Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD 300 in 05 MK5 GTI - Any sort of AUX in solution  (Read 44795 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=s6ml0hefq2bte6g0sr8qme2e40&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: RCD 300 in 05 MK5 GTI - Any sort of AUX in solution
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 12:20:13 am »
Sorry to post in an old thread, but this is the first time I've seen the iPod/ iPhone CD Changer cable posted for use with the stock Head Units.

I have an RCD 500 in the car, seeing as the 6 CD Changer is built into the Head Unit, will this cable still work for me?

Also, how difficult is it the actually route the cable into the glovebox? Do you need to cut anything? Or just guide it through with a coat hanger as you mentioned above?

Thank you again for your help!  :smiley:

Correct... you dont need to cut anything.

Offline DamoP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 115
  • 2007 Edition 30 number 1242
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,86073.0.html
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 07:13:00 am »
Another option for a simple fit is the Volkswagen iPod adaptor for people not wanting to change their head units
MDI Armrest & Glovebox kits
MDI looms , iPod, USB & lightening Iphone 5 leads
Armrests, cloth and leather
Retro fit Armrest 6 CD changer/Ipod dock kits

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 08:07:50 am »
Great, thank you both for your help!

I'll order one of those cables shortly. Well, I would love a new Head Unit, but I've got Service and Tyres that need doing coming up! Hopefully in the future though.

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:23 pm »
my car came with an rcd300 (mp3) with a parrot 3100 hands free kit fitted.
Can i fit this as well?
Does the parot kit plug into another socket on the back of the headunit?
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 08:19:47 pm »
Richwig is your stereo a RCD300 and any chance if you get a sec you could link me to the item you bought?

I used this kit at add aux input to the rcd300 that came in my 06 GTI.

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ctvvgx004-vw-eos-golf-passat-polo-jetta-aux-interface-adaptor-p-8770.html

Connects 2 Aux Input to OEM Adapter Interface for VW Passat/Golf/Touareg/Touran/Transporter with Delphi, Blaupunkt, Delta 6 Double Din,RCD200,RCD300,RCD500 head units. This Aux Adaptor Interface is compatible with following car models:

VW Eos         (2006 onwards)
 VW Golf        (2003 onwards) MK5 
 VW Passat     (2003 onwards)
 VW Polo        (2004 onwards)
 VW Jetta       (2006 onwards)
 VW Touareg  (2002 onwards)
 VW Touran    (2002 onwards)
 VW Transporter (2002 onwards) T5
Please note: This item is NOT compatible with stereos that have the 6 CD Player built into the stereo.

I actually used a longer phono to 3.5mm cable (cheap on ebay etc) so it can reach to my iPhone suctioned to my windscreen running the tomtom app and playing music. When I do this the cable can runs between glove box door without any stress to it as cable is relatively thin and its tucked away the rest of the time.

Fitting took approx 45 mins. No need to cut anything.  The aux cable can be feed by hand across to the glove box, just make sure you remove the owners manual and you should be able to see the cabe and pull it in to the glove box.

Lots of videos showing how to remove radio on YouTube.http://youtu.be/Ea8nos5SbLw

Have clean cloths/rags to protect your gear knob etc from scratches.

I did buy plastic trim tools on eBay. I took things slowly, watching each step on my ipad before proceeding. Take it slow and don't force anything and you'll be fine. I also put sound deadening tape on the box and wires to avoid vibrations and rattles.

I plan to upgrade the head unit to RNS 510 or 310 but this aux input has worked a treat on continental holiday drives over the summer etc.

Good luck :drinking:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:32:30 pm by MrDo »

Allanmmac

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 10:25:25 am »
Hi all

New to the forum, just bought a mark v GTI with an RCD 300 unit and a 6cd changer in the armrest.  Really want to be able to play all my music, stored on an old iPhone 4, through the stereo.

Is the aux in linked to below the answer? All seems away complicated. Could have a conversation with the boys in Halfords bu don't want to get stung if there's a reasonably simple solution I'm not aware of.

Thanks.

I've recently bought an 05 mk5 GTI - I love the car but can't believe what a mare getting an aux in solution for the standard stereo is, I took it to VW as I found this on the website:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/accessories/technology/1K0998940/aux-in-socket-retro-fit?mark=golf-2004-2009&previousCategory=technology

They're telling me they can't fit that to my stereo (RCD300) as it's not compatible, they can however fit a much more expensive ipod kit (£150 fitted) i'm not interested in this, not because of the cost, but because apple are highly likely to change the ipod connection at some point and then this kit will be useless... Plus I just want to get the audio out of my iphone and through the speakers, I don't want to control it / charge it through the head unit - That stuff never works as it should and is frustrating to use.

I'd happily upgrade the stereo to a newer VW model but i've read lots about all this canbus stuff and as mine is one of the older gtis i'd imagine it has the older stuff going on back there. I can't even put a different stereo in without faffing with the fuse board, the last thing I want to do. Basically i'm looking for the absolute minimal fuss option to get a aux connection into my stereo - Can I buy an MFD2 sat nav and do a straight swap as they have an aux interface from the looks of it? Or will that require faff with the CANBUS - I know the sat nav is rubbish but I don't really care, I just want to play music through the speakers without using one of those terrible fm transmitter things! I'd settle for putting a tape deck in if they'd ever had one in the mk5. Will one of these work? Or is it pot luck?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-PASSAT-GOLF-MK5-AUX-IN-TO-MP3-IPOD-LEAD-CT29VW02-/280792847317

Any help or advice would me much appreciated,
Andy

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 08:59:04 pm »
Hi @Allanmmac you could get a iPod kit to replace the cd changer in your armrest. The MDI kit won't work with the RCD 300. The iPod kit you can use won't charge your iPod which is the most annoying thing. If you did want to use the MDI kit which does charge your iPod you will need to update your head unit and your CAN to stop the battery drain issue. Something like this should work for now:

dannydub

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 11:29:26 pm »
Hi all,

I have an RCD300 with the inbuilt 6 CD changer.

What cable or setup do I require so I can use my iPod through the standard headunit?

Thanks