Make a donation

Poll

stage 1 map ...can standard clutch take power

revo
3 (100%)
clutch
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: revo ...clutch  (Read 3654 times)

Offline cander83

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
revo ...clutch
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:44:38 pm »
in process of buying ed 30 ....looking at getting stage 1 map on it ................whats the deal with standard clutches are they up to the power increase ... heard mixed storys

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
Re: revo ...clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:42:14 pm »
It is a very grey area, from what I have read on here.

I had my REVO stage 1 done (Pirelli mechanically the same as the ED30) nearly 2 years ago.
I won't lie to you, there has been some slipping but very infrequent. In my case it seems to come and go. I don't know if it is atmospheric conditions as it seems to do it on occasional humid, cold days January - March. It will do it for a few days then works perfectly for pretty much the rest of the year.

When I first got slipping I started trawling the net for performance clutches but so glad I didn't bother. I have had 40K+ miles out of this one since it first slipped and all is fine at the moment (Apart from a flat tyre)!

2017 Audi S4

Offline SteveS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:20:55 pm »
I believe mine was fine.... And ran stage2

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:14:51 pm »
wife's Pirelli has shown a couple of signs of slipping and car has done 66k (was mapped at 10k), I suppose it boils down to what the previous owners did and how they drove it and how honest they are

wife has always used the torque rather than changing down a cog so I'm surprised its lasted that long in hers

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 02:20:41 pm »
Mine was fine stage 1, as soon as I stuck a 3"DP/200CEL and panel filter and went stage 2 it would slip in higher gears...

Budget £1100-1200 for a uprated clutch fitted, and £800-900 for a LSD while you have the box off ;)

If you intend to stay at stage 1, when it does wear out stay with a standard clutch...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 03:11:02 pm »
I am stage 3 on a standard clutch  :pomppomp: cant be long now.  :driver:

Offline alfboden

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 11:10:48 pm »
Mine was fine stage 1, as soon as I stuck a 3"DP/200CEL and panel filter and went stage 2 it would slip in higher gears...

Budget £1100-1200 for a uprated clutch fitted, and £800-900 for a LSD while you have the box off ;)

If you intend to stay at stage 1, when it does wear out stay with a standard clutch...

So if your only ever going to be on stage 1 the standard clutch is up to the task

Black 5dr Edition 30 No. 1045

Offline Syy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 10:19:03 pm »
I am in the same boat bud,

I have had my Ed30 for just over a year now, its an 08 with 33k on the clock.Whilst the remap (stage 1) power gains are extremely tempting, i have the same concerns as you..

What if the clutch cant take it? could end up costing me twice as much :(

Also what about the general drive ability of the car? does the car drive better having the remap? not in terms of raw power and torque but just normal day to day driving. At the moment there is quite a bit of turbo lag, is that reduced with the map or enhanced?

I love my car i just worried about ruining the overall driving experience.

Anybody who has made the jump have any advice?

:driver:

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 09:48:23 pm »
My thoughts...

The best way to ruin the driving experience with stage 1 on a K04 is to turn it back to "stock"!

You have to get used to the power delivery (e.g. don't floor it from a standstill) but once you do, you will kick yourself because you have covered so many miles without it.

When I bought the Pirelli it took a little bit of getting used to regards the power delivery. Think of it as getting used to a new car and how id drives. It will definitely not ruin the one you have, and you'll start thinking "This is how VW should have made it from the start".

2017 Audi S4

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 09:54:23 pm »
^^^^ well said.  :happy2:

Get the map done, enjoy your cars new characteristics and (one day) if you need a new clutch decide on OEM or uprated.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Syy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:33 pm »
Great feedback guys cheers, I've been on the fence for a while now but by the sounds of it I would be stupid not to!