Make a donation

Author Topic: APR/Race Developments Stage 4+ 700hp+ TTRS Build  (Read 71575 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Povertys TTRS
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 11:33:29 pm »
Then I decided to ditch the milltek in favour of a scorpion turbo back titanium exhaust.
This exhaust is the most beautiful piece of engineering I have ever got to touch I must say. Work of art!

And the weight saving is awesome too, i could lift the backbox with my two little fingers!

It turns blue after having got hot!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ts38q3ppl4khbgs2r4rq59fl0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:17 pm »
I bet that wasnt cheap, judging on all the welding done on it!  :scared:

Looks nice tho  :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 11:38:03 pm »
love the new brakes ansd the exhaust is a work of art

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 11:40:04 pm »
Thanks, it wasnt cheap no, but it is cheap when compared to the titanium exhausts prices of other manufacturers. With the amount of labour that goes into their Ti systems, I would say its actually a good price all things considered.

Its welded instead of bent, as bends decrease the diameter of the pipework apparently.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ts38q3ppl4khbgs2r4rq59fl0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »
Thanks, it wasnt cheap no, but it is cheap when compared to the titanium exhausts prices of other manufacturers. With the amount of labour that goes into their Ti systems, I would say its actually a good price all things considered.

Its welded instead of bent, as bends decrease the diameter of the pipework apparently.

If its done correctly and mandrel bent it shouldnt.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 11:44:05 pm »

[/quote]
thought mandrel bendind on the exhaust kept the same diameter :surprised:

beat to it :signLOL:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 12:05:11 am »
Wonder if its different for Ti? I was just told the bends where lasercut and then re-welded, instead of mandrel bent, its because mandrel bends reduce the diameter of the piperwork and add extra friction/resistance

More info on the workmanship from what my friend tells me who has some experience in this sort of thing:

A shop bender will crush the pipe to form that kind of elbow on Ti on the backbox.

With laser machines the cuts will roll to a nigh on perfect diameter, then tack them up and the bend will form very well, in the hands of a skilled sheety.

The welds will be done from the outside only, with a purge gas inside the pipe to stop oxidation and keep the weld pool stable. This also means a single pass, almost 'fuse' weld run that minimises distortion and results in a smooth inner joint surface, plus a luvlly jubbly exterior weld pattern.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 12:08:44 am »
Wonder if its different for Ti? I was just told the bends where lasercut and then re-welded, instead of mandrel bent, its because mandrel bends reduce the diameter of the piperwork and add extra friction/resistance

More info on the workmanship from what my friend tells me who has some experience in this sort of thing:

A shop bender will crush the pipe to form that kind of elbow on Ti on the backbox.

With laser machines the cuts will roll to a nigh on perfect diameter, then tack them up and the bend will form very well, in the hands of a skilled sheety.

The welds will be done from the outside only, with a purge gas inside the pipe to stop oxidation and keep the weld pool stable. This also means a single pass, almost 'fuse' weld run that minimises distortion and results in a smooth inner joint surface, plus a luvlly jubbly exterior weld pattern.

Yeah.. thats what you REALLY dont want, as it almost halves the diameter on a 90degree bend.

What you get with mandrel bending is a variation in the wall thickness of the tubing.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:14:36 am by richwig83 »

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 12:12:31 am »
Im glad you guys know about this stuff as I sure dont  :signLOL:

Learnt so many new things as I go along with this project

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 06:05:04 am »
Jase

What did you do with your std calipers?

You fancy selling them?

Sold them a while ago! My mate will have his up for sale not too long from now though, i'll keep you in mind when he does  :happy2:

Cheers jase.

Tell him he needs to upgrade his sooner rather than later  :signLOL:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 08:30:13 am »
Then replaced the stock intercooler hoses for some uprated forge ones. Another great forge product!

I will take this time to show you guys what we then did to my friends TTRS roadster! Hes stage 2 with a full milltek race exhaust, but we ditched the milltek race backbox for a custom single exit "race can". Basically think of a silencer about the size of one fitted to a race bike! It is loud!

We came across a THS intercooler for free, and we were wondering what we could do with it. So, we decided to cram it behind the roadsters engine bay somehow!

And so this is what we came up with. Removed the air conditioning rad, attempted to remove the A/C pump aswell, but thats required due to the way the belts run on the engine. For it to fit we also had to cut the crash bar.

Then we painted the intercooler black for the stealth look.

End results via logging shows that temps are even cooler than my forge, and will peak at a certain temp and not increase anymore, but if you ask me whether its worth massacaring your TTRS for the small gain over the forge unit, I would say no. Therefore the coupe wont be going this route, and it did highlight actually how well the forge unit is actually designed, as the temps differences werent that big!

Brian @ BNAutoteknik DK did this with a THS on Mulen's car 3 years ago  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:04 pm »
Yeah that's where we got the idea from. The promise of intake temps only 6 degrees above ambient never materialised though. We can't get the temps over 44 degrees though, whilst my forge will sit about 10-12 degrees higher than that on the same run. Personally I wish we never did the mod now. Will probably swap it out for a forge race intercooler as not having a crash bar is just stupid IMO

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 03:20:16 pm »
The Scorpion looks like a lovely bit of kit. Need to get saving!

Am I right in thinking that you are going balls out stage 3 with this Pov?
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »
Yeah it's going to be a stage 4 car when finished. If I have the time tonight I'll post up about those bits.

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 03:35:05 pm »
Same sort of spec as Jonny's then? Should be hilarious! Look forward to the updates!
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic