Make a donation

Author Topic: How to change 3rd brake light without removing the spoiler!  (Read 27602 times)

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
Re: How to change 3rd brake light without removing the spoiler!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 09:08:45 am »
Thte new F revision of the light is a completely sealed unit unlike my original lamp tha had a couple of open sections.
If it dont work i will replace it again and make sure it is sealed but its still worth a go for 10% of the price you would pay from VW.

Also the bolts dont create a seal or connection they are on there to hold the rear lamp, the unit has a flyin lead with a grommet that connects inside the car.

VW have to fit the brake light correctly so this means they have to fit the bolts. Where as i dont so can leave them out and make it hold in with trim tape.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:14:10 am by Jaywoo-GTI »

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
i think robin had the best idea with a small hole.

although mine doent have a drop in it and all the LEDs work fine. (05, 43k)  :smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 09:08:10 pm »
I think if you catch it early the small hole is the best solution.  Unfortunately the first I knew of the problem was when I saw the rear LED in a reflection and it was flickering like a cheap set of xmas lights.  Then the individual LED's started to completely fail one by one until eventually they all failed.

I was quite baffled to begin with as I couldn't see any sign of condensation..... until one day I realised the problem was that it was FULL of water.

Ordered my new LED's today and will give the DIY fix a go next weekend.  I'll try and take some pictures to add to this thread...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 07:04:30 am »
Jaywoo

Just reread this thread http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3122.0
and am a bit confused - did yours just fall out or did you have to break it out?  Do you think your procedure is going to be typical for anyone else who attempts this?
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 10:14:56 am »
I had a go at takin it out a couple of week before i did the swap.
I prized it a little then heard a couple of snaps the it came straight out, At first i thought someone had had a go at takin it out but it was just the captive nuts in the unit thea snapped out,
Surprised how easy it actually came out.

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 10:24:37 pm »
Changed my light today with this method. 10 minute job! :happy2:

Offline baldwined30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 10:57:33 pm »
I need to do this, mine looks sh*t and really dim!!!! didnt think id have to break it but prob what VW do anyway!!
Ed30

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 10:19:38 pm »
Noticed mine the other day, was so dim I had to squint to see it  :smiley:  off to the stealers tomorrow then  :chicken:

Neutral

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:21 pm »
Hi guys I just had a mini service at VW. Among the plethora of things they recommended, I also was found to have the dreaded high level brake light not working. Was quoted £169 which I was amazed at. I've read through the posts but could someone tell me a bit more about how you DIY this job. I don't want to damage my spoiler. And where do you source the [presumably much cheaper than VW quote] part? Thanks all. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem hehe. It's funny as both my rear numberplate lights at hanging out by their wires as well. £61 to replace so not too bad. Almost feel like the car's been vandalised ffs. I'm getting a 12v in car camera with several hours ignition-off run-time when I get round to it. Can't stand the paranoia anymore.. :smiley:

Offline northernmunkey1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 09:32:48 am »
Hi guys I just had a mini service at VW. Among the plethora of things they recommended, I also was found to have the dreaded high level brake light not working. Was quoted £169 which I was amazed at. I've read through the posts but could someone tell me a bit more about how you DIY this job. I don't want to damage my spoiler. And where do you source the [presumably much cheaper than VW quote] part? Thanks all. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem hehe. It's funny as both my rear numberplate lights at hanging out by their wires as well. £61 to replace so not too bad. Almost feel like the car's been vandalised ffs. I'm getting a 12v in car camera with several hours ignition-off run-time when I get round to it. Can't stand the paranoia anymore.. :smiley:

I replaced mine recently as when I bought the car the light was completely not working so I wasn't sure if it was the light or faulty wiring.  So I took the chance and picked up a new one of eBay for under £60, read the forums unfortunately all the pictures was blocked because mainly being held ransom by companies like Photobucket asking you to now pay for third party sharing. 

Watched the following video which was a great guide.  Just take your time and don't slip.  My new one now works perfectly touch wood lol