Make a donation

Author Topic: I'm addicted  (Read 4861 times)

Offline lswed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
I'm addicted
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:05:24 pm »
I've had the Ed for nigh on a month now and last night was the first time I got to give it a good spanking. I was gigling like a little child when I got home.

I was on my way home about 12 ish after visiting my mate. The road I use is an awesome mix of twisty dual carrigeway and very twisty A road. When its busy you normally get the brake for anything crowd on this road and its effing frustrating because it's like a mini Nurburgring ( In my head anyway  :rolleye:) but with less run off.

The last time I got to blat down here on my own was in the S4 (340 ish hp) now this was awesome but you couldn't exploit it that much due to size/handling (read that as I didn't have the balls to).  The Ed is different story altogether! This car for a factory hatchback is so sorted "out the box" I'm even more impressed with it now, the suspension for this road is spot on and the ammount of feedback you get from the chassis and suspension is great. When the nose does push wide It's so adjustable on the throttle if you give a little lift of the back end nudges around to get it back on line

To give you an idea of how much fun I was having it normally takes me 40+ mins to get to my mates but it only took 20 mins to get back last night.

I properly cooked the brakes though they gave up the ghost after the second roundabout they are proper poo really! looking forward to fitting the six pots and HEEUUUGGGEEE discs I think I'm going to look at the rear set up as well you can really feel the weight when your brakes are shot lol.

Next thing to save up for will be the diff, and you  know what I dont think it needs any more power maybe make it breath a little easier but thats about it. I had a couple of occasions when I got on the power a bit early in thrid gear and it started shuffling about on the road but the diff should sort that out ok.

anyway I'm buzzing so thought I would share my addiction with you

:driver:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: I'm addicted
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:18:13 pm »
Glad you happy! Tis a great little car! I assume that you were driving with ESP off? (definitely the only way to exploit the car's full potential where it is safe to do so blah blah blah  :smiley: )
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:28:12 pm »

That's exactly why the GTI/Ed30 is so addictive - They are so much fun and you feel directly in touch with everything - Taut and Tactile.

Cars with quattro etc are superb but you have to really push on before you get to feel their advantages - And on public roads that ain't so easy.

I'm afraid to say that a Quaife ATB diff will make a huge but subtle difference. Budget £1,500 incl everything for the DSG version and a couple of hundred less for manual version. It's an extremely underestimated mod in my opinion, but I hate wheelspin or understeer!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:24:06 pm »
Glad your loving the car.  :smiley:
I have to agree about the brakes they are fine for everyday use and a bit if spirited driving but if you want a session they are not good enough. on mine after about 10 mins the brake peddle turns to wood  :chicken: and you really have to stamp on it, i find it becomes inconsistent making it harder to judge your braking distances.   :party:

Offline lswed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:40:15 pm »

That's exactly why the GTI/Ed30 is so addictive - They are so much fun and you feel directly in touch with everything - Taut and Tactile.

Cars with quattro etc are superb but you have to really push on before you get to feel their advantages - And on public roads that ain't so easy.

I'm afraid to say that a Quaife ATB diff will make a huge but subtle difference. Budget £1,500 incl everything for the DSG version and a couple of hundred less for manual version. It's an extremely underestimated mod in my opinion, but I hate wheelspin or understeer!

Yea thats it. It can make masses of difference and is more effective than most suspension mods, I've never actually driven with an ATB only plate type diffs which are hard as nails. When you come from Quattro you see the shortcomings of two wheel drive lol.

The Diff is £500 odd and is it not a cartridge afair that is easily installed or does it need to be shimmed for preloadings etc?

You know what I never turned ESP of but it never got in the way, was I not driving hard enough for you  :P

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 03:57:23 pm »

I have to agree about the brakes they are fine for everyday use and a bit if spirited driving but if you want a session they are not good enough. on mine after about 10 mins the brake peddle turns to wood  :chicken: and you really have to stamp on it, i find it becomes inconsistent making it harder to judge your braking distances.   :party:

....It can be just as hard to judge with a Big Brake Kit - It's sometimes embarrassing stopping too early for a roundabout and having to get on the throttle again! Still, I'd rather that than end up actually ON the roundabout!!

It also takes some getting used to not touching your brakes while seeing all around you have been on theirs for a couple of hundred yards!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 04:33:02 pm »

Yea thats it. It can make masses of difference and is more effective than most suspension mods, I've never actually driven with an ATB only plate type diffs which are hard as nails. When you come from Quattro you see the shortcomings of two wheel drive lol.

The Diff is £500 odd and is it not a cartridge afair that is easily installed or does it need to be shimmed for preloadings etc?

You know what I never turned ESP of but it never got in the way, was I not driving hard enough for you  :P

Well then...from the sound of your write-up, your ESP is a lot less intrusive than mine!!!! Hence my question  :smiley:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 04:53:06 pm »
^^^^

My ESP isn't intrusive either.....Except when I've been very seriously glad it has been!!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:55:25 pm »
Mine has to be off on my standard ed30 or i tend to headbutt the steering wheel cus the esp almost cuts out 90% of the throttle applied. God knows what its like Remapped!.(uncontrolable).

But then im mad for not having mine remapped  :mad:  :fighting2:

:happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 05:21:31 pm »
lol, sorry to turn this into an ESP thread!!!!  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

It just caught my eye when the OP said that the car was adjustable on the throttle, and it shuffled when applying the power in 3rd gear a little early! My ESP has cut in wayyyyyyy before I'm given the chance to use the throttle to balance the car. Also, the ESP cuts all 'shuffle' when the power is applied too early completely. Hence why I assumed he was driving with it turned off!

Id much prefer your ESP system LSWE30, than mine! lol!  :laugh: :laugh:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 02:16:30 pm »
Glad to hear you are enjoying it they really are a fantastic car! I have a series of 3 roundabouts off my motorway junction and the speed that it can go round them for a car on standard suspension is extremely impressive, god knows how good it would be with coilovers and ARB's!  :rolleye: :happy2: 
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 02:36:58 pm »
I have a series of 3 roundabouts off my motorway junction and the speed that it can go round them for a car on standard suspension is extremely impressive,
god knows how good it would be with coilovers and ARB's! 
:rolleye: :happy2: 

....and a Quaife ATB diff!

What were you saying about your wallet and being on this internet forum, Tom? :evilgrin:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 02:53:52 pm »
I have a series of 3 roundabouts off my motorway junction and the speed that it can go round them for a car on standard suspension is extremely impressive,
god knows how good it would be with coilovers and ARB's! 
:rolleye: :happy2: 

....and a Quaife ATB diff!

What were you saying about your wallet and being on this internet forum, Tom? :evilgrin:

Tell me about it Robin! If I could stretch to any one of the three I would, times are hard in the golf trade at the moment!  :sad:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 03:34:13 pm »
Tell me about it Robin! If I could stretch to any one of the three I would, times are hard in the golf trade at the moment!  :sad:

....Times will change, they always do, these things come in waves. Meanwhile enjoy what you have and don't dwell on what you don't have, as I expect you already know!

So you best stop frequenting such forums as this and also stay well away from meets! :evilgrin:

If I could choose only one at a time of the three - ARB's, coilovers, or Quaife - I'd go for the Quaife first.
I would even go for the Quaife before a remap.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:36:38 pm by RedRobin »