Make a donation

Author Topic: Cold Starts  (Read 95703 times)

Offline DJ

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Cold Starts
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 02:06:42 pm »
I didn't think that would be the problem hence my reaction.

I stand corrected. That will teach me to read all posts rather than just skipping through them.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:26:05 pm by DJ »

Offline Tarmac_Terrorist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 09:28:33 pm »
My standard 2006 GTI often stands 2-3 weeks without being started and starts almost instantly. However I do often connect it to a CTEK top up smart charger thingy if left for long periods. If some start fine and others don't then there surely has to be a reason. Are we all running on the happy juice (98/99 ron fuel)? Perhaps this makes a difference??

Offline T88OMM

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 03:02:04 pm »
My standard 2006 GTI often stands 2-3 weeks without being started and starts almost instantly. However I do often connect it to a CTEK top up smart charger thingy if left for long periods. If some start fine and others don't then there surely has to be a reason. Are we all running on the happy juice (98/99 ron fuel)? Perhaps this makes a difference??

Yeah I run mine only on Tesco 99 and it still sounds like a banger at start up  :surprised:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline cal tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
  • dub or die
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2008, 02:53:18 pm »
on a slight TDI tangent i find using shell v-power makes for a much better and quieter start
Candy weiß Mk6 GTI - Stage 2

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 09:13:17 am »
I've noticed that my 'normal' 05 GTI has this starting charectaristic.  My old 1.8T would always fire after a couple of turns but the 2.0T can be a bit unpredictable.  Sometimes a couple of turns and sometimes a couple more and at times you think its about to die again.  Glad to see its 'normal'!
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 12:02:53 pm »
So maybe just maybe the cause of this is because the Edition 30 has uprated internals and a bigger turbo. Perhaps the normal GTi Battery battles a bit with these upgrades and then of course as the car gets older it could become worse as the battery is deteriating?

Standard GTI battery is a 72Ah 380A

Standard Ed30 battery is a 70Ah 340A

So your logic is wrong!  :wink:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 12:11:09 pm »
I must admit that tt is extremely knowledgeable and somewhat missing for a while. But how come only some gtis have this issue and not others?

"User Error"!  :wink:  It has naff all to do with one GTI being iffy, and another being perfect!  :happy2:
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 12:14:52 pm »
The radio??? FFS!  :surprised:

Yup, the RNS-MFD SatNavs also had the same issues!  :rolleye:

My car is a standard GTI (non-Ed30) and have the problem with cold starts. My dad has an 06 TDI which starts first time every time.

User Error, and User OK.  :wink:

Interestingly, I used the 12v plug in the boot last weekend for a tyre compressor and noticed that it was running slow, only when the engine was running did the pump motor run at full speed so I guess running off less than 12v when just using the battery rather than through the alternator with the engine running?

Sadly, that just seems to prove that the batteries fitted to the GTI can best be descirbed as 'boarderline'.  They really need a higher capacity battery as standard.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
Re: Cold Starts - "plain english" advice
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009, 12:32:19 pm »
OK - some plain english - to-the-point advice for engine starts - for ALL engines - hot or cold - petrol or diesel.

• Do NOT touch the throttle pedal at all - don't even fart near it - untill the engine has started and running under its own steam (unless the owners manual specifically states otherwise)
  • when putting in the ignition key, turn it to the "ignition on" position, but do NOT immediately activate the starter motor.  Wait about 5 seconds, until all the usual warning lights have extinguished.  During this phase, the electronic throttle valve self calibrates (and feeds back status info to the ECU).  If you touch the throttle pedal - it just messes this up, and confuses the ECU
  • Then twist the ignition key - and HOLD it on the starter UNTIL the engine has fired and running under its own steam.  It is perfectly safe to hold the key on the starter for upto 10 continuous seconds.  If it don't start, turn the ignition fully off, turn on, and wait another 10 seconds before engaging the starter and trying again.  Still keep your Doc Martins off the throttle pedal
  • After you have released the starter motor, try to let the engine idle for at least 30 seconds, and then you can press the loud pedal to your hearts content

Further info for the GTI, and all FSI and direct injection petrol engines:

Because the high pressure fuel system in these engines is only developed from the engine-driven pump - then these engines have to be physically turned by the starter motor, to build up the pressure in the fuel rail.  This means that the GTI (and associated FSI/TSI) engines seem to take slightly longer than normal engines to start.  This is perfectly normal, and is not a problem.  Just make sure you hold the key on the starter for slightly longer than you may be used to, as described in the above bullet points.  :smiley:

If the Mods/Admins want to sticky this, or move it to a separate post, then that is fine by me.  :happy2:
------

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009, 12:38:41 pm »
I have this problem as i sometimes go up to ten days without use. and ever since you passed on this advice on the dark side i have held the key turned longer and always fires now, it just takes that fraction longer than other cars.
I wiil definitely make this a sticky, as its clear a lot of us think its a fault rather than a characteristic .  :smiley: 

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2009, 12:50:14 pm »
I have this problem as i sometimes go up to ten days without use. and ever since you passed on this advice on the dark side i have held the key turned longer and always fires now, it just takes that fraction longer than other cars.
I wiil definitely make this a sticky, as its clear a lot of us think its a fault rather than a characteristic .  :smiley: 

OK, thanks.  :happy2:

Another 'converted'  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:  :evilgrin:
------

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2009, 01:16:59 pm »
    • After you have released the starter motor, try to let the engine idle for at least 30 seconds, and then you can press the loud pedal to your hearts content

My car is parked in a garage overnight. I can wait until all the lights are out before ignition but help sitting there for 30 seconds might be a bit much. Can I bring the car out of the garage under clutch control (no gas whatsoever) or is that still a neddy-no-no?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
    « Reply #42 on: January 31, 2009, 01:28:13 pm »

My car is parked in a garage overnight. I can wait until all the lights are out before ignition but help sitting there for 30 seconds might be a bit much. Can I bring the car out of the garage under clutch control (no gas whatsoever) or is that still a neddy-no-no?

Yeah, that would be fine.  Even light pressage of the accelerator pedal would be fine.

That bit of advice is really aimed at the numpties who think it is cool to be flooring the gas whilst the engine isn't working (as in actually 'driving' the vehicle in forward or reverse motion!).  The "30 second" bit is just a general rule of thumb, because it can take that long for the engine oil to reach the camshaft!
    ------

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
    • -Given: 306
    • -Receive: 291
    • ED30 No.1412
      • Email
    « Reply #43 on: January 31, 2009, 01:40:50 pm »
    Cool beans! Thanks TT!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Shaun

• Always Involved
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 08:14:14 pm »
    This is probably not helpful at all to those who are experiencing this issue... but my '07 Edition 30 always starts instantly, sometimes having been stood for a week or more. I'm posting this response simply to highlight that this clearly doesn't affect all such vehicles and as others have said it does seem odd that there's seemingly no rhyme nor reason to it.

Sorry... no gloating intended!javascript:void(0);

Shaun
    Keep The Faith
    GTI Edition 30 No. 0687 - Candy White - 5 Door - Lux Pack 1 - Park Sensors - ITG Filter - Bluefin - ECD Insert - Cruise Control
    Previously: Mk1 Golf - Mk1 Jetta - Mk1 Polo Coupe - Mk2 Jetta - Mk3 Golf - Mk4 Passat - Mk1 Polo - Bora - Audi A4 / A6 / A8 - Mk3 Polo - Mk4 Golf