running off less than 12v when just using the battery rather than through the alternator with the engine running?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 01:31:18 pm »
The radio??? FFS!  :surprised:

Good lad for finding that out though, would be interested to hear if this is the cause and from what date new software was applied from for newer cars.
My car is a standard GTI (non-Ed30) and have the problem with cold starts. My dad has an 06 TDI which starts first time every time.

Interestingly, I used the 12v plug in the boot last weekend for a tyre compressor and noticed that it was running slow, only when the engine was running did the pump motor run at full speed so I guess running off less than 12v when just using the battery rather than through the alternator with the engine running?

DJ the starting problem is nothing to do with the battery. I am not saying yours doesn't run down when the radio is left on i am simply saying the starting delay is not caused by this. :smiley: