Make a donation

Author Topic: History of the Forum?  (Read 115633 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Re: History of the Forum?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 11:22:22 am »
Interesting reading. :smiley:

As another member who doesnt actually own a Golf, I still find this the most friendly of all the Forums I've ever used. Everyone is welcoming and freindly, maybe I just need to buy a Golf now! :happy2:

f*ck off!  :signLOL: only joking... :drinking:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 12:44:37 pm »

a simple brief that the site had to be free of the ties from commercial sponsors and advertising. So all the initial costs where covered by us.

In my opinion one of the best things about this forum. Far too many others are crippled as they are in the pockets of big tuning companies.
+1 , i dont mind throwing in a few ££££'s once in a while to keep things running as they are. Great place to be this
place. :happy2:

+2, if chipping in every now and agian keeps the advertising away, that's fine with me.  :happy2:

One of the many good things (apart from invaluable advice and great peeps) is not being bombarded with advertising banners and those really annoying pop ups!

:drinking:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Bignod00

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
  • Ginsters are sh*tE!!
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96791.msg959667.html#msg959667
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 01:35:58 pm »
Interesting reading. :smiley:

As another member who doesnt actually own a Golf, I still find this the most friendly of all the Forums I've ever used. Everyone is welcoming and freindly, maybe I just need to buy a Golf now! :happy2:

f*ck off!  :signLOL: only joking... :drinking:
Hahaha..... :congrats: Well played Sir!! :happy2:

4WD Leon Cupra TTE420 K1, maybe slightly modded. :evilgrin:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:24:03 pm »
looking forward to the second installment  :popcornsoda:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline itismebigd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 09:20:16 am »
Yes Steve,bring on the second installment :party:,this site is a credit to its main moderators,trully awesome,and i hope it continues to run as it is free from the prejudice of the big tuners and nasty pop up no use to the forum adverts for thomas cook lmao

Good work Steve and co. :drinking:

Dougie :happy2:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 09:07:40 pm »
Part 2 - Some History & Highlights: -

June 2009 - Forum Rolling Road Day @ Superchips

A great turn out with Lots of generous numbers seen on the Maha dyno  :laugh: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3928.0.html

Dec 2008 - Mk5 Golf GTI was featured in VW Driver Magazine!

In the January edition of the VW Driver Magazine on Page 53 (Technical Forum Section) the site gets a mention. The magazine is out on the 19th Dec. Details of the article can be found here or visit the VW Driver Magazine Website http://www.volkswagendrivermag.co.uk/

Nov 2008 - 1st Mk5 Golf GTI Forum meet is held!

The first organised meet for the site was held on Saturday 29th November near (a very foggy) Stafford. Over 20 cars in attendance. Details and pictures can be found here.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »
The Superchips Rolling Road Day was an excellent meet/dyno day.

Personally speaking it must feature as one of the highlights of my forum membership purely because of the number of people there and the friendly atmosphere.  :happy2:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2012, 10:26:48 pm »
The Superchips Rolling Road Day was an excellent meet/dyno day.

Personally speaking it must feature as one of the highlights of my forum membership purely because of the number of people there and the friendly atmosphere.  :happy2:

I'll echo your comments Hedge, but for the first meet, wasn't a great day weather wise, but was great to see so many mk5's (and an imposter :smiley:), was early days of mk5 modding  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2012, 11:46:57 pm »
The first meet, was the best one for me. Like a lot things in life the first is often the best and most memorable. The pics of all the GTI's lined up was amazing.  :pomppomp:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2012, 12:05:19 am »
+1. It might've been foggy but loved it.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 08:04:24 am »

Who's this from the 1st big meet in stafford?

Think I've seen the car on monzas and badgeless honeycomb grille at work...

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2012, 09:33:36 am »
Part 3 - The Future

So on to the site's future, and in simple terms it's time for a change.

While the site has been a challenge at times I have still enjoyed my time running it but now I have to focus on some other priorities in life and as part of a major change in my career I need to find someone to take over the ownership / day to day running the site, i.e. as the site administrator.

It's needs to be someone with a true passion for it because it does take a lot of time and commitment!

You will also need some technical skills on web site hosting (apache webserver, PHP, MySQL and SMF Forum Software).

We have been approached in the past by other forums offering to take this place over but I would really like to find someone to take the site on and forward in something similar to it's current guise.

So if your interested in helping or just want to ask any questions please drop me a line

As always I appreciate all the contributions, help and support you have all given me and the site over the past 4 years  :notworthy: :notworthy:

Thanks,

SteveP

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 09:59:03 am »
Got to say its been a great forum from day one and has if I am honest been the best forum I go on. Even if it's just to see how many times Saint Steve can throw his toys out of the pram  :signLOL: . The first few get togethers we had were great even in the fog  :laugh: and I have met some great people on the site so lets hope that the site grows and only gets better  :drinking:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 10:22:00 am »
Well Mr.P

I'm afraid i don't have any of the skills required to run the site. Which is why i'd personally like to thank you for all you've done for this community and the obvious hard work/time and effort gone into it  :notworthy:

When reading the above, the mere thought of this forum changing made me feel sick to my stomach. I really hope there is someone willing and able to fill your very large shoes.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:  :love:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 10:27:04 am »
Well Mr.P

I'm afraid i don't have any of the skills required to run the site. Which is why i'd personally like to thank you for all you've done for this community and the obvious hard work/time and effort gone into it  :notworthy:

When reading the above, the mere thought of this forum changing made me feel sick to my stomach. I really hope there is someone willing and able to fill your very large shoes.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:  :love:

Your right his feet are mahoosive but his sausage fingers are even bigger.  :pomppomp: