Make a donation

Author Topic: A drive to remember....and a sound to die for!!  (Read 8226 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
A drive to remember....and a sound to die for!!
« on: November 21, 2008, 06:50:15 pm »

^ Where do I start? YES!!!! To answer your questions, she IS fully loaded!

She's got everything you would expect but also a couple of mods you'd expect to see but which aren't onboard. Not in any order of importance and not the complete list: GTI with over 300 bhp, Quaife ATB diff, K04, KW tailor-made suspension, full engine mounts, custom cams, custom Milltek, custom alloys, short shift Manual, competition clutch, etc etc etc - Introducing VW Racing's road legal demo GTI and I'm the first customer to drive her.

She's been setup with the suspension I've been discussing with VWR for myself (plus a huge amount of their expert advice) - Tailor-made based on KW Clubsport. Hence why I was driving her. Notice that I call this car "her" and "she" because I am so in love with it.

I was a bit surprised when I was handed the key and expected to negotiate her out of the workshop. Although I have driven quite a few Golfs of this power level it was the competition clutch I was wary of - I need not have been! Like a responsive woman, she rewarded my gentle approach. All the Mk5 GTI's and R32's I've driven have been smooth and she was no exception. A gentle exit onto a main road and a bit of power and.......GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! What a sound! I'm sure this metal-clad female is Brazilian! She sure knows how to roll an 'R'.

From the driver's seat she makes the most glorious sounds I've EVER heard from a 4-pot turbo - Race car sound which you don't need ear-plugs for! Forget any radio though! You are enjoying yourself far too much for such silly unnecessary distractions.

Mark told me they'd installed the Quaife only yesterday as they wanted to match my car as closely as possible for my judgement of the suspension being what I wanted - The ATB diff reacts to grip which is in turn influenced by suspension. As expected, she was completely flatly planted around the roundabouts and we started off by heading to a section of the A5 which is concrete pads and a good test. Harder than mine but not in the least bit harsh - The Audi S4 is still the harshest I have experienced. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Ooooh! That sound again! It's not just the exhaust music but I was getting off on hearing everything in the engine bay and even the rear brakes! Not a family car but a quasi religious experience.

I missed DSG and inevitably made a couple of wrong shifts but she obviously loved me as much as I loved her and forgave me instantly. I didn't stall her or crunch her box. She has loads of torque. Off into some sweeping country roads and then narrow twisties followed by lots of speed bumps. No problems anywhere. But she is an enthusiast's car and that's why I love her!

So, I was there for the suspension. Earlier in our discussions, VWR had initially tried the KW V2's and also with different spring ratings, but in the last few days they had decided to try the KW Clubsport (they have a technical partnership with KW Germany and can tailor-make). The Clubsport have the full adjustability of height, bump, and rebound and also camber if the top mounts are included. I have decided to leave out the top mounts until such time I may decide to do track days. Such adjustability allows VWR to precisely set up the characteristics of the suspension to their own requirements, rather than the pre defined requirements that KW put into dampers with less adjustment. Therefore allowing them to perfectly set the suspension to how you want it. The Whiteline AntiLift kit will be a good addition to the setup.

By the way, if you install the AntiLift kit it's advisable to upgrade the bushes on the other side of the wishbone. This is because the stock bushes are softer than the ones integrated into the Whiteline kit and loading will transfer to the weaker oem bush and could eventually cause failure.

What will I never forget? - Her feel and sounds! She is taut and tactile - Just how I like a ride to be.
Now, about the car..... :evilgrin:

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 06:52:03 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: A drive to remember....and a sound to die for!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 07:03:58 pm »
Great write-up Robin, the car looks lovely in the photo!

How different does the custom Milltek fitted on the VWR car sound to yours?

So the suspension your now looking at isnt a KW V1/V2/V3, its their Clubsport range - which is a separate range?

Chris  :smiley: :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:17:36 pm »

She sounds more growly - Literally with more rolling 'R's - You know how difficult it is to describe sound. It's a little louder than mine at lower revs. What excited me was hearing much more than just the exhaust and yet this car wasn't stripped out.

Yep, Clubsport is one above V3 and specifically designed for both road and track use by being able to adjust the camber easily via the top mount - Which I'm not having at this stage but can easily be added later, as can their new high lift system for negotiating ramps etc. But for comfort I'm not having race springs and those aren't on this car at the moment.

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:20:19 pm »
Any more pictures ?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
Any more pictures ?
Of the car or RR?   :wink:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:47:08 pm »
Not sure on those rediculous wheels! they can't have done much for the handling..!?
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 08:57:53 pm »
Not sure on those rediculous wheels! they can't have done much for the handling..!?

....Why would they be bad for the handling? (They're 19's btw).

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 11:34:32 pm »
She's too young for you Robin :grin:

Quote of the week has to be......

"I didn't stall her or crunch her box" :signLOL:

I'm starting to feel my wallet crying again :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline ukdub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 12:49:17 pm »
Good write up RR.  Glad your going for the Clubsports.  I would have as well, but just a bit out of my price range.  Getting the V3's fitted Monday instead. 
Laser Blue with K04 power, APR hardware controlled by REVO 2+ software
Chassis by KW V3's, Whiteline and a hint of PRO race 1.2's
Brakes by Brembo 4 pots

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 01:28:22 pm »
you lucky man.  Some camber on those front wheels!  Tyre wear might not be great

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 02:04:19 pm »
Great write up Robin. You are one lucky man! Who does the car belong to?  :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 02:47:37 pm »
Good write up RR.  Glad your going for the Clubsports.  I would have as well, but just a bit out of my price range.  Getting the V3's fitted Monday instead. 

.... :drinking: Cheers!

I'm expecting to get some of my money back when I sell the brand-new-in-a-sealed-box KoniFSD replacements (following their failure).

Out of curiosity, how are you setting up your V3's? Do you already know what settings will suit you or is an expert doing it for you?

I assume you'll laser-align her soon afterwards.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 02:54:05 pm »
you lucky man.  Some camber on those front wheels!  Tyre wear might not be great

....Not a problem - They are totally aware of that but VW Racing have lots of sponsors and replacement parts aren't a problem.

The great feature with KW Clubsports is that you can easily dial in and out the camber via the top mounts (which I'm not having at this stage).

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 03:11:20 pm »
Great write up Robin. You are one lucky man! Who does the car belong to?  :happy2:

....VWR = VW Racing and includes Racing Line Limited (RLL) :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 03:14:21 pm »